The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tracked on Neve, Mixed on API (or vice-versa) Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 29th November 2014
Gear Guru

Tracked on Neve, Mixed on API (or vice-versa)

At some point, I got the impression that there have been a number of classic albums that were made this way. i.e. tracked at Sound City, but mixed elsewhere. But at this point, I'm having a hard time remembering which ones they were.

Is anyone aware of albums that were made this way? I love both the Neve and API sounds, and am often looking for something that's either in between, or a mix of the two.
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
At some point, I got the impression that there have been a number of classic albums that were made this way. i.e. tracked at Sound City, but mixed elsewhere. But at this point, I'm having a hard time remembering which ones they were.

Is anyone aware of albums that were made this way? I love both the Neve and API sounds, and am often looking for something that's either in between, or a mix of the two.
Cheap Trick's Heaven Tonight is a great example of this combination. Tracked on 80 series, mixed on API, resulting in one of the better sounding rock albums I have heard. Analog at its best....

Classic Tracks: Cheap Trick's "Surrender" | Mixonline

Check it out....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tFlCGZJ6qw
Old 30th November 2014
Lives for gear

The latest Black Sabbath lp was tracked on a vintage API and mixed on a Neve 8068.
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanderwestcoast View Post
Cheap Trick's Heaven Tonight is a great example of this combination. Tracked on 80 series, mixed on API, resulting in one of the better sounding rock albums I have heard. Analog at its best....

That's a really great record.
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanderwestcoast View Post

I've always liked Cheap Trick, but never really listened to them that closely. Awesome sound.
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Maniac

Man that album changed my life. You could throw up a Hi-C can on Zander and he'd sound amazing....
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear

Lets hear more !!
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bink View Post
Man that album changed my life. You could throw up a Hi-C can on Zander and he'd sound amazing....
He's the best rock singer alive.
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear

Pink Floyd Animals was Quantum + Neve
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
Pink Floyd Animals was Quantegy + Neve
1) It was still Ampex tape when Animals was made
2)What does tape brand have to do with this thread?
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear

I don't have any real comment on what was tracked and mixed on what console, however, I'd just like to state, that sometimes analog gear makes it feel like I'm cheating. Good analog just sounds right. ( I just finished a vocal session, SM7 into API 212l, going into a Neve 5043.)

I don't think if it was tracked on a Neve and mixed on API or vice versa would make much of a difference if you switch the two. Both are well made, great sounding pieces of kit.
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
1) It was still Ampex tape when Animals was made
2)What does tape brand have to do with this thread?
oops, it was a quantum mixer like this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Tracked on Neve, Mixed on API (or vice-versa)-quantummixer.jpg  
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
oops, it was a quantum mixer like this one:
Aaaahhhh, that make more sense.
Old 1st December 2014
the more common thing was tracked on neve, mixed on SSL.

Last edited by Musiclab; 1st December 2014 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: wrong about which console Pink Floyd used
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post

This!

Most all of the records in the 80's and 90's were done this way. Everybody wanted a consistent sound from coast to coast. I myself always hated that the character had gone away in pursuit of perfection... art is not perfect!

I always used tube equipment when SS became the norm and used vintage equipment (consoles, mic's outboard gear) when modern sound and gear was all the rage, why? I like things to have character. Also, to me tube mic pre's capture the sounds the way I hear it in the room, you really can't beat them for drum sounds... the harmonics and overtones are just magical IMHO.
Old 1st December 2014
Nod
Gear Head

Quote:
Pink Floyd Animals was Quantum + Neve
'fraid not, recorded and mixed on MCI:

Britannia Row Studios - A History
Old 2nd December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware. But I'm asking about Neve/API.
Old 2nd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Yes, I'm aware. But I'm asking about Neve/API.
I don't think anyone would have a compelling reason to do that. If it happened it was probably more out of convenience as in where you could find time. Both the 8068 and the API are class a discrete consoles. Both have great sonics. Neither was known for having a great automation system, whereas that has always been a strong point of SSL.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Not API but Morbid Angel's 'Covenant' was recorded on an SSL and mixed on a VR 72. Legendary sound on a classic album.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Something tells me that all the great sounding albums would still sound great regardless of what they were recorded and/or mixed on…it was the people (musicians, engineers and producers) who worked on those records that made them sound great!

I've heard some ****ty sounding stuff that was produced on all the consoles being mentioned here.

And yes, the most common thing was to track on a Neve (for the sound) and mix on an SSL (for the automation and routing).
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Something tells me that all the great sounding albums would still sound great regardless of what they were recorded and/or mixed on…it was the people who worked on those records that made them sound great!

I've heard some ****ty sounding stuff that was produced on all the consoles being mentioned here.
Goes without saying!
Buuuut, character gear and in the right hands?? = beauty
Old 2nd December 2014
Quote:
He's the best rock singer alive.
really? Well of you can check out the Robin Zander Band, my friend Mark Hitt is an great guitarist, he's playing in that band
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Neve / Trident combination was another.
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
really? Well of you can check out the Robin Zander Band, my friend Mark Hitt is an great guitarist, he's playing in that band
I'm totally serious. I've seen Robin Zander with Cheap Trick a number of times and he is always ON! I'll have to check out the solo band.

I hate using "best" but I am a big fan of that band.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Goes without saying!
I thought it needed to be pointed out to counter the feeling of mythology that was creeping into the discussion.

Quote:
Buuuut, character gear and in the right hands?? = beauty
"Character gear" is so vague and meaningless…change the word "character" to 'good sounding' or 'properly designed and constructed' and I'll agree with you. The point is that these recordings would sound good if they were produced with any combination of good sounding consoles, or on any single console.

The people who did so, usually mixed on a different console for reasons of convenience…many engineers didn't think that SSL consoles were all that 'great' sounding at the time.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought it needed to be pointed out to counter the feeling of mythology that was creeping into the discussion.

"Character gear" is so vague and meaningless…change the word "character" to 'good sounding' or 'properly designed and constructed' and I'll agree with you. The point is that these recordings would sound good if they were produced with any combination of good sounding consoles, or on any single console.

The people who did so, usually mixed on a different console for reasons of convenience…many engineers didn't think that SSL consoles were all that 'great' sounding at the time.

In fact "character gear" is the only way to describe it. I think saying "good sounding" or "properly designed" are misnomers. Historically a lot of that now coveted gear wasn't build with great specs. You even said it yourself! Depending on the intended goal, whether linearity was desired or the least footprint, then we can't simply say it was gear that was properly built nor can we throw around such subjective terms such as good sounding. The only thing we can establish objectively is that they certainly are gear with character; color; non-linearity. These are not debatable but whether one thinks that those characteristics are what entail "properly built" or sounding good, is debatable.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Character gear is a vague, meaningless term which does not have a definite meaning, everybody knows what "good sounding" is.

But okay, you win we don't need to debate this you're free to your opinion.
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:
I'm totally serious. I've seen Robin Zander with Cheap Trick a number of times and he is always ON! I'll have to check out the solo band.

I hate using "best" but I am a big fan of that band.
Best is a little strong for Robin Zander, he is very good.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Character gear is a vague, meaningless term which does not have a definite meaning, everybody knows what "good sounding" is.

But okay, you win we don't need to debate this you're free to your opinion.
Character gear is not vague at all. It is indicative of non-linear processing, such as dynamic harmonic distortion as an example. "Good sounding" could mean anything, depending on context, perception, genre, etc. That's not my opinion, just logic. "Character," as a relative deviation or departure from the source can be measured, perceived, and quantified. What sounds good is a perceptive validation. I don't know who this proverbial 'everybody' is, but a blanket statement like "everybody knows what good sounding is" is utterly NOT representative of the world, let alone the musical world.
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Best is a little strong for Robin Zander, he is very good.
I can't think of any better, and only a few in his league.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search