The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Calling all D&R users! 500 Series Preamps
Old 22nd November 2014
Calling all D&R users!

Hi all,

Firstly excuse my ignorance on this..

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to connecting my external pre amps to my D&R Octagon console?

The board has db25 connectors with multi track connectors, line inputs and tie lines. Atm, my outboard compressors and preamps are connected via the tie lines, but I don't think having the external pre's on the tie lines are the correct method? - I'm still having to pull the gain pot down on the input of the console everytime I patch a mic to the outboard pre, kinda doubling up gain stages

Thanks in advance
Old 22nd November 2014
Lives for gear

D&R is still in business.
Don't be afraid to give them a call.
Old 26th November 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, hit up D&R, but are you going into the mic input on the board or the line input? you should be going into the line input after an external pre.
Old 27th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
Yeah, hit up D&R, but are you going into the mic input on the board or the line input? you should be going into the line input after an external pre.
I think I've figured it out!! Thanks man. Gonna take your advice and try it on the line inputs. Only problem is the external pre's will have to be hard wired in and I won't be able to assign particular channels on the board to that pre.
Old 30th November 2014
Still waiting on D&R!!

I currently have my tie lines from the live room plugged into the mic pre's on the desk 1-24. I was thinking about changing the male xlr ends to DB25s and plugging them straight into the patchbay (tie lines). My only concern is i'm not sure if they are normalled or half normalled. Also, I don't have 24 Channel's of outboard pre's so can I still patch the remaining channels from the tie lines to the console pre's?

I've posted my setup below. How would you wire up the studio/console to get the best workflow? I am about to re-located the studio to another premise and I really want to have it set up correctly.

56 Channel D&R Octagon Console
Lynx Aurora 16
Digidesign 192 (8in/16out)

PREAMPS
Avalon737
Universal Audio LA610mk11
Neve 1073LB x 2
API 512c x 2
GAP 73
Warm Audio
Universal Audio Solo 610
DBX 376 Channel Strip

COMPS
Altec 436
Hairball 1176
Distressor Elx8 x 2

Cheers guys
Old 30th November 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
Put everything on the patch to make swapping around easy.
Some object to mics being on the patch but many manufacturers do this and it is not the major problem some seem to think. You could consider an extra strip of 'mic patches' if you don't have them already.
The 'best' workflow for you is yours alone so you need to think hard and define what you really need to achieve.
Matt S
Old 1st December 2014
Thanks for the advice Matt!

I think I may need to go downthe route of a separate patchbay unfortunately. Even though the patch bay on the console is pretty epic I can't seem to find where the line inputs are coming up on the console patchbay.
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear

Did you have a look at the manual, yet?

DISCONTINUED

Page 48
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search