The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A question for those of you with high end home studios
Old 4th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
I suppose I was also wondering how people with the expensive gear afford it. Whether the gear pays for itself or its paid for by other means. It seems like most of you guys have other jobs, which I'm assuming pay quite handsomely, and use their discretionary income on gear. I don't have 100k in gear, maybe half that, which I've used my day job to pay for, but so far I've only recorded myself and my band and I'm wondering if it's a waste and I should get out there and record people, even if it's for minimal money since I'm not a professional.

So I guess I can narrow down my original question to "how many of you guys with obscene amounts of gear have it mainly only for your own benefit?" so far, it seems like there are at least a few of you. If I have the wrong impressions, feel free to correct me, this is only what I've inferred from what's been said so far.
If you want to record other bands, yes but if it that is not something you really want to do then definitely no. The experience could be good and help with recording your bands stuff but I don't know how much, compared to other avenues for learning, videos, classes, making friends with a full time engineer who will let you sit in and help. You have the gear to try anything you want out, which is a major road block for folks just starting out.

Personally I love working with musicians, even the crazy ones but I'm not trying to feed my family currently with the studio so there is no pressure. I'm sure some folks would think it's dumb building up such a nice collection of gear but people with means buy boats, wood working shops full of very nice tools, lathes etc.. I've seen garages packed with incredible amounts of tools for rebuilding cars for fun and tiny profits. Besides my family, my studio and music is who I am, I even get a kick out of soldering.

So I would say no, don't worry about recording other bands just because you can. Especially if you are pursuing any time of success as a musician, practice the instrument, write the songs, keep the engineering second or eventually it will become first, at least in my experience. Which I'm fine with.

Plus if you don't really want to record other people, leaving those possible clients for full time folks is a great thing.
Old 4th December 2014
As far as zoning goes, I would guess pretty much anywhere you could set up basically as how tax prepare folks work. A space under the sq ft limitations, no noise to bother neighbors and only 1-2 clients at a time. Keeping it to that level of studio should not be a problem with a city. I would guess HOAs would be a bigger hurdle. It's not that much work to get something like this set up properly. It's a good idea to call and talk to someone with out doing to paperwork first, be straight up about your plans, they will tell you if it's going to get shot down.

Going full time multi-room studio in a house, yeah you better make sure that is 100% legit unless you like wasting money.
Old 4th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Im no lawyer but I don't think its technically racketeering to report someone who is opperating illegally.

No it isn't - but it is racketeering when you try to strongarm someone into giving up their business, so you yourself don't lose clients.

I don't have all the details, so I don't know that this is what the studios did, but it has been reported that may of them tried - in one way or another - to weed out these smaller home studios.

I think psycho_monkey summed it up pretty well with The issue comes when you're inviting clients into your home.

Cheers.
Old 5th December 2014
Gear Nut

mixing
Old 5th December 2014
Lives for gear

I have my studio in my house with its own private entrance. All of the gear for the most part that I own was from years ago when I had a commercial music recording studio. Back then it was more viable as a business. I had it open for about 12 years. I ended up moving into post production as there's a stronger economy there.

Now a days, my business model with my home studio is to deal directly with mixers, engineers, & producers- not bands or artists. I make the deal with them- they figure out what their deal is with their artist. It makes it simpler- and I've known most all the engineers for many years and trust them. New engineers must be referred.

The income basically covers costs and allows for upgrades & improvements- or the occasional gear purchase; but I already have plenty of gear. I've also been doing this about 25 years now. This allows me to work in my own studio in my home either on my own stuff or with artists when I want.
Old 5th December 2014
Lives for gear

I don't know if I qualify to respond, but my gear does fall in the range you specified.

I'm not a commercial facility-I don't charge for recording. I bought the stuff to record myself because even though I have moved on to another career, I still love to write and record. I have recorded a small handfull of friends/acquaintences so far,but the quirks of human nature keep me from recording very many other people at all.

What I mean by that is this: I have offered to probably a dozen and a half people since I began building my setup the opportunity to come record at no charge. Because I'm not charging they must think the opportunity has no value, because only a very small handful of people have ever taken me up on the offer.

I recently have changed my strategy regarding my home studio. I'm selling off everything that involves mixing and focusing on converting my space into something that I can use to augment using a proper studio. I'm doing this because I have realized 3 things:

1. My room just isn't big enough to capture drums sounding the way I want them to sound.

2. My room is so far from giving an accurate monitoring environment that it isn't worth it to me to do what would be necessary to get it there, in large part due to my third realization, which is...

3. I'm just not going to develop into a good recording engineer given the amount of time I can spend on honing the craft. Or if I do, it will be to the detriment of developing as an artist, which is what I care about in the first place.

I have realized that instead of trying to replace a professional studio and engineer, my best move is to create a setup that allows me to track some stuff at home while replying on the pros for the heaviest lifting, namely drums and mixing. I also realzed that my recordings would benefit from working with a producer again.
Old 5th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post

The income basically covers costs and allows for upgrades & improvements- or the occasional gear purchase; but I already have plenty of gear.
Oh My God.....YES YOU DO HAVE PLENTY OF GEAR!!!!1

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search