The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Munro Sonic Egg 150 in use ? Studio Monitors
Old 31st December 2014
Here for the gear
Warning: I know this isn't a fair comparison. But I offer the following thoughts, imprecise though they are, in hopes they may help.

I've owned Eggs for a bit over two years. Mixes made on them translate pretty well. And they don't fatigue my ears. So for the money, they are pretty good. Earlier this year, though, in part due to that dreaded GS high end speaker thread, I went crazy are bought a pair of Geithain 944/k1's and a pair of Barefoot MM27 II's. Insane, yes. But I wanted something critically revealing (the Barefoots) and something with a midrange clarity that would push me to do better (the Geithains).

At first, I kept going back to the Eggs. I was used to them and they seemed easier to listen to. Also, there is something about the sound of the Eggs that's different than any other speakers I've ever owned and I've owned a few. Something like less of the cabinet sound or like a kind of distortion had been eliminated. Unfortunately, the more I compared the Eggs to the other two speakers, the more I realized the Eggs make things sound a bit better than they are. In other words, the Eggs sound better in one way, but less critical in another.

Now several months later, I've disconnected the Eggs, in part as my Avocet only has three outs and I needed all three.

Would I buy them again, given I had never lived with more costly speakers? Surprisingly, yes. I also own Lipinski 707's and still, I kept the Eggs. And I probably will keep them. I like how they sound. But they never pushed me to become better and that's what I want most.
Old 31st December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Maybe he has these puppies at. $1.1 million each, and 3500lbs And the Amp below is $650,000....22,000 watts .
So at a grand total $2.85 million he is probably right..... I know it is a bit over my $2,500 budget

I acoustics do not look so great in that room.
Old 15th July 2015
Here for the gear

The new Munro Sonic Eggs 150's

I was browsing threads and came across this one for last year but I thought i'd post anyhow just in case there are others thinking about a possible purchase of these monitors. I have been using the new MunroSonic Egg 150's with the new amps and I can vouch to say that they do indeed sound amazing.
There is also a new heavyweight speaker mount that gives free movement to the monitors and reinforces the low end. I thought they sounded good before, now it's just incredible what you get for the money. The stereo image is second to none in my opinion with a precise soundstage the really encapsulates the frequency spectrum. Not only will you be able to hear your mix accurately but you can also pinpoint where things need to be in the soundstage. This is especially useful for mixing things like drum kits where you need to be able to keep the instruments separate and sounding like they are actually being played on a real kit. Not only that but when producing electronic music you can create a wide stereo field and manually position instruments to clean up a mix or just to simply create that vast positional info within a track that we always strive for (it's still a difficult skill, but you can really visualise the placement of the instruments and sounds).
Old 9th September 2016
OK my two penny's worth... First I upgraded to the later version EGG 150 around a month ago (partly based on posts in this thread - a big THANK YOU to all the balanced contributors) So it is early days but I am very happy with them. Translation of mixes (which to me is the most fundamental point) has been excellent with relatively little time spent on the learning curve. Admittedly I upgraded from the PreSonus Eris E8 so the difference was bound to be dramatic. BTW I auditioned the EGGs alongside the Focal CMS 65, honestly I was torn between the two and indeed agonised at some length, but ultimately the EGGs edged the win.

I can also concur with the statements regarding their compatibility with the Focal Spirit Pro Headphones both translate well and consistently in my, admittedly limited experience thus far, but I have to say I am very happy with my choice.

I am not sure whether it is relevant or not but I produce mostly Progressive / Symphonic Metal combined with some Folk and Acoustic Ensemble work as well as the occasional Choir. So far nothing has created any issues with the system.

I would echo the point made by other posters that Monitors are highly subjective and they really need to be tried as one man's meat is another man's poison.

Hope this helps :-)
Old 5th November 2017
Lives for gear

kev did you finally buy a set of eggs?you never updated to say what you did

im in the same position as you were i was always intrested in the eggs but the prce was way out of my league and couldnt justify it when i was having my house renovated and that ate up most of my cash..but now theyve dropped them to under a grand im very very intrested and my wifes said go get yourself a pair of the best monitors you can afford so i can be more happy with my mixs..
at present ive been using krk rokit6 and i really like them but i find sometimes my mixs lack the clarity im looking for and on listening on diffeent systems i hear stuff that i wish i could hear at home so i could get rid of it like muddiness in my lows and fizzy highs it does my head in.

hope you can help and tell me what you bought and if you did buy the eggs what are your thoughts on them thanks
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Head
After listening to these one time, I was completely sold and once I got "an offer I couldn't refuse", I bought them.
Awaiting them in a few days.

Anyway. I got an apollo twin duo.
Does anyone have the same setup?

I just wonder because I don´t really know if I can connect them...
Old 9th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Just bumping this thread I really appreciate the input so far even the mild distraction. So thanks to the thoughtful on topic comments

After including the original model and given the speakers are essentially the same I would have thought since the product it self has been out about 3 years that there would be more users. but thanks all , Kev

Couple of years have passed so I figured to test the grounds - how did your Indiana-Jones-like adventures getting yourself some dinosaur eggs go? How would you describe your experience after owning them for some time?

I'm particularly interested because there's a great offer over in UK and since I've been playing with the idea to upgrade my own home studio system, a great pair of monitors would be a much needed upgrade (upgrade seems such a strong word since I'm rocking two pairs of speakers intended for everyday home usage - cheap Yamaha cabinets and Tannoy MX-3 floor speakers).

Long live music!
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4rr4t0r View Post
Couple of years have passed so I figured to test the grounds - how did your Indiana-Jones-like adventures getting yourself some dinosaur eggs go? How would you describe your experience after owning them for some time?

I'm particularly interested because there's a great offer over in UK and since I've been playing with the idea to upgrade my own home studio system, a great pair of monitors would be a much needed upgrade (upgrade seems such a strong word since I'm rocking two pairs of speakers intended for everyday home usage - cheap Yamaha cabinets and Tannoy MX-3 floor speakers).

Long live music!
Been a while actually in the end I did not get the Eggs I ended up with Amphion One 18's so I can't comment on the eggs as I have not heard them
Old 7th February 2018
Gear Head
I like them very much. Been using them for over a month or so, and i´m starting to get used to them. Nice round low-range, and they´re also very clear in the hi-range. It´s got a wheel with + 0 - for mid-range. + is for the low-end, - brings up the spark, and 0 is the flat response.
The LED lights on the Munro 150 SE look better more hidden, and worked better as to find the perfect spot.
But I like them very much.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search