The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High End Monitor Controller
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundReplay View Post
So tell us, how is your experience with the M905? I am looking to replace my current MC with either the M905 or Avocet this year.

Features on both devices are OK for me. The M905 with SPL meter is handy, on the other hand, I might trust the sound quality of the Avocet more. It's the latter which is the most important for me.

Thanks!
The sound quality of the m905 is superb, I can not imagine anyone being disappointed with it's sonics or it's features to be honest. To me it is a perfectly executed product.
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
Yes functionally it's been great. Its very practical with the whole screen aspects. Buttons are awesome. I have not used the Avocet for sound, so I cannot comment. Im sure it's awesome too. But GD is great. I still need to dig deep on the balances more especially because I have a sub and to my ears when I have everything connected and mute the sub, the whole 'sub frequency thing below 80' seems cut off, which is good but then when I prefer not to use a sub during composing, i have to really think how i could do that as opposed to turning sub down and saving it.
Any specific questions, please ask. It does look great IMO a lot better than Avocet. It's a sleek design.
Old 5th April 2015
Gear Maniac
I wish the burl would have a proper controller the rack makes it unusable for me.
Anybody know if they are planing a desktop solution?
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I wish the burl would have a proper controller the rack makes it unusable for me.
Anybody know if they are planing a desktop solution?
even if they do, that crazy green color sitting on my work station every day could just be enough for me....
in seriousness, Burl make awesome stuff so hope they bring something into the table to keep the competition up. Consumers win.
Old 5th April 2015
Gear Nut

I have the m905 and it is an amazing piece of gear. I thought it might end up being too much for our studio, but I love the sound of it and have used just about every feature it has (except subwoofer support). I even spent extra money on my converter upgrade to make sure I had AES out to power the m905 DAC. I did an A/B with the Grace DAC and the Rednet 1 and the Grace was better by far.
Old 5th April 2015
Gear Addict

The Avocet is a great piece. At that price point it's a no brainer. I have tried many ways from Sunday to support SHadow Hills. Aesthetically, the gear is nuclear eye candy extraordinaire. I have had some issues with pre's not sounding even remotely the same with sequential serials.

I'm hesitant and I confess to have little or no experience with the Oculus.

I have one Shadow Hills unit on my rack and that a 500 series pre. I'm still hunting for one that will one day sound similar. Were not there yet....

I really want to support them, thus far I've had some challenges.

Crane Song, that thing rocks.
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

Anteope Eclipse or antelope Satori. Honestly... I trust Antelope most...
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

I don't want to start a war, but I wouldn't put the Satori on the same shelf with the Avocet or m905. Not because it isn't good - that I couldn't tell you from personal experience - but more because the Satori is a newcomer and the former two devices are classics that have stood up against the test of time. Also, since working with the Avocet remote I don't think I could go back to a panel based controller.
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigziglar View Post
I don't want to start a war, but I wouldn't put the Satori on the same shelf with the Avocet or m905. Not because it isn't good - that I couldn't tell you from personal experience - but more because the Satori is a newcomer and the former two devices are classics that have stood up against the test of time. Also, since working with the Avocet remote I don't think I could go back to a panel based controller.
Satori have the same Monitor controller as Antelope Eclipse.
Satori is Eclipse with only the monitor controller section, which could be more cost effective then buying the Eclipse. For me personally I have very high doubts I find anything better in the studio world that sound better then my Eclipse, and I don't even use the 10m clock.. I am quite satisfied with trinity level clocking.

I have not tried the Satori but it should have the same sonic quality as Eclipse.
The only difference I have heard the Relays are not as loud as on the Eclipse.

When it comes to DAC design igor and antelope is the one to trust, and Igors fanatic obsession with audio perfection.
Old 7th April 2015
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigziglar View Post
Fair enough angle not to try something, but I will say in all reality the sonics and detail of the Satori tested out as cleanly as anything we've tried so it does hang with uber expensive stuff. Workflow preferences notwithstanding...Satori is an excellent choice.

War
Old 8th April 2015
Gear Guru
Sanity Klaus

A dose of horse sense in a very strange little niche market IMO. Note it can handle 26.5dBu inputs before clipping.
Sound Skulptor - MC624 : DIY Monitor Controller, DIY Microphone Preamplifier, Class A Mic Pre, Vintage Transformer Preamp, Professional Audio Kits
DD
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Fair enough angle not to try something, but I will say in all reality the sonics and detail of the Satori tested out as cleanly as anything we've tried so it does hang with uber expensive stuff. Workflow preferences notwithstanding...Satori is an excellent choice.

War
good to hear..
Not sure why Antelope is more popular, but the lack of reviews and big number of users is a reason. not many owners of Eclipse so hard to find a lot of reviews and feedback. Orion is their most popular product...

Do you still stand by your statement that dangerous audio source was as good as any monitor controller out there even the most expensive ?
I find a night and day difference between my Antelope Eclipse and the Source...
very big difference... the source are really good also but they are not a good match for more higher end monitors.. for more standard moniters like genelec it is a good choice
Old 8th April 2015
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
Do you still stand by your statement that dangerous audio source was as good as any monitor controller out there even the most expensive ?
very big difference... the source are really good also but they are not a good match for more higher end monitors.. for more standard moniters like genelec it is a good choice
I think I was mainly speaking to the analog section, which we record the outputs of and analyze here so we can compare new models.

If you're saying you prefer the converter that is another story, and we have not compared no.

War
Old 10th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Any other??

Would love to hear from users or fans. Looking to take this route.

Thanks
I've had this unit for a couple of years now, and couldn't be happier with the result:
Passive monitor controller, studio monitor switching subwoofer management, stereo fully balanced and passive, control room speakers precision stepped volume control system SMC-7 | QES Labs

It's a truly transparent passive controller, and has the advantage of a proper switch-stepped attenuator,
which guarantees inter-channel accuracy and the ability to set precise and repeatable listening levels.
It features all the facilities needed when monitoring, including Vu meter and phase correlation meter,
it can switch between two speaker pairs, and has sub bass management.

Due to the very nature of passive controllers, it's also best to keep connecting cables as short as possible.

If you're looking for the ultimate transparent tool, I'd keep an eye on this one.
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
good to hear..
Not sure why Antelope is more popular, but the lack of reviews and big number of users is a reason. not many owners of Eclipse so hard to find a lot of reviews and feedback. Orion is their most popular product...

The Source is a top notch DAC but you need to add a quality linear power supply and you must use it with another controller monitoring with his direct outputs. When you correct is power supply and bypass his volume control, it's a fantastic DA... maybe to be used with the Satori. I think the Satori has no DA inside?
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGreg View Post
I've had this unit for a couple of years now, and couldn't be happier with the result:
Passive monitor controller, studio monitor switching subwoofer management, stereo fully balanced and passive, control room speakers precision stepped volume control system SMC-7 | QES Labs

It's a truly transparent passive controller, and has the advantage of a proper switch-stepped attenuator,
which guarantees inter-channel accuracy and the ability to set precise and repeatable listening levels.
It features all the facilities needed when monitoring, including Vu meter and phase correlation meter,
it can switch between two speaker pairs, and has sub bass management.

Due to the very nature of passive controllers, it's also best to keep connecting cables as short as possible.

If you're looking for the ultimate transparent tool, I'd keep an eye on this one.
To my experience, passive design can lack of punch. But for mixing or mastering, it may not be a problem.
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by priko View Post
To my experience, passive design can lack of punch. But for mixing or mastering, it may not be a problem.
Passive controllers can be absolutely transparent, at last in theory.
IME in real-world systems, you just have to make sure that your source
is able to drive 600-ohm loads, the cable is short enough(1-1.6ft), of good quality,
and low capacitance (15pF/ft is appropriate),
that you have a fast amplifier with a properly high input impedance (usually 20k in parallel with 100pF).
Taken these precautions, you get a flat frequency response, from DC to well beyond 600kHz with a 2K Z from the passive controller.
So provided the switches and attenuators are of good quality, I find that a passive controller is a better solution for no-color and extreme transparency.
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Maniac

NOS McTwo

I'd warmly recommend anyone looking for an outstanding monitor controller solution to give NOS's McTwo a go. On top of the superb transparent sound and features, it has nice VU meters, which I find very helpful and the headphones amp is one of the best I've ever heard.

NOS McTwo

I believe it's exclusively distributed in the U.S. By Zen Pro Audio (please pardon if I'm wrong)

New Old Sound McTWO | ZenPro Audio
Old 13th April 2015
Gear Nut

emm Labs Switchman MKII

Hey everyone, I've been using an emm Labs (Meitner) Switchman MKII for some years. I love the unit because of its transparency.
Would be interested in listening to the Shadow Hills, do you users find that it colours the sound going through it?

Cheers.
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

Im in the same conundrum right now...

I dont want to monitor directly from my console, but rather from the output of my DA(Burl DA8), but this means I'd have to substitute 2 of my current 24 outputs which I'm a bit loathe to do at this point ( i like round numbers and grew up on a 24 ch Neve), so basically it was get another card and a monitor controller.

My choices were a coleman unit around 720 GBP and then another DA8 card for the mothership +1500 GBP

or.......

Go for a 'Crookwood' monitors controller (CS2). Looks to be the business and I know they have a stellar reputation and I like the fact that it's all housed in a rack 'brain' so the remote which looks super cool btw, and can be laid in the critical listening position.

I think RB (as always!) has a vlaid point about this... as i dont fancy leaning over all dya long to make cuts n vol rides on the monitor pot. Also it's got a VG mastering grade DA

So basically... who has used a Crookwood CS2 as i think it's really what the DR ordered for me.. and is cheaperthan the previous less tactile solution.

Thanks
Wiggy
Old 28th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by priko View Post
The Source is a top notch DAC but you need to add a quality linear power supply and you must use it with another controller monitoring with his direct outputs. When you correct is power supply and bypass his volume control, it's a fantastic DA... maybe to be used with the Satori. I think the Satori has no DA inside?
I have a Source, and I'd like to try a linear power supply. Would you please tell me which linear power supply you're using?
Old 1st September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Anteope Eclipse or antelope Satori. Honestly... I trust Antelope most...
I don't had it for a few days and functionality was was not very good. Sounded great but didn't operate as advertise.
Old 29th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdrew75 View Post
I don't had it for a few days and functionality was was not very good. Sounded great but didn't operate as advertise.
Interesting statement.
Im looking at a Orion 32 and Satori combo now and Im wondering what the problem was?
Old 29th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo81 View Post
Interesting statement.
Im looking at a Orion 32 and Satori combo now and Im wondering what the problem was?
1 a. Meter in software doesn't seem to represent what is actual coming out of protools software and apollo interface. Satori seem to be off by 10db.
b. Also seem to lag the actual audio. Not very responsive.

2. In the Satori manual (Page 11 #17 ) it is stated controllability of headphone 3 and 4 via main volume attenuator knob on hardware. This does not seem possible, at least not in the same way as headphones 1 and 2.

3. Talk back in general seem low even when volume is all the way up. I have tried internal mic and external mic(Sennheiser E822s) from back panel. It just never get loud enough for artist in vocal booth.

4. Mono and M/S bottom seem to work backwards. When you initially press the mono button m/s button is lit, This would lead me to believe that m/s is active. That is not the case, you are in mono mode when both M/S and MONO lights are lit.

5. No hardware control for headphone 3 & 4.

6. Customer support was not professional in my opinion.
Old 29th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdrew75 View Post
1 a. Meter in software doesn't seem to represent what is actual coming out of protools software and apollo interface. Satori seem to be off by 10db.
b. Also seem to lag the actual audio. Not very responsive.

2. In the Satori manual (Page 11 #17 ) it is stated controllability of headphone 3 and 4 via main volume attenuator knob on hardware. This does not seem possible, at least not in the same way as headphones 1 and 2.

3. Talk back in general seem low even when volume is all the way up. I have tried internal mic and external mic(Sennheiser E822s) from back panel. It just never get loud enough for artist in vocal booth.

4. Mono and M/S bottom seem to work backwards. When you initially press the mono button m/s button is lit, This would lead me to believe that m/s is active. That is not the case, you are in mono mode when both M/S and MONO lights are lit.

5. No hardware control for headphone 3 & 4.

6. Customer support was not professional in my opinion.
Thanks for the comments.

Just wondering, how can it "lag" the audio? I thought it was all analogue with no dsp/converter stuff...
Old 29th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo81 View Post
Thanks for the comments.

Just wondering, how can it "lag" the audio? I thought it was all analogue with no dsp/converter stuff...
No idea. The meter on the computer didn't respond/pulse at the same rate as my UA-Apollo, Protool10 and previous central station. The sound quality was good though. They nailed that.
Old 7th October 2015
Gear Nut

I was intrigued by this unit, with a claimed headroom of 132dB, but your feedback puts it into another perspective.
Probably the software needs further development.
Old 7th October 2015
Gear Nut

+1 for Dangerous Music
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talljoe View Post
I have the m905 and it is an amazing piece of gear. I thought it might end up being too much for our studio, but I love the sound of it and have used just about every feature it has (except subwoofer support). I even spent extra money on my converter upgrade to make sure I had AES out to power the m905 DAC. I did an A/B with the Grace DAC and the Rednet 1 and the Grace was better by far.
This has been my experience as well. I've been using my M905 for over a year can't imagine working without it. Personally, it's more about workflow and feature set, but I have definitely become acquainted with its DA sound. While I have experienced subtle differences in high-end DA's, the Grace, while having a sound all its own, makes an excellent monitor controller. I am certainly not saying the other top choices aren't as good, but after working with an M905 for a year, it's my current first choice.
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
This has been my experience as well. I've been using my M905 for over a year can't imagine working without it. Personally, it's more about workflow and feature set, but I have definitely become acquainted with its DA sound. While I have experienced subtle differences in high-end DA's, the Grace, while having a sound all its own, makes an excellent monitor controller. I am certainly not saying the other top choices aren't as good, but after working with an M905 for a year, it's my current first choice.
The Grace m903 is also excellent - at a lower cost and in a small simple box.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search