The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just put down a deposit on gen2 Barefoot mm27s Studio Monitors
Old 23rd November 2014
Lives for gear
Just put down a deposit on gen2 Barefoot mm27s

Ouch, that one really dinged the old bank account!

I'm using Dynaudio bm5as right now. I tried to make the Event Opals work for me, but after two defective pairs, I decided that I might need to make the plunge on some top-flight kit. I've been following the mm27s for a few years now and have always been intrigued.

So come on everybody tell me how amazing they are! I'm nervous and excited at the same time. Huge purchase for me....
Old 23rd November 2014
Lives for gear
Damn, you lucky. I want one too.
Old 23rd November 2014
Lives for gear

I want two!

I made the same decision, but haven't made the purchase yet because of construction delays on my studio.

I heard them at Vintage King and at AES and I really don't thing you can go wrong. They sounded better than everything else I compared them to. It IS a lot of $$ but we just have to suck it up because you have start with knowing that you can trust what you are hearing!

(just make sure your room is well treated to take advantage of them)
Old 23rd November 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGTR View Post
It IS a lot of $$ but we just have to suck it up because you have start with knowing that you can trust what you are hearing!

(just make sure your room is well treated to take advantage of them)
Yup!

I started out buying expensive hardware with prosumer-grade monitoring in an untreated room. Found out the hard way that I had my priorities backwards, sold the analog hardware, and have been investing in acoustics and saving for better monitors ever since!
Old 23rd November 2014
Lives for gear

You will be very happy with these speakers. I put the original ones in out at Black Dog Studios. When I pulled a mix on them then took that mix to my mastering lab they translated very well to the B&W N802's (and my N805's). I was very happy with the purchase. All the other engineers that worked out of there seemed to like them as well.

With every studio I ever owned or built the monitoring is (and has always been) the key ingredient, after all if you can't hear what you are tracking or mixing properly then you are just flying blind. IMHO monitors are the most important piece of equipment in any facility.
Old 25th November 2014
They are brilliant !

But it is good too, to have also a pair of smaller & softer monitors in your studio for nearfield (Neumann KH310A, Genelecs, NS10....)
Barefoots like it loud !

A proud MM27 owner.
R.
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear

Sorry but I have a slightly different opinion. Recently compared the MM27 gen 2 to Focal Twins in an excellent, treated, quiet room. They are without a doubt fantastic sounding speakers (did not get a chance to work with them, only listen), but I did not think they sounded 3x better, in relation to price, than the Twins.

Frequency content from about 45Hz and above was very clear and detailed on both. The MM27 sounded a bit more "clear" and "larger", but I was not missing any frequencies on the Twins - they both sounded good. When listening to modern, electronic music with really low bass the MM27s get that extra 5th interval down below - but it seems like that could be easily had with a sub on the Twins.

I'd say if the price came down to the original gen 1 price of around 6K, than yes - absolutely worth it. Oh well, just my 2c.
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
but I did not think they sounded 3x better, in relation to price, than the Twins.
its the last few inches that cost the most.
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sorry but I have a slightly different opinion. Recently compared the MM27 gen 2 to Focal Twins in an excellent, treated, quiet room. They are without a doubt fantastic sounding speakers (did not get a chance to work with them, only listen), but I did not think they sounded 3x better, in relation to price, than the Twins.

Frequency content from about 45Hz and above was very clear and detailed on both. The MM27 sounded a bit more "clear" and "larger", but I was not missing any frequencies on the Twins - they both sounded good. When listening to modern, electronic music with really low bass the MM27s get that extra 5th interval down below - but it seems like that could be easily had with a sub on the Twins.

I'd say if the price came down to the original gen 1 price of around 6K, than yes - absolutely worth it. Oh well, just my 2c.
I'd say you really need to work with them for a while to know how they work for you as a mixing tool. I thought event Opals sounded "great" when listening to polished recordings, but when I started actually producing and mixing with them, the fatal flaws became obvious. With the mm27s, I'll have to create some tracks and mix them before I know if these are going to work for me in the long run.

What did you think of the MEME feature on the mm27s?
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKD View Post
I'd say you really need to work with them for a while to know how they work for you as a mixing tool. I thought event Opals sounded "great" when listening to polished recordings, but when I started actually producing and mixing with them, the fatal flaws became obvious. With the mm27s, I'll have to create some tracks and mix them before I know if these are going to work for me in the long run.

Yes, absolutely agree. Don't get me wrong, if I was rich I would get the MM27s! I did not try the MEME feature - totally forgot to, actually.
Old 1st December 2014
Quote:

I agree, the Twins will allow you to obtain great mixes. If you want a fuller sound, add the Focal sub. I do love the Barefoot 27's though.
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Addict

MM27's gen 2

I feel your pocket book pain. I just purchased a pair as well. They ship this Friday. Had the opportunity to spend some time with them. Couldn't say no. And I love ATC's
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
I feel your pocket book pain. I just purchased a pair as well. They ship this Friday. Had the opportunity to spend some time with them. Couldn't say no. And I love ATC's

When did you place your order?

I'm still waiting for a ship date :(
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:

I ordered the MM45s and I didn't get a ship date for 2 1/2 weeks. I was told (by Barefoot) that they currently make about 10 speakers a week (but I also saw they are hiring more people for assembly). I got my ship date on the 21st of Nov stating they should ship Dec 19th.

I have a feeling I'm going to be in a small room for a while, plus I can actually do the 45s without dying. The 27s are just too much of a stretch at the moment.. However if I don't agree with the 45s... I'm sending them back to save for the 27s.
Old 3rd December 2014
My only issue with my mm27s is the bass is so well represented you hear every little thing missed or messed up in mixing/mastering. Great for mixing but a bit annoying when just listening to music for enjoyment.

The MEME function looks like a great thing in regards to this but I have no intention of ever selling my original mm27s.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwagner View Post
My only issue with my mm27s is the bass is so well represented you hear every little thing missed or messed up in mixing/mastering. Great for mixing but a bit annoying when just listening to music for enjoyment.

The MEME function looks like a great thing in regards to this but I have no intention of ever selling my original mm27s.
Sounds like a great problem to have!

How controlled is the lowend in your room?
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:
Sounds like a great problem to have!

How controlled is the lowend in your room?
It's not perfect but really good, no major dropouts, no major build ups. Usually it's an overzealous kick drum, sometimes bass guitar or bass heavy instrument and occasionally acoustic instruments that sound like a HPF was never used. Once in a while it's someone bumping a mic stand or some other unintended thing that wasn't caught.
Old 4th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

About two weeks ago, gusted checked they are due to ship to me no later than the 5th. That means next week some time i should receive them.
Old 4th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
About two weeks ago, gusted checked they are due to ship to me no later than the 5th. That means next week some time i should receive them.
Nice. I just got my ship date this morning...should be out the door on the 12th.
Old 5th December 2014
Gear Addict

MM 27's Gen 2

Quote:
Nice. I just got my ship date this morning...should be out the door on the 12th.
Good news!
Old 5th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
sweet.
they're monster speakers.
Old 5th December 2014
QRS
Gear Maniac

heard/worked with the MM27 Gen2 three days ago and was very very excited - that was not expected !
i had 27 gen1 years ago in my studio with atc scm 25 to choose a new monitor system and was going with the atc's.
i'm still very happy with these and they're going nowhere (love them!) but i really think about these barefoots... cant get them out of my head.
and that MEME function (liked the NS10 emulation) is really cool - nice quick option to have in the same sweet spot. it's not just a marketing gimmick.
you can come a long way with "just" one pair of speakers (if you want/have to).
the full bass tone the MM27 deliver is special. of course you need a good tuned room but be sure you like thick growling mama that gives you a big hug.
i'm also interested to listen to the new MM45. no meme and maybe not that big, full sound but i must give them a listen.
so, to BigKD, i think the 27gen2's are amazing and congratulations!
yes, the money you've spent is a lot but i don't think you regret that purchase when you work with them.
and the translation to other systems is really very good.
good choice you made!
Old 6th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hey just curious what you referring to as fatal flaws in the opals? I use the opals on a daily basis and personally don't have any issues, but I would like to know what other things you're experiencing. I saw you in another thread complaining about the chuffing.
I personally find the monitors too revealing at times but great for referencing depth, space and compression levels, reverb tails etc and stereo image but love mixing on the smaller speakers to really finalize and hone what I'm after
Old 6th December 2014
Lives for gear

How long 'til somebody tells you that you should have saved yourself some money and buy Amphions instead? It's the hype of the month (I'm sure they're good but the hype is so crazy I've even entertained the thought of getting them but no can do, should have been around a year ago when I bought PSI's).
Old 7th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy View Post
How long 'til somebody tells you that you should have saved yourself some money and buy Amphions instead? It's the hype of the month (I'm sure they're good but the hype is so crazy I've even entertained the thought of getting them but no can do, should have been around a year ago when I bought PSI's).
Yea there's been so much hype surrounding the amphions that even I am skeptical! Last year it was the spiral grooves, and next year it will be something different.

With the Barefoot mm27s, there is an 8 year track record now, and I haven't come across more than a handful of people who weren't satisfied with them.
Old 7th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Hey just curious what you referring to as fatal flaws in the opals? I use the opals on a daily basis and personally don't have any issues, but I would like to know what other things you're experiencing. I saw you in another thread complaining about the chuffing.
I personally find the monitors too revealing at times but great for referencing depth, space and compression levels, reverb tails etc and stereo image but love mixing on the smaller speakers to really finalize and hone what I'm after
The fatal flaw was indeed the crazy port noise when working with bass instruments. Other than that they were fine.
Old 7th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yea there's been so much hype surrounding the amphions that even I am skeptical! Last year it was the spiral grooves, and next year it will be something different.

With the Barefoot mm27s, there is an 8 year track record now, and I haven't come across more than a handful of people who weren't satisfied with them.
Not to worry.at all.
I have the SG's
They are great small mixing monitors.
The G2 BF's are a completely different animal.
Old 7th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The fatal flaw was indeed the crazy port noise when working with bass instruments. Other than that they were fine.
Cool thanks for that. I'm definitely interested to hear your thoughts making the jump to the mm27's
Old 7th December 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy View Post
Yup, thats hype, happens with most new "good" monitors.
Old 17th December 2014
Gear Addict

Barefoot MM 27 Gen 2

Well just got my pair. unfortunately one monitor had problems with a connection on one of the speakers. Noise even with out signal. Had to send it back. Hope all will be ok.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search