The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High End Monitor Controller
Old 4th February 2016
gwm
Gear Head

Crane Song Avocet

Using V1 here. Rock solid reliability, glitch free switching, excellent D/A.
Old 6th February 2016
Gear Nut

Someone can confirm me that the M905 has no relays ? (Noise when changing the Volume) ?
Old 7th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod View Post
Someone can confirm me that the M905 has no relays ? (Noise when changing the Volume) ?
There is no noise when changing the volume. There is a "click" in the main unit when switching speakers.
Old 9th February 2016
Gear Nut

Ok thanks !
I still didn't choice between M905 and Avocet, help me ! :D
Old 9th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
The Avocet 2A just started shipping, so we should start to see some feedback on the new Quantum DAC,

The Avocet 1 has an amazing DAC already. The upgrades done over the years obviously kept improving its sound.

Quantum Leap
Dave Hill.

I have an Avocet 1 and he's improved the sound in the Avocet 2. Was that possible!

Kinda sounds like saying Michelangelo went back and touched up a few bits he wasn't happy with.

The Avocet 2A must sound truly fantastic!
Old 9th February 2016
Gear Nut

It is possible to listen an analog source and a digital source at the same time with the M905, the Avocet IIA or both ?
Old 9th February 2016
Gear Head

I would say Grace 905
I do have Avocet v1 and like it sooooo much
But Grace has one feature that Avocet missing
AES thru
Let's say you like your mix coming from speakers and want to print it to external device . That's where AES thru shines
Old 9th February 2016
Lives for gear

As far as the relays clicking on the Monitor ST, I put mine in the machine room and run an external microphone to our rehearsal PA from it using the slate output.
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Nut

I've finally chosen the M905 ! Waiting for the delivery !
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

I know it is not its first use, but has anyone tried the Grace M905 as USB interface?
How is it for that?
Thanks,
Old 14th April 2016
Check out the new Eldred Audio Grendel
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by funka View Post
I know it is not its first use, but has anyone tried the Grace M905 as USB interface?
How is it for that?
Thanks,
I used mine via USB from the moment I got it and it was fantastic, however when Apple released El Capitan and destroyed the core audio USB interface on every Mac it was installed on, major problems. With the last update from Apple however, this has now been fixed. Only took them about 5 months to correct!

Anyway, the USB interface sounds great AND it can play DSD files natively through the USB port.
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod View Post
I've finally chosen the M905 ! Waiting for the delivery !
You will be one very happy camper, it is a fabulous product.
Old 15th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used mine via USB from the moment I got it and it was fantastic, however when Apple released El Capitan and destroyed the core audio USB interface on every Mac it was installed on, major problems. With the last update from Apple however, this has now been fixed. Only took them about 5 months to correct!

Anyway, the USB interface sounds great AND it can play DSD files natively through the USB port.
Ok, thanks. And for recording, did you already use m905 USB as audio interface?
Old 15th April 2016
Lives for gear
Playback only sorry...
Old 15th April 2016
Lives for gear

Ok. Anyone has used the m905 to record?
Old 15th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Hi.
I red this post yesterday and kinda dismissed it. Why does one need to spend another $3-5k on yet another D/A converter, and have a few buttons? Why not take a feed from your existing converters, to your patch-bay, and from there straight in to your monitors, and use the GUY of your digital system to attenuate, mix-mono, flip phase, etc... But I actually thought about the post on and off for a whyle. I hear RoundBadge and his dis-like of the GUI interface of his system, and prefers the tactile-ness of switches, pots, etc... I get that. I hear a few other cats saying X sounds way better, and Y gives me more blah/blah. To me it raises (arguably the root of the original posters question) ........ Does one NEED to monitor straight off the converters to the monitors, and by-pass your console? All these years, you never really did that. You sent the tape back through the console, on a minimalist path in some cases, to the monitors to hear a final mix-down (or one of the final's). So here I am designing my last analogue console, building away, and this post (a sarcastic Thank You VERY MUCH) tells me that I need to explore monitoring right off my converters, and by-passing my console. Am I correct in my thoughts???

Sorry to hijack the post a smidge, but I feel it is relevant, and directly in-context to your quest of which digital monitoring device to procure.
Old 15th April 2016
Lives for gear

I hear the differences and personally think it is VERY important... I want the truth and be able to make decisions for tracking/mixing/mastering without more stuff in the way. The room and the monitors are already difficult enough to get under control I want to eliminate any other signal chain issues before they get amplified in the room.

I am looking to upgrade and am leaning towards the new Avocet Quantum DAC or a custom JCF.
Old 15th April 2016
Gear Nut

Love my grace m905. Have quickly tried recording through it, ran into a bit of latency, never tried again. Good to know the option is there though in case my primary interface breaks down. As far as the latency, i really didnt spend any time twiddling with it, i feel like i could have solved the issue if i tried but i was just testing it to make sure that it could pass audio and then went right back to using my avid interface. It was probably just some setting i had set wrong or something, im sure if this affected all units we would have heard about it by mow.

But since avid's core audio is completely useless on my computer the grace is a lifesaver when i use other daw's besides pro tools. Before i would have to use reason or maschine as an instrument in pro tools in order to route it to my speakers, now i just send it directly to the grace via usb. No latency going out, it seems, only coming in.

Great monitor controller though, and beautiful to look at. Im happy. Solid unit.
Old 15th April 2016
Lives for gear

Thank you for your contribution.
If one owner has time to do so, I'd like to know what latency we can expect to have, depending on buffer size.
Old 22nd May 2016
Here for the gear

im in the same boat avocet iia or the m905! haha
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Nut

Have owned the Grace m905 for a year now. It's awesome. Upgraded from an SPL 2Control. Sound and design is top notch. Beautifully designed. Love the SPL meter feature. Highly recommended.
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Owned one for over a year. Works flawlessly. I got the remove option too but never needed it. So think twice before remote option based on needs and size of room.
Great product!
Old 8th July 2016
Here for the gear

Hi,

I am looking for a new monitor controller, and kind of surprised that m905 can't switch between mid/side.
Actually seems like none of those controllers mentioned, and some others I am looking at like the Satori, can't do it.

I had the impression that since those are mastering grade controllers, mastering engineers are highly interested having that functionality.
Isn't that the case?
Are they using other equipment to switch between mid/side?

Thanks,
Kind Regards,
Bill.
Old 8th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod7 View Post
Hi,

I am looking for a new monitor controller, and kind of surprised that m905 can't switch between mid/side.
It can.
Old 8th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod7 View Post
I had the impression that since those are mastering grade controllers, mastering engineers are highly interested having that functionality.
Isn't that the case?
Mastering engineers usually have m/s matrix in their processing chain (router.) What's the use if the m/s is on the output where they can't effect the result. In a digital chain, there are tons of plugins that can do the m/s matrix. In the analogue world there are mastering desks/routers that do it.

The Avocet and Grace m905 can both do mono and L-R checks. On the Avocet it's the phase button on the Grace it's the mono/L-R button.

Mastering grade for controllers refers to repeatability, tracking between speakers (level matching), gain/trim control accuracy, very little modification to the signal (transparency) and very low harmonic distortion. Lesser controllers won't (can't) guarantee these concepts. On those, when the volume goes up and down, the L and R channels can vary changing the stereo image, there aren't relays used so the same position of the knob isn't repeatable, exact trimming the outputs and inputs for level matching isn't near as accurate, and the list goes on and on..

Last edited by pentagon; 9th July 2016 at 03:57 PM..
Old 9th July 2016
Lives for gear

I use the EMM Labs Switchman II. Probably the most transparent analog monitor controller. It has 4 surround inputs but of course you can use thes also as a two channel monitor controller
Old 9th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adebar View Post
I use the EMM Labs Switchman II. Probably the most transparent analog monitor controller. It has 4 surround inputs but of course you can use thes also as a two channel monitor controller
At the time, the Switchman II was fantastic (and even today, there are few controllers with that many surround inputs) but today, the Grace and the Avocet have better systems (crosstalk, THD, etc. -- literally orders of magnitude in some of these cases) and can level match and track the same or better.

I'm guessing that's part of the reason it was discontinued; EMM Labs needed to make a better/newer unit (Switchman III?) or exit out of the market on this.

Update: there was a Switchman III. Also discontinued.

Last edited by pentagon; 9th July 2016 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: new info
Old 9th July 2016
Lives for gear

Went with the Grace m905 Digital (black). Hands down for me, with the Monitor ST a runner up. The m905 has all the features I require and the implementation is wonderful, especially the remote. Although, a 2nd set of analog inputs would be ideal. Really looking forward to getting it up and running in my new studio setup/build. Thanks for everyone's input in this thread. And, thanks to Grace for focusing on creating such a well-designed, high-end monitor controller.

I'll follow up here down the road after more direct usage.

Old 9th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
At the time, the Switchman II was fantastic (and even today, there are few controllers with that many surround inputs) but today, the Grace and the Avocet have better systems (crosstalk, THD, etc. -- literally orders of magnitude in some of these cases) and can level match and track the same or better.
All that counts is hearing and here the old Switchmann II is still on top I think (Ed Meitner comes from the analog side of High end). The reason it was discontinued is just a low demand for surround controllers on the market.

The Switchman III was the same as the Switchmann II just made for the audiophile market
EMM Labs - Switchman 3 - 6 Channel Preamplifier

But since this Switchman II is no longer available this all is a bit useless. It can be calibrated on every of the 24 input channels individially but yes, other controllers offer more features and often more outputs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search