The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IGS LA ONE vs Doublewide
Old 25th November 2014
IGS LA ONE vs Doublewide

Hy, guys-

Im trying to sort out which of these to get. Ive seen some posts about each unit individually, but any thoughts on this comparison? Im looking for a very colorful, warm sounding comp. I have plenty of transparent, fast compressors, so I'm looking for something with a little something something, which is why I turned my eye towards tube comps for the 500 series.

i realize one is opto and one is vari mu... which to be honest I've never worked with a vari mu before so I'm not sure what the end result is. All i know is that the compression happens within the tubes in some way.

Id predominately be recording bass, voice and some hand percussion with it. Theres something compelling about the simplistic operation of the LA 2A format, but I'm just wondering if anyone has both of these in their studio and which one are they loving more?
Old 25th November 2014
Lives for gear

If you like something la2aish, you could also ckeck out the crane song falcon, which gives you more options.
Old 25th November 2014
Yeah i looked at the Crane Song. but its just a little pricey and a friend of mine says that if your looking for color, it may be a little too much on the clean/transparent side for you. I mean anything Dave Hill is beyond reproach, but I'm not sure that its the right fit in this particular instance.
Old 26th November 2014
I'd compare apples to apples and explore the IGS Tubecore vs the DW since they are both Mus. The Tubecore is capable of more color than the ONE LA but in the entire selection of everything 500 series the ONE LA is colored in general. No one piece is going to provide the same depth and color that multiple units layered in series can provide in tracking and mix imho. I haven't heard the DW in person (only some samples), it sounded similar to the Tubecore with a bit more of a midrange freq emphasis. In general an opto and a Mu is going to be very complementary.

The opto is slow, like riding a fader. The Mu is faster and more obvious (in a very musical way), but still slower than an 1176. For bass I'd personally lean opto, it's always been a better fit IME. An opto on tracking with a Mu for mix (or both in series during tracking) can sound amazing (same on voxs too).
Old 26th November 2014
Lives for gear

Chandler's Little Devil compressor has versatile controls and lots of colour on tap. It's not a 1176 clone or anything though. Chandler are focused on EMI and other Abbey Rd gear.
Old 26th November 2014
yeah i wondered about the tubecore. I honestly don't know anything about it however... how does it compare sonically to the Doublewide?
Old 26th November 2014
Lives for gear
I can tell you my experience with the DW,
bought it, sold it
When I got it I was hoping for it to be a great bass comp
and that's where I liked it the least.
It has a very midrangey tone, nasal to me,
I've never found a place where I really liked that tone
Compression action is nice, you can compress a lot
without artifacts, that nice, and it was also more versatile
than what I was expecting, but again that is in regard of its action
the way it applies GR, it was just the voicing/color
that I didn't like.
Compared to an LA2A, def not similar, not near as warm
(not warm at all actually), more versatile compression wise
way less versatile tone wise
Is well built and everything and is not bad sounding
just not my cup of tea.
Old 27th November 2014
Gear Maniac

I have both. They do a little bit different things, as Nathan says. I like to put the DW before the One LA for bass tracking, and go for small amounts of GR on both, though I could add more without sacrificing audio quality. While I like to commit to a sound in tracking, I like to leave room for a little compression when I mix.

I'd say that the DW is more versatile, but I could track with either quite happily. I don't find the DW nasal in the least- there may be a slight midrange boost, but it is in a very small order. If recording a more plosive singer or more percussive bass, I would really use a faster comp at the beginning of the chain.
Old 4th December 2014
I have a Doublewide and think it's a pretty awesome compressor. I kept it over the Inward Connections Brute and Schmidlin Fed+, both of which I sold a few months back. I'm selling the DW now because I ended up picking up a Sta and need to open a couple 500 slots, but that's not a knock against the DW at all. Really nice comp.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search