The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Xtramix and 500 series question 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 27th November 2014
Xtramix and 500 series question

I have the balanced version of the Xtramix - the last one, the CXI V5. It has unbalanced insert points though, in its buss feed section.

I already have one API 6B lunchbox that I connect the Xtramix unbalanced inserts to the Moog Ladder, which does fine with unbalanced signals. The output of the lunchbox goes thru API 550a's and back into the Xtramix. All is well.

Now I am putting together a second lunchbox. My plan is to have the insert points connected to 2 API 565 filters --> 2 more API 550a's --> 2 API 525's. I am concerned the Xtramix insert points -10dBv output will not drive the API +4dBu gear with enough signal, as its signal would be too low.

I could just try it and see how it works. I could also buy a Radial JDI duplex, a pair of 512c's and a bigger lunchbox - but that is another $2K or so.

I thought about using the Xtramix buss feed out, which is balanced, to the lunchbox. But I am not sure how I would get the return of the lunchbox back into the mixer and out into my monitors. Maybe into other channel inserts?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 28th November 2014
Gear Maniac

According to the Xtramix manual, in the insert sends are +4dBu unbalanced (with a +20dBu maximum level) so you should have no level problems. But I would call Vince @ Speck who's very helpful and he will help you.
Old 29th November 2014
Thanks for the reply.

Somehow I associated unbalanced with being -10db, I didn't realize these inserts are +4db unbalanced. I should have no problems then using these inserts with balanced gear.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search