The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley Vari Mu vs Mercury 66
Old 8th December 2014
Gear Addict

Manley Vari Mu vs Mercury 66

Anyone compare the two? Not for 2bus. Speaking mono insert mainly for vocals and also other things. Manley version is the 4A.
Old 12th December 2014
QRS
Gear Maniac

i have two M66 and once compared to a manley varimu. difference was the mercury M66 had more weight to the sound, more breath (or something like that, haha) and was darker - but not like turning down high freq on an Eq... very big sounding.
NOT saying the manley was bad - it´s a very good comp!
Old 12th December 2014
Lives for gear

Also depends on what Vari mu (there are 4? versions). The most desirable being the 6386 model with Sowter transformers. It is one big fat creamy compressor, the one that made them popular.
Old 13th December 2014
Lives for gear
I have not heard the mercury, but the vari mu is pretty transparent. It's not one of those mild distortion boxes that a lot of people want from compressors. Makes things bigger but without much vibe.
Old 13th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
I have not heard the mercury, but the vari mu is pretty transparent. It's not one of those mild distortion boxes that a lot of people want from compressors. Makes things bigger but without much vibe.

You must have a different vari mu than I do. Mine has tons of vibe. I have the 6386, out of curiosity which do you have?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search