The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shipping High End Vintage Consoles Channel Strip Plugins
Old 4th December 2014
Lives for gear

Shipping High End Vintage Consoles

Anyone have any advice on shipping an old API or Neve console?

Something that's going 2000 miles. And is delicate.

Has wiring loose in the back and on the bottom.... I guess that can be zip tied to the frame before shipping...

Is it smart to take the legs off? Crate? No crate?
Old 4th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Number each module and remove all of them. Pack each module well and box them up. Ship the frame and modules separately. Bucket load of blankets and bubble wrap for the frame.
Old 4th December 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyquist View Post
Number each module and remove all of them. Pack each module well and box them up. Ship the frame and modules separately. Bucket load of blankets and bubble wrap for the frame.
All of the above and have the frame with legs on crated and if long some support underneath..

Old 4th December 2014
Lives for gear

All the above is fine if the frame is robust.

If its a Neve or API you should be fine otherwise if its something a bit more flimsy then I'd put the modules in the desk so the structural integrity remains and any PC boards do not come dismounted or bent/snapped during transport.

I have seen both a Harrison and AMEK 2500 shipped with Modules inside and also stripped out and bubble wrapped and sealed bags of sand placed inside the frame to ensure that that stays in the same shape without being bent out of tolerance. If this happens then its a long painful and almost futuile trip to repair a desk and nothing sits or seats perfedtly every again. Your input modules will be on Ebay if you still want to keep your sanity and hair!

Wiggy
Old 7th December 2014
API
Lives for gear

I once shipped a Neve 8048 from the US to Sweden and used Craters and freighters.
Best packingjob ever and amazing service, they even custom made a zipcover for the whole desk to make it air and water tight during shipping.
Old 8th December 2014
member no 666

Some of the larger Neve frames [32+ inputs] had sagging issues [8078's 8088's, 8048's, etc.] so when you have the frame crated make sure they install a frame support somewhere around the middle of the console.

The console should be picked up and placed on the center support on the deck of the crate and the rest of the crate should be built with the desk inside. With that kind of crating I've left the modules in those desks without issue or struggle though that's not the way they were delivered from the factory.

I've moved them "modules in" and "modules out"... its more expensive to move them "modules out" but in theory its a better method. Like I said I never had a problem moving them "modules in"... but I've only moved like 15 or 20 of them that way... the rest went "modules out".

Best of luck with your move.

Peace
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search