The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is API = Melcor Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 30th November 2014
Lives for gear

Is API = Melcor

I am curious to know any history in regards to this aspect.

It appears there is some documentation on Saul Walker from API being inspired by Melcor Electronics in the late 60s and that he may have in fact had ex-Melcor engineers design the famous 2520 OpAmp. Melcor as most of us know uses the 1731 OpAmp. The Melcor pieces included GME-20 Eq, CL-20 Limiter and so forth.

I recently saw a picture of a sale of one of these "Melcor" CL-20 pieces, which has the 2520 installed and had documentation advising to return to "API" for service and NOT to Melcor. Is it possible this was somewhat a 525 proto-type called a 'Special CL-20"?

I am curious to know thoughts and any known history of this so the dots can be connected.
Attached Thumbnails
Is API = Melcor-_57-6-.jpg   Is API = Melcor-_57-2-.jpg   Is API = Melcor-_57-3-.jpg  
Old 30th November 2014
Lives for gear

I believe that Melcor evolved into API or at least the Melcor designs formed the basis for the API product line and many of the same people were involved. Most of the the Melcor branded op amps are essentially identical to many of the API branded ones. I am sure there are some people here who could give you a more detailed explanation.
Old 30th November 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks, Jmi...
Found a couple of links that definitely put light on this... However, unsure as to how that transition happened and how it translated to the products. Perhaps some of the initial API products had Melcor pieces or the last of the Melcors had API in them?
New vs Vintage Preamps - MusicTech | MusicTech
API History
Old 30th November 2014
Lives for gear

Ha... Here is something very cool, a fun discussion and possibly facts...
2520 opamps. Who knows the story?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search