The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High End Monitor Controller
Old 24th November 2015
Lives for gear

can we match setup reference master tracks and compare them On the Santori as well as we can do on the Avocet ?

Last edited by sergioelectro; 5th December 2015 at 01:39 PM..
Old 28th November 2015
Lives for gear

Grace m905 owners question:
Do you have more than one pair of monitors and also a sub connected all out of the unit?
If so, do you notice that the monitors tend to lose bottom end with the sub muted?
Are my ears tripping or is there a setting for this?
Thx
Old 28th November 2015
Lives for gear

Ok I wanna chime in here… What is with all these high end monitors only have 2 analog inputs? (besides the Dangerous ST) I really would love to try an Avocett or Grace, but only 2 analog inputs? really???
I bought my lynx hilo specifically for its DA conversion, and find it stilly to use the grace or avocet DA. What about a REAL working studio setup, where you have 5,6,7 externals you want to monitor? for example..

Desk/summing mixer out
DAW DA out
Client Ipod/line/demoplayback input
Computer DA or Digital out for system audio
TV/AV out (gotta watch the game!)

What I would love is an grace or avocet level kinda box, that has AT LEAST 4 stereo ANALOG inputs. 3 Stereo speakers, some kinda cue/talkback setup. Ability to "sum" 2 inputs would be even better.
I currently use the studiocomm System 50/51 and I'm spoiled with 8 stereo pair inputs, routable to 3 different output matrix. Bummer is its only A/B monitors no 3rd pair. I wish I could "sum" too.

The satori sounds like it has software issues, and honestly it was the DUMBEST idea ever to make the remote ONLY work when you plug it into a computer and run the software in the background. Why couldn't they just make the conifig through software and then let the remote be stand alone?!

I'm stickin' with my studiocomm for now. Its served me right for the past 5 years.
Old 28th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeq View Post
The satori sounds like it has software issues, and honestly it was the DUMBEST idea ever to make the remote ONLY work when you plug it into a computer and run the software in the background. Why couldn't they just make the conifig through software and then let the remote be stand alone?! .
plus one !
Old 29th November 2015
Gear Maniac

I returned the Satori and now purchased the Dangerous Monitor ST. The extra money is worth it. The Satori does not function as advertised and from my interactions with tech support they don't seem to want to do anything to fix the issues. The Dangerous actually sounds so much better. The Satori sounds good but compared to the output of my Symphony I/O and the Monitor ST it is missing a lot of the low end and is crunchy on the top end in my opinion. The Satori also has a much lower SPL output than the Monitor ST.
Old 4th December 2015
I'm actually in the market for a monitor controller right now, but I blew most of my budget on my new monitors themselves. Currently have a Lynx Aurora for my AD/DA, but would get a Burl B2 down the road if i got a controller without a DAC. Has anyone had much experience with the coleman units and how they compare sonically to the dangerous or grace analog gear? It's been kinda hard to find much info on their sonic performance. I want to get something decent but I'm afraid the price of the 905 is more than I can afford now.
Old 4th December 2015
Lives for gear

well looks like I'm gonna be using the Neve Centerpiece 5060 for my monitor controller for a while now ;-)
Old 4th December 2015
Gear Nut

Looking too for a MC between my Barefoot MM27 and my AD/DA Prismsound ADA8-XR. I will use the Analog out of the ADA8-XR to the MC.
So maybe I can buy a Grace 905 only Analog ? Or ST Dangerous or Occulus ?
I need a remote control. Also two headphone out could be great.

Many thanks for your help
Old 5th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod View Post
Looking too for a MC between my Barefoot MM27 and my AD/DA Prismsound ADA8-XR. I will use the Analog out of the ADA8-XR to the MC.
So maybe I can buy a Grace 905 only Analog ? Or ST Dangerous or Occulus ?
I need a remote control. Also two headphone out could be great.

Many thanks for your help
The Grace 905 Analog could work for you. It has the remote. There are two headphones out... one on the base unit and one on the remote. To access the one on the remote you need to buy a different cable that goes between the base unit and remote to enable it. My understanding is the two headphone outs share the same mix.
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
AT LEAST 4 stereo ANALOG inputs. 3 Stereo speakers, some kinda cue/talkback setup. Ability to "sum" 2 inputs would be even better.
Martinsound MultiMax is what you're looking for.
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

Which of the high end monitor controller can handle 4 speakers output?
Regards
Sergio
Old 6th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Which of the high end monitor controller can handle 4 speakers output?
Regards
Sergio
Just add a switcher.
Attached Thumbnails
High End Monitor Controller-ms6rlarge.jpg  
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
Just add a switcher.
Thanks, any model reference?
What's the price ?
Thanks a lot
Regards
Sergio
Old 6th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Design View Post
Hi Chris,

The m905 will route the USB input to the digital out as long as it is the last digital input selected and loop out setting is set for follow DAC input. You can switch to analog inputs and the USB should still feed the digital out. Have you had any luck in getting this to work?
-Alex
Hi there, Alex,

Thanks for getting in touch. This is getting a bit tricky for me to explain but I'll try to be as clear as I can be.

The Grace m905 has a digital loop through feature. This digital loop through can be programed to either receive its signal always from the same source (E.g. aes1, aes2, s/pdif, etc.) or it can be programed to "follow" the digital input being sent to the speaker outputs.

Additionally, if the m905 is set to receive an analog input, the the digital loop through feature remains active. Either from the programed digital source, or the most recently selected digital source if "follow DAC input" is selected in the setup menu.

After crawling around re-patching for awhile and running some tests, I've concluded my m905's loop through feature just doesn't recognize the USB input. I tried monitoring off the USB input and using "aes1" as the loop through, and it worked fine.

Does the digital loop through feature just not recognize the USB input or is there perhaps a firmware update that I never took the time to install?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 7th December 2015
Gear Maniac

The coleman stuff is the best i know of.
A bit expensive here in europe, so i would order it from vintage king.

Welcome to colemanaudio.com

Coleman Audio MS6R Alternate Speaker Switcher - Vintage King Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Thanks, any model reference?
What's the price ?
Thanks a lot
Regards
Sergio
Old 7th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ok I wanna chime in here… What is with all these high end monitors only have 2 analog inputs? (besides the Dangerous ST) I really would love to try an Avocett or Grace, but only 2 analog inputs? really???
I bought my lynx hilo specifically for its DA conversion, and find it stilly to use the grace or avocet DA. What about a REAL working studio setup, where you have 5,6,7 externals you want to monitor? for example..
Again (input) switcher.
Attached Thumbnails
High End Monitor Controller-ms8amlarge.jpg  
Old 8th January 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecaudio View Post
I decided to go with the Dangerous Monitor ST.
can you please compare Dangerous Source with Monitor ST... and how good is Source compare to other high end controller? i have one pair genelec.
thanks
Old 8th January 2016
Gear Maniac

I like the passive switching and monitoring concept of the SMC-7.
How does it compare to the Coleman m3ph ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGreg View Post
I've had this unit for a couple of years now, and couldn't be happier with the result:
Passive monitor controller, studio monitor switching subwoofer management, stereo fully balanced and passive, control room speakers precision stepped volume control system SMC-7 | QES Labs

It's a truly transparent passive controller, and has the advantage of a proper switch-stepped attenuator,
which guarantees inter-channel accuracy and the ability to set precise and repeatable listening levels.
It features all the facilities needed when monitoring, including Vu meter and phase correlation meter,
it can switch between two speaker pairs, and has sub bass management.

Due to the very nature of passive controllers, it's also best to keep connecting cables as short as possible.

If you're looking for the ultimate transparent tool, I'd keep an eye on this one.
Old 8th January 2016
Just ordered a avocet IIA to upgrade from my TC Level Pilot (it was a temporary solution coming from my converters while i saved up). I wonder if it will make much difference.... *cough cough*
Old 10th January 2016
Lives for gear

AES LA: Slate Debuts SLATE CONTROL Center Section Monitor Controller

Slate Control, designed by the great Paul Wolff has 7 stereo inputs and a myriad of configurations. I think it reigns supreme.....
Old 13th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by firubbi View Post
can you please compare Dangerous Source with Monitor ST... and how good is Source compare to other high end controller? i have one pair genelec.
thanks
I don't have a Dangerous Source nor have I ever used it. So unfortunately I would not be able to help you with an open. I will say I have been very happy with my purchase of the Dangerous Monitor ST. It has all the features I need with room to expand in the future. All I know about the sources is that it is not expandable and not for everyone. If you don't need talkback, expandability, you don't need more than 2 sets of speakers. The Source may be for you. You do have the built in DAC on the source where you will need to add it to the Monitor ST. Not that it is a bad thing but at first glance it looks like these to products are for two totally different types of buyers.
Old 14th January 2016
Lives for gear

Loving my Avocet.. cant wait to hookup the DA next week when cables arrive.
Old 29th January 2016
Gear Nut

It is possible to adjust and match the level of different different audio sources with the M905 to compare them ? I know that is very simple with the Avocet.

Also please help me to choose between M905 and Avocet IIA. Is the ADA8-XR DA still better than the new Avocet DA ?

For sur I will also use the DA of the MC for a daily listening music (working on excel also haha) from my Macpro without switching on My ADA8-XR and AURORA 16 (thunderbolt), very useful to avoid wasting energy and money.
So if I'm right, I could use the USB (Avocet) or SPDIF (Avocet) to connect the MC to the Macpro's (black tower) MiniJack optical ?

I will be happy if someone could explain me how to compare quickly a song played in Itunes or Quicktime with my Daw, it is possible or do I need to connect an External CD player ? Also because from a minijack iPhone connector, is the the sound of a wav file equal to the sound of a Wav on a Cd player ?
Sorry for that beginner questions

Many thanks,
Old 29th January 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
It is possible to adjust and match the level of different different audio sources with the M905 to compare them ? I know that is very simple with the Avocet.
I own a Grace m905 and can confirm 100% that yes you can match levels between inputs, very easily.

Quote:
Also please help me to choose between M905 and Avocet IIA. Is the ADA8-XR DA still better than the new Avocet DA ?
Even though I own the Grace, I am sure the Avocet is equally as good as the Grace, choose the one that suits your needs the best in terms of inputs and configuration etc.

Quote:
For sur I will also use the DA of the MC for a daily listening music (working on excel also haha) from my Macpro without switching on My ADA8-XR and AURORA 16 (thunderbolt), very useful to avoid wasting energy and money. So if I'm right, I could use the USB (Avocet) or SPDIF (Avocet) to connect the MC to the Macpro's (black tower) MiniJack optical ?
MC?

Quote:
I will be happy if someone could explain me how to compare quickly a song played in Itunes or Quicktime with my Daw, it is possible or do I need to connect an External CD player ? Also because from a minijack iPhone connector, is the the sound of a wav file equal to the sound of a Wav on a Cd player ? Sorry for that beginner questions
If all digital sources are being played through the same DA (i.e.: m905 or Avocet etc) then sound SHOULD be the same. (assuming exact same WAV file)
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Nut

Many thanks for your quick answer !

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartragic View Post
I own a Grace m905 and can confirm 100% that yes you can match levels between inputs, very easily.
GREAT !

MC?
Sorry I've shorten "Monitor Controller"

If all digital sources are being played through the same DA (i.e.: m905 or Avocet etc) then sound SHOULD be the same. (assuming exact same WAV file)
I think i'm lacking knowledge but today I'm using the Prism Ada8-XR Analog out (Rca connector) connected to the XLR analog IN of my Barefoot Gen27.
Because I'm using a lot of analog hardware for the mastering, so I've a DA/AD path. I'm using the Lynx Aurora converter and prism, with the Aurora selected as audio source on my Mac Pro. So If i follow you, I will be impossible to switch from Daw to Itunes between two buttons on the Monitor Controller because it will be used only in Analog mode. Tell me if I'm wrong of you have other ideas of way to work fine to compare audio source during mastering. What could be the other possibilities ? Today I'm switching between DAW and a Quicktime file, changing "play" from one to an other using my Apple Mouse.

I will use the converter of the monitor controller in all case to my daily listening when I'm not "producing" music so even if the new Avocet has a best DAC than the Grace, I think I need more to choose on other criteria maybe the remote ? Also one has "relays" (noise when you turn the volume) so it is a good think or it is better to have no noise as the Grace design ?

Manu thanks for all you feedback!
Old 31st January 2016
Old 1st February 2016
Gear Nut

Thanks for the products from New Old sound, Seems to be nice !

Also how do you think the Avocet Quantum DAC is better than Prism Ada8-XR, huge difference ?
Old 1st February 2016
Quote:

Also how do you think the Avocet Quantum DAC is better than Prism Ada8-XR, huge difference ?
The Avocet 2A just started shipping, so we should start to see some feedback on the new Quantum DAC,

The Avocet 1 has an amazing DAC already. The upgrades done over the years obviously kept improving its sound.

Quantum Leap
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear
So I'm getting a pair of Focal Twin6 and was wondering if my Dangerous Source would cut it. I have a Teradak 12V13A linear power supply and it really takes the sound to another class. Still I wonder how it compares with stuff like Dangerous ST, Avocet, and M905.

Also, I have an Emotiva Stealh DC-1 for my home theatre setup. Anyone want to comment on the design of it and whether it holds up? https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/el...s/stealth-dc-1
Old 4th February 2016
Gear Nut

Do you think it's possible to connect digitaly the Avocet to my Mac Pro late 2013 into the - Combined optical digital audio output/analog - without using an adapter ?
If not here an adapter : SPDIF and TOS to AES3 converter

I need to choose between Grace Design M905 and new Avocet. I will use the DAC only for my "daily listening" because I've already have ADA8-XR and Aurora with Thunderbolt in my setup which not allow me to add The Avocet's DAC to my existing setup. Nevertheless, I will choose Thunderbolt ADA8/Aurora in my Daw and I will use the DAC of the Monitor controller for the sound coming from the OS X system. So I will be able to match commercial sound from Itunes to the sound coming from the Daw. What do you think about the idea.?

Many thanks,
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search