The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA 4-710d - Anyone using it and how is the headroom?
Old 11th December 2014
Here for the gear

UA 4-710d - Anyone using it and how is the headroom?

Hello,

I am considering picking up one of these, however I have a few questions:

1 - How is the headroom? I have an LA 610 MkII and I did a tube mod on the output tubes for both the pre and compressor based on this article LA-610 Simple improvements. Made a huge difference in how the unit performs and cost to performance ratio is one of the best I've done yet on any gear. However, I am wondering if the 4-710d suffers from the same symptoms when stock?

2 - I'm on Pro Tools 8.1 HD|2 Accell. Seems I should be able to hook this sucker up direct to my AES/EBU connector via DB25 cable on my 192 IO which should add 8 more inputs to my current rig. Does it also require a coax for the clock? Do I need a specific kind of DB25 as I have a few lying around.

3 - If mods are needed, has anyone done it? What tubes did you use?

Thanks for all your input!

TJ
Old 11th December 2014
Gear Nut

i think the best mod would be to completely remove the compressor stage and make it a dedicated preamp. rip out all the digital stuff too and let the tubes breathe with proper voltages.
it's obvious compromises have been made to accommodate all the
features (bells and whistles) and this means cutting down on the attention to the pre.
when i used it i never even touched the compressor it just made things sound smaller.
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

I have every confidence in the UA4-710d pre. Unlike Clive Banks I use the 1176
limiting on every track and will occasionally use the comp when dealing with certain singers with tendencies to produce dynamic overshoots. I do not use the "Tube Effect" to warm any track: I have an ADL600 that is much better at that task. Your best bet to generate a warm tube sound is to buy one of the very good tube mics that are now available. (Peluso, Pearlmen. RodeK2, AT4060, etc,etc)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search