The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic distortion from lunchbox
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Mic distortion from lunchbox

Today I was getting an intermittent, almost digital sounding distortion in my mic (MA201 fet). It seemed to be related to volume, but I couldn't be sure. It didn't sound like the mic was overloading, but more like it was glitching, if that makes any sense.

I have a Radial sixpack, all six slots of which are filled. Preamp is a TG2 500. I did a power cycle, swapped mic cables, tried a different mic -- the distortion "glitches" remained.

Finally, I turned the power off again, straightened out and reinserted some of the TRS cables in back (Mogami), and turned it all back on.

This seems to have fixed it. But why?

It was either the lunchbox or the TG2 causing the problem.

Is it possible the TRS cable was picking up interference from other cables? Or could a loose connector cause this problem, hence reinserting the cable solved it?

Could this be a symptom of the module not receiving enough power? My apartment building sometimes has brownouts.

Any ideas?
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Maniac

bump
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

without a sample of the sound, the best anyone here can do is speculate.
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear
I say cables
Old 10th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks. I'll see if I have any audio clips saved in the project.
Old 10th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Here are some samples. One just has a pop towards the beginning, and the other is distorted throughout.

Again, it wasn't the mic or mic cable, and it's working fine now. Could a loose insert cable do this? It's either that, the TG2 or the lunchbox itself.
Attached Files

0002 7-Audio-1 copy.wav (437.3 KB, 83 views)

0001 7-Audio-3 copy.wav (479.7 KB, 129 views)

Old 10th December 2014
Gear Maniac

bump
Old 11th December 2014
Gear Maniac

bump
Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear

Just on AKG phones -at a moderate volume and there's not a lot of low freq extension on those- but I hear a crunch' on the word 'up , on both tracks.
Old 11th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Just on AKG phones -at a moderate volume and there's not a lot of low freq extension on those- but I hear a crunch' on the word 'up , on both tracks.
Right, but the first file is distorting throughout.
Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManaTau80 View Post
Today I was getting an intermittent, almost digital sounding distortion in my mic (MA201 fet). It seemed to be related to volume, but I couldn't be sure. It didn't sound like the mic was overloading, but more like it was glitching, if that makes any sense.

I have a Radial sixpack, all six slots of which are filled. Preamp is a TG2 500. I did a power cycle, swapped mic cables, tried a different mic -- the distortion "glitches" remained.

Finally, I turned the power off again, straightened out and reinserted some of the TRS cables in back (Mogami), and turned it all back on.

This seems to have fixed it. But why?

It was either the lunchbox or the TG2 causing the problem.

Is it possible the TRS cable was picking up interference from other cables? Or could a loose connector cause this problem, hence reinserting the cable solved it?

Could this be a symptom of the module not receiving enough power? My apartment building sometimes has brownouts.

Any ideas?

I had experienced this with TRS connectors on my VoxBox once, they told me that what happens is they can get dirty or oxidize from time to time when not used, no big, just clean and move on. Seems like you re-inserting the TRS may have removed some of any buildup on the connector.
Old 11th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Interesting. The cables had been in use the whole time, so I'm not sure that was it. It could have been the actual input on the lunchbox.

Any other ideas? The first clip I posted is seriously distorted.
Old 12th December 2014
Gear Maniac

bump
Old 12th December 2014
Gear Maniac

bump
Old 12th December 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
Wait for it to go wrong again then try various 'experiments' one at a time to see what 'cures' it. All suggestions from outside can only be speculation.
Matt S
Old 12th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManaTau80 View Post
Interesting. The cables had been in use the whole time, so I'm not sure that was it. It could have been the actual input on the lunchbox.

Any other ideas? The first clip I posted is seriously distorted.
It doesn't matter if they've been plugged in for extended periods of time, things get dirty/corroded just sitting plugged in. Your connection is no different than a patch in a bay.

As I mentioned in your other thread, you should post pictures of your setup; it sounds like you have other issues going on.
Old 12th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubehead View Post
It doesn't matter if they've been plugged in for extended periods of time, things get dirty/corroded just sitting plugged in. Your connection is no different than a patch in a bay.

As I mentioned in your other thread, you should post pictures of your setup; it sounds like you have other issues going on.
Got it. Probably the connection then.

I responded in the other thread, but I don't think there's anything wrong with my setup.

Thanks for all the help. Out of curiosity, did you listen to the file? Did it sound similar to your experience with the VoxBox?
Old 13th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Still curious if my file matches up with what a dirty cable normally sounds like.
Old 13th December 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
Gold plating on both plug and socket contacts is 'best' but ONLY for connectors that are put together then left untouched, such as EDAC and 'DL' multipin connectors used on desks.
Connectors that are to be plugged and replugged regularly should NOT be gold, as it is soft and will wear away so silver or other alloy types should be used and importantly CLEANED periodically. Most designs will 'self clean' by the action of being unplugged and then replugged, some need a bit of help with a proper cleaner.
This was a job for the 'tape op' in years gone by.
Maintenance, it is a bit like clearing the fast food cartons out when they get up to knee high.
Matt S
Old 14th December 2014
Gear Maniac

I've never heard that before. Thanks for the info.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search