The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mic id please Condenser Microphones
Old 14th December 2014
Gear Addict

mic id please

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can id this microphone being used in this not so great picture from 1986-87.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
mic id please-img_0018.jpg  
Old 14th December 2014
wiz1der, are you kidding?

R.
Old 15th December 2014
AKG C-451 or C-452 with the SA18/1 stand adapter.

Not a mic that I would ever use for close vocal recording, especially for gospel or blues singers. Even with the hoop screen, that mic will pop like crazy...
Old 15th December 2014
Gear Addict

Thanks Tim!

It did seem odd to me but that still is from a vid of one of the most classic rap albums ever made, and that footage has not seen the light of day yet, so i cant give up details yet.
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

Isaac Hayes vocal for Shaft was recorded with a AKG 451.

Denny
Old 11th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz1der View Post
Thanks Tim!

It did seem odd to me but that still is from a vid of one of the most classic rap albums ever made, and that footage has not seen the light of day yet, so i cant give up details yet.

So the footage has made it out into the world (used on HBO's "The Defiant Ones" documentary about Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine. This historical footage was shot by Steve Yano of Roadium swap meet fame (he introduced Dr. Dre to eazy E), this mic is what all of the early N.W.A, Eazy E, Ice Cube, JJ Fad, D.O.C stuff was done on.

Those vocals sound damn good...
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So the footage has made it out into the world (used on HBO's "The Defiant Ones" documentary about Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine. This historical footage was shot by Steve Yano of Roadium swap meet fame (he introduced Dr. Dre to eazy E), this mic is what all of the early N.W.A, Eazy E, Ice Cube, JJ Fad, D.O.C stuff was done on.

Those vocals sound damn good...
Are you certain the footage was shot during the actual recording takes?

Not disputing, just saying that there are plenty of examples of video footage from rehearsals, out-takes or staged shoots where people are shown singing into mics that aren't the ones that were actually used for the takes that user in the published track. FWIW.
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
Are you certain the footage was shot during the actual recording takes?

Not disputing, just saying that there are plenty of examples of video footage from rehearsals, out-takes or staged shoots where people are shown singing into mics that aren't the ones that were actually used for the takes that user in the published track. FWIW.
Yes I am. 1000%
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I am. 1000%
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

Saw this as well and wondered what it was and why they used it. Seemed to be the most prominent mic in the early footage.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search