The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help Me Out Condenser Microphones
Old 12th December 2014
Help Me Out

Hello all, recently, I've been trying to decide on a new mic to get to record vocals. First, I had enough money to choose between a Telefunken Elam 251e and a Sony C800G. Then, something happened and I no longer could spend that much. I then was considering another Neumann 87ai or a Manley Ref. C. I then added a Bock 241, a Neumann M149, and a Telefunken Elam 251F to that bunch.

I can't find a Telefunken Elam 251F for the life of me and Telefunken seems content with Bock taking their potential customers so they have no plans to make more 251Fs. That just leaves the others. I've heard of some tube issues with the M149 so I was weary on it. I've owned a C800G before but I had no idea what the hell I was doing when I had it and ended up having to sell it.

I record modern sounding music. I process the crap out of my vocals and my sound is not unlike a Chris Brown or T-Pain sounding vocal. I'm not referring to the autotune, I'm referring to the presence and overall clarity of the vocal sound. Recently, Chris Brown made a song called "No Lights", this is the sound that I go for when I make my songs. Now, in this song, his vocals had a little something I didn't like on the top end, but overall, it was what I usually go for when I make my music and this song was recorded with a Telefunken Elam 251 although I don't know the exact model.

Any advise on which I should spring for? Also, it wouldn't hurt if you knew anyone willing to get rid of a Telefunken 251F.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search