The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flea 49: what capsule and what valve do you have? Condenser Microphones
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear

Flea 49: what capsule and what valve do you have?

I'm going to buy a Flea 49, also after the great words i read from great guys like Palermo, [email protected], Plush and many other.
So i would like to know the capsule and the valve that are in your Flea49.
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
I'm going to buy a Flea 49, also after the great words i read from great guys like Palermo, [email protected], Plush and many other.
So i would like to know the capsule and the valve that are in your Flea49.
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear

In my FLEA 49 mics I have the stock FLEA 49 capsule and the ac701 tube.
You have to ask Ivan for the ac701 and it is some extra money for the real tube.

The other thing you should decide about is whether you want a continuously variable pattern control on the power supply or whether you prefer the FLEA standard power supply which has only omni, cardioid, and figure-of-eight selections.

The original Neumann M49 had continuously variable pattern control.

It is a great mic. It is from FLEA.
Old 9th December 2014
I bought mine used. I have no clue what is in it. I use my ears to make decisions about gear. Not spec sheets (I know, crazy and radical). All i can tell you is, it sounds great!
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
In my FLEA 49 mics I have the stock FLEA 49 capsule and the ac701 tube.
You have to ask Ivan for the ac701 and it is some extra money for the real tube.

The other thing you should decide about is whether you want a continuously variable pattern control on the power supply or whether you prefer the FLEA standard power supply which has only omni, cardioid, and figure-of-eight selections.

The original Neumann M49 had continuously variable pattern control.

It is a great mic. It is from FLEA.
Thank you Plush for these information!
Have you checked the flea 49 with the Non Ac701 capsule?
If so what differences have you noticed?
What do you suggest about the continuosly variable pattern?
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I bought mine used. I have no clue what is in it. I use my ears to make decisions about gear. Not spec sheets (I know, crazy and radical). All i can tell you is, it sounds great!
Hi Trev,
i was going to ask you on the flea 49!
But now i am so curious to know what valve is in your great sounding Flea 49.
Old 9th December 2014
QRS
Gear Maniac

AC701/M7 with variabel patterns.
wonderful sounding microphone !
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you Plush for these information!
Have you checked the flea 49 with the Non Ac701 capsule?
If so what differences have you noticed?
What do you suggest about the continuosly variable pattern?
I am curious too :-) I had the stock Flea49 for a test but it seems to have a very different sound from a vintage Neumann M49... So maybe the Ac701 is an important part of the overall "M49 sound"?
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

No I only have heard the FLEA 49 with the ac701 tube and the stock FLEA capsule. Next to a Neumann M49 here it sounds very close to the olden microphone.
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

I have a newish flea 49 (not sure what tube) that we recently compared it to a vintage m49b and almost very one preferred the flea. Both were great smooth velvety big, 3d but the flea 49 had a touch more presence and an even bigger bottom than the Neumann. Conversely we slightly preferred a particularly wonderful Neumann U47 to the Flea 47 as the Neumann had a little more suppleness to it. Again it's really splitting hairs. I think Flea knows how to build a great mic and I would go with whatever they're are recommending.
Old 10th December 2014
QRS
Gear Maniac

scary close to original M49's with my flea. yes, it has a little bit more bottom.
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
I have a newish flea 49 (not sure what tube) that we recently compared it to a vintage m49b and almost very one preferred the flea. Both were great smooth velvety big, 3d but the flea 49 had a touch more presence and an even bigger bottom than the Neumann. Conversely we slightly preferred a particularly wonderful Neumann U47 to the Flea 47 as the Neumann had a little more suppleness to it. Again it's really splitting hairs. I think Flea knows how to build a great mic and I would go with whatever they're are recommending.
Hi Palermo,
I would be grateful if you would check the capsule and the valve inserted in your Flea 49 because I have in high regard your ratings.
Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Palermo,
I would be grateful if you would check the capsule and the valve inserted in your Flea 49 because I have in high regard your ratings.
I know the capsule is the flea m7, I'll email flea and see if they can tell me the tube.
Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
I know the capsule is the flea m7, I'll email flea and see if they can tell me the tube.
The Flea Capsule is the F7.
Ok, it's a Non Ac701 tube.
If you do not ask specifically for the ac701 they do not put it in the mic.
And Actually Flea do not offer anymore the ac701 option.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search