The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Martech MSS-10 for bass? vs Fearn Vt1?
Old 29th November 2014
Martech MSS-10 for bass? vs Fearn Vt1?

Hi guys,
I'm near to buy a Martech MSS-10 for vocal, but hesitate with Fearn vt1.
The reason is that I know the fearn is really good for bass recording with a good DI, But I have no infos about recording an electric bass with a jdi or fearn pdb di before the Martech MSS-10.

If I could do modern vocal and that some experienced users confirm that I can get "rotund" bass with the Martech MSS-10 on par with what i would get from the fearn, i would be sold.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences on this mic pre!
Old 30th November 2014
Simply put, Martec or fearn for electric bass?
Old 30th November 2014
Lives for gear

Why not reddi into martech? That couldn't be bad!
Old 30th November 2014
Yes I thought about this possibility too!
Would be a cool versatil setup!

Maybe someone tried this combo?

I can't try a reddi unfortunaly; but tomorrow i'll compare my jdi vs the fearn passive di of a friend, into my ltd1; I'm curious to see how different they will sound as they use the same jensen transformer....
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Maniac

I'd love to get my hands on a martech
Old 1st December 2014
The Fearn will give you a much deeper bottom end than the Martech
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear
I suggest you research for preamps that go well for bass and other processing in the chain (drive, compressor, etc). It also depends on the playing style (mainly Note length influences your compressor choice).

I love my Fearn and it feels very well with acoustic instruments and drums.. I have another chain for bass. The Fearn is open sounding, but I think for bass there can be other preamps, without tubes. Just my feeling..
Old 1st December 2014
I already have LTD-1 and TG2 preamps with Distressors and a Slate Dragon comp (this one is for sale to get money for the new preamp btw).

So, for bass the ltd-1 with the jdi is already good sounding if that was the kind of chain you were refering to.
But I would like to add the choice of an open and clear mic preamp to my setup.

After reading many threads here and there, this question if bass with martech is really good in a clear/big way is the only thing left before I buy it;
As I used a Fearn before (and really liked it on bass) I felt it was a good comparison point for me in this kind of sound.
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDBILL View Post
Why not reddi into martech? That couldn't be bad!
This.

Reddi is excellent...

Actually IMHO Eclair Engineering Evil is a bit better

YMMV
Old 3rd December 2014
I've bought a used Martech MSS-10!
Will take some time to arrive here in France, can't wait to try it against my other preamps!

Now about the DI, I feel the REDDI will be the best option for me, as it seems be able to bring a bit of tubey hollow fattness which would complete the Martech for that "extended bass feeling".

At the same time the xlr input would allow me to expand the color palet of my preamps for vocals;
For example I wonder how a sm7 into the REDDI then into a TG2 will sound like?

The Eclair Engineering Evil doesn't have this XLR input possibility right?
And isn't it a bit more coloured than the REDDI?
Unfortunatly I can't try them side by side here, have to rely on gearslutz again on this one.

BTW, can I plug my P67 into the REDDI too? Or is the REDDI just useable with dynamic mics?

I hope those two new pieces of gear will get a fresh vibe to my studio.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingtheSound View Post
Simply put, Martec or fearn for electric bass?
neither.
Eclair Engineering's Evil Twin DI.

instrument input with line level output and a quarter inch loop.
eliminates the need for a mic pre
all tube and transformers
frequency response is 4Hz-250kHz

Basically unbeatable far all things DI.
Old 4th December 2014
Ok, so finally I took a totally different road than the REDDI: I'm on the list for the second run of a Dizengoff Audio D47!

This solve my problem of finding thick tube DI for Bass and at the same time a vintage colored mic preamp to complet my setup, and that for the cost of a REDDI!
Couldn't be happier!
Can wait to put my hand on this D47!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search