The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3(4) Slot Rack for Hip Hop Vocals 500 Series Dynamics
Old 1st December 2014
Here for the gear

3(4) Slot Rack for Hip Hop Vocals

Hey Guys,

need a little bit help with my 500er rack. Ive got the AMS Neve 1073 Preamp and an Advanced Audio CM87 mic. I need one compressor and one EQ for my full rack.

Ive read sooo much about the API 525 , the Buzz audio Essence , Chimera , Petes Place BAC 500. Also from the EQ, the AMS neve One, the Great River 32EQ, the Avedis E27 and so on.

too much choises.

What you prefer ? I like the colorful way of the Neve 1073, maybe some sort of warm color EQ and Comp ?

I use the vocal rack only for Male Vox @ Hip Hop (Rap n RnB).

tia

Sarge
Old 1st December 2014
Add an Avedis e27 eq and an AML 2254 compressor. Or lose the AMS 1073 and add the AML 1073.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSarge View Post
Hey Guys,

need a little bit help with my 500er rack. Ive got the AMS Neve 1073 Preamp and an Advanced Audio CM87 mic. I need one compressor and one EQ for my full rack.

Ive read sooo much about the API 525 , the Buzz audio Essence , Chimera , Petes Place BAC 500. Also from the EQ, the AMS neve One, the Great River 32EQ, the Avedis E27 and so on.

too much choises.

What you prefer ? I like the colorful way of the Neve 1073, maybe some sort of warm color EQ and Comp ?

I use the vocal rack only for Male Vox @ Hip Hop (Rap n RnB).

tia

Sarge
Old 2nd December 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Add an Avedis e27 eq and an AML 2254 compressor. Or lose the AMS 1073 and add the AML 1073.
ive purchased the Petes Place BAC 500 Compressor, but now one EQ is left

Avedis e27, Greatriver ? one of those ?
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Neve 551.
Old 2nd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSarge View Post
ive purchased the Petes Place BAC 500 Compressor, but now one EQ is left

Avedis e27, Greatriver ? one of those ?
Depends what you want it for. For recording, Avedis. For mixing, great river.

The Pete's place would be low on my list for vocals (and yes, I do have one).
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Id go for the neve 1073 EQ and an inward connections brute. It's not just the preamp in a 1073 that makes it so desirable and they did a great job on the 500 series EQ. Would go for the brute because it sounds amazing and they don't make a cl-1b in 500 series. The cl-1b is a pretty classic hip hop compressor great for all kinds of vocals really the brute will do something pretty similar.
Old 6th December 2014
Lives for gear
I do the same genre music and just went through these options. I've settled on an Awtac Channel Amplifier for pre and eq and currently in between their comp and the Aml 54f50.

Ez1073 and 54f50

Or

Awtac channel amplifier and channel compressor

Avedis ma5/eq and either above mentioned comp

Either one would do.
Old 6th December 2014
Lives for gear
By the way...I've had and sold both the bac and brute.
Old 6th December 2014
Lives for gear

I got the Warm Audio WA76 a couple of days ago and it's killer for rap vocals (which is at least 90% of what I do). Killer price too.

Edit: didn' catch this was 500-series...
Old 7th December 2014
Gear Addict

Try a retro audio or pendulum compressor and a SSL or API eq for 500 series gear.

Waves and UA have nice Ssl and API software.
Old 8th December 2014
Lives for gear
Let's not forget about the Electra eq...gets you where you're trying to go quickly.
Old 8th December 2014
Lives for gear

yep, the AwTAC Channel Amp is killer. I do have some invested interest here but I didn't get onboard with AwTAC for the vast numbers I'd be doing but rather, because it was the most impressive thing I listened to. I also use a pair as a mix insert with an SSL G comp

My personal vocal track/mix rack:

AwTAC Channel Amp>AwTAC Compressor>Derressor>Maag EQ4

sometime I change the AwTAC Compressor for the Empress ECM-519
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear
Nice chain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
yep, the AwTAC Channel Amp is killer. I do have some invested interest here but I didn't get onboard with AwTAC for the vast numbers I'd be doing but rather, because it was the most impressive thing I listened to. I also use a pair as a mix insert with an SSL G comp

My personal vocal track/mix rack:

AwTAC Channel Amp>AwTAC Compressor>Derressor>Maag EQ4

sometime I change the AwTAC Compressor for the Empress ECM-519
That's a nice chain! I ran a vocal back through the Awtac Channel Amp...talking bout tone! Would love to have a pair. I'm waiting on my Awtac Comp as we speak. How's the tone on their comp?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search