The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End Monitor Controller
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear

High End Monitor Controller

Who is using the following:
1. Grace Designs M905
2. Cranesong Avocet
3. Shadow Hills Oculus

Any other??

Would love to hear from users or fans. Looking to take this route.

Thanks
Old 29th November 2014
Gear Addict

Avocet II owner!!! Can not say enough good things about this controller. An absolute home run of a design. Dave Hill is a genius!
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear

Coleman audio

Burl Audio

Cheers
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perelandra05 View Post
Avocet II owner!!! Can not say enough good things about this controller. An absolute home run of a design. Dave Hill is a genius!
Hi
Did you get a chance to AB anything else with Avocet ?
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Coleman audio

Burl Audio

Cheers
Hi
Which of the Coleman compares with say M905?
Which Burl do you recommend?
Old 29th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Hi
Did you get a chance to AB anything else with Avocet ?
I had been using my Apogee Symphony converters as a DA for monitoring but the Avocet functionality and quality sold me on the unit. It has such great tactile control and features for quick switching and comparisons between monitors. I love it! It's a fantastic unit.
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone know how the analog circuitry sounds like between the Grace and Avocet? Are they practically the same? Curious to know as I hear that the DA signal coming out of both are slightly different....
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear

A close friend of mine has the Grace. I'm very impressed by the unit. The remote is really great, as it has a headphone output, with separate volume, and a small footprint. It also gives you a lot of feedback. Everything I've ever used by Grace has been very well-built and has sounded stellar.
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
A close friend of mine has the Grace. I'm very impressed by the unit. The remote is really great, as it has a headphone output, with separate volume, and a small footprint. It also gives you a lot of feedback. Everything I've ever used by Grace has been very well-built and has sounded stellar.
Thanks so much! Appreciate the feedback.
Are there any advantages in having the DA version or do you think the current release of strictly analog is sufficient for most studios? Reason I am curious to know is I know I could use the DA, but I have access to Schiit Audio DAC which are great so unsure how much I would use these.
Finally, does the grace have a separate subwoofer output?
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear

Hi: I don't know about which version is better. Grace D/A's are about as good as anything else. And yes, it has a separate sub output. I think there's a Grace 905 in the classifieds. Along with the sound, the build quality and functionality really impressed me.
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear

Antelope Satori.

Cheers
Old 30th November 2014
Lives for gear

Grace, avocet, dangerous... All fantastic units. If their features work for you and you like their D/A then I'd say you can't go wrong with either.

If you need something more custom - more inputs, digital, your own selection D/A, more speakers and so on, the only choice I'm aware of is the Crookwood which I have recently purchased and have to say is phenomenal.
Old 30th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Grace, avocet, dangerous... All fantastic units. If their features work for you and you like their D/A then I'd say you can't go wrong with either.

If you need something more custom - more inputs, digital, your own selection D/A, more speakers and so on, the only choice I'm aware of is the Crookwood which I have recently purchased and have to say is phenomenal.
Thanks. Will check out the Crookwoood for sure!
Any thoughts on the new Antelope mentioned above? seems great. The software somewhat makes it 'remote' if that makes sense. I am curious to know about the analog paths.
I tried the cheaper Dangerous (Source) and did not like what it did to my RCA console's sound. However, I am curious to know which Dangerous you are referring to?
Old 30th November 2014
Lives for gear

Any other Grace M905 users out there? Avocet?
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Guru

I have an Avocet and love it.
if I were looking for a new controller,hands down it'd be the Shadow Hills w/ the wireless remote.
I've played with it.aside from the feel,look,build quality and with wireless capability,it sounds amazing too.
Old 30th November 2014
without question, look at the Dangerous Monitor ST.
Old 30th November 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks. Re Oculus, is the analog circuitry super transparent?
Curious to know..with the Antelope's new unit, isn't having software control almost the same as having a remote, in practical sense?
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Any other Grace M905 users out there? Avocet?
not a 905, but I use the Grace m903 which was an upgrade from my old m902.

As far as I am aware, the 905 is the same quality as the 903 - but it gives you a lot more and is a lot more flexible.

Very happy with my m903.
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Nut
I adore my Burl B26 Orca, haven't heard anything come close to it yet!
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayzed View Post
I adore my Burl B26 Orca, haven't heard anything come close to it yet!
That's great to hear. Is it possible you share which other pieces you have heard and why you like this so much?
Thanks!!
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Guru

I'm sure the orca is great if your running an argosy style desk but if your running a console and it lives in a rack
Where's the remote?
Have to reach over to the rack everytime you want to tweak volume or compare sources?
When doing a recall I might have one hand on the source buttons and the other dialing an eq while a/b'ing.
I love having the remote on the console.
Couldn't do it any other way.
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear

I think I have to agree with you, Roundbadge! my fairly decent sized console has it up the top and I hate to just even get up and turn it up/down so having it in the rack may be a tad annoying.
What are your thoughts on the Antelope's new piece? The fact that it has a software that controls the unit. Do you think that's a great alternative to having a physical hands on controller that takes up a little 'arm rest' space?
Finally, if you had a choice between the 'remote' options, where would you put the money on? If Grace, would you go for the new analog only piece of 905?
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I think I have to agree with you, Roundbadge! my fairly decent sized console has it up the top and I hate to just even get up and turn it up/down so having it in the rack may be a tad annoying.
What are your thoughts on the Antelope's new piece? The fact that it has a software that controls the unit. Do you think that's a great alternative to having a physical hands on controller that takes up a little 'arm rest' space?
Finally, if you had a choice between the 'remote' options, where would you put the money on? If Grace, would you go for the new analog only piece of 905?
I need physical knobs and buttons up on the console.
mixing is a fluid thing.switching between a couple pairs of monitors and a ghetto blaster,reference mixes,previous mixes for recall or beating.
the more stuff you touch in front in the sweet spot,the less reaching around and fiddling,the better ime.
software?
how do you control it?
on a computer screen or an ipad.?..an ipad app might work ok.
otherwise a computer screen interface with a mouse wouldn't work for my mix workflow
..at all.
already using that for slow tools.
I'm sure the Grace w/ hardwired remote sounds great but I'd get the SH w/ the wireless remote unit.
just checked-its currently on sale.same price as the others?
trust me recently I've been tempted to dump the Avocet.
its nice to flip sources/monitors from another spot in the room or down the hall,another room but that's just me.
yes it sounds amazing.
FYI Peter was making custom monitor switchers years ago before he made any compressors.
he knows wussup..
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Addict

Oculus

RoundBadge have you spent some good time with the Oculus? Was going to pull the trigger on it. Just played with it at AES. With some research have questions: Can it monitor side signal or mono sum on a single speaker? Adjust input levels from multiple sources, for AB comparisons. Read some info in an article that wasn't to keen. Just wondering if the clean sound and headphones are worth it. Using ST now with m902 for phones. I want to be convinced but functions...........?
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear
I have had the Grace m905 for about 7 months now, absolutely love it. Excellent build quality, the remote is so damn intuitive to use and a real joy to use, and best of all is that sonically it is as good as it gets. The DAC stage is superbly detailed and far superior to anything else I have heard, and to be honest I think it is excellent value too. Well worth your time to audition.

Last edited by geartragic; 8th April 2015 at 02:44 PM..
Old 3rd December 2014
Here for the gear

Burl, good value for money
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks all for your contributions. I just ordered a M905 from Grace Design with the IR option. Looking forward to it and will keep you posted. VKLA rocks!
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks all for your contributions. I just ordered a M905 from Grace Design with the IR option. Looking forward to it and will keep you posted. VKLA rocks!
A great choice, you will love that thing it is brilliant!
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear

Another Avocet user here. I guess it depends on the features you need. The Avocet has a few options I needed that others didn't, such as AES/EBU I/O and very transparent DA for monitoring the DAW directly, as well as the ability to directly connect an outboard stereo meter such that it monitors the selected input - so damn handy! Aside from that, the headphone pre-amp is great, the remote control is ergonomic and easy to commit to memory (as well as retro sci-fi cool) and the main level knob is "just right" in terms of tactile feedback/resistance and number of steps. I can't compare against the others though, but I don't feel the urge to now.

Edit: enjoy the Grace! At this level it's all just down to features, I think.

Last edited by zigziglar; 9th December 2014 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: A few mins too late!
Old 4th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
So tell us, how is your experience with the M905? I am looking to replace my current MC with either the M905 or Avocet this year.

Features on both devices are OK for me. The M905 with SPL meter is handy, on the other hand, I might trust the sound quality of the Avocet more. It's the latter which is the most important for me.

Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search