The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL bus compressor 500 series vs mynx mini x-rack
Old 5th December 2014
Here for the gear
SSL bus compressor 500 series vs mynx mini x-rack

Hey everyone!. Long time dweller of gearslutz and possibly first time poster. I'll get right to the point...

Has anyone tried the SLL bus compressor 500 series vs the mynx mini? I'm summing with the shadow hills equinox and I'd like to have a little glue on the mix before sending it back inside the box.

I'm not looking to get into a discussion about inside the box vs summing because I do both depending on the situation. I glue with UAD's SSL on tracks I mix down in the box and it sounds great but now I'm looking for that summing mixer counter part in SSL.

500 series vs mynx.... anyone?

Thanks!

------------------------------------
Twitter
Old 5th December 2014
DKT
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridwav View Post
Hey everyone!. Long time dweller of gearslutz and possibly first time poster. I'll get right to the point...

Has anyone tried the SLL bus compressor 500 series vs the mynx mini? I'm summing with the shadow hills equinox and I'd like to have a little glue on the mix before sending it back inside the box.

I'm not looking to get into a discussion about inside the box vs summing because I do both depending on the situation. I glue with UAD's SSL on tracks I mix down in the box and it sounds great but now I'm looking for that summing mixer counter part in SSL.

500 series vs mynx.... anyone?

Thanks!

------------------------------------
Twitter
Have yet to use the X Rack G Comp but received the new 500 (with the sidechain filter) a few days ago and it definetly does a good job of what you expect.

I can't imagine (in terms of manufacturing) SSL changed the circuit much (if at all) between the two.
Old 5th December 2014
Here for the gear
I have a lunchbox so it would make sense to buy the 500 series version. I saw the mynx version and figured I'd ask around before dropping that kind of cash on it. Thanks for your input!
Old 5th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKT View Post
...received the new 500 (with the sidechain filter)...
Sidechain? I've been eying the 500 Series SSL comp but have been dissuaded by folks posting that without a sidechain it was less useful than its clones. Will the SSL 500 stand-alone module now have a sidechain filter or is this just for XL-Desk version?
Old 5th December 2014
DKT
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
Sidechain? I've been eying the 500 Series SSL comp but have been dissuaded by folks posting that without a sidechain it was less useful than its clones. Will the SSL 500 stand-alone module now have a sidechain filter or is this just for XL-Desk version?
The XL "version" is just a standard 2 slot 500 module. From what I was told when talking about it with SSL, they planned on releasing it standalone. But don't quote that as gospel though - Jim @ SSL would know the actual answer.

From what I gather, it's only included with the XL Desk at the moment so buyers don't feel shorted in 3 months (or however long it takes to officially release). It would seem strange for them to not sell a desirable product standalone.
Old 6th December 2014
Gear Guru

I much preferred the Dramastic Obsidian to the SSL 500.
try before you buy.
Old 8th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
+1

This seems to be shared by anyone who's listened to both. The C1LA is the other preferable option.
I had the C1LA for a couple weeks.
nice box.reminded me of my old smart c2 comp.
by comparison a bit more hard sounding in your face..liked on drums and room mics, whereas the obsidian is a bit more 3d hifi.my money would still be on the Obsidian.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search