The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix Buss Stereo Compressor Recomendations
Old 19th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
The control is so spot on and easy it's kind of scary. However, most people would likely be amazed at how CLEAN it runs when gain staged properly. It always sounds big and wide, and putting it into the SB mode (StandBy) the tubes are powered at 50% and distort in this really glorious and useful way. Possibly the most versatile tone compressor on the planet.

War
I can totally underline that. The CV 15 is something you can put on nearly everything .. it just sounds better :-)
From hard driven overdrive to fat melting to subtle enhancement ... it is so versatile, can't imagine to live without it anymore!
Old 19th November 2014
Gear Nut

Only thing on my mix bus these days is the clariphonic. It's got a nicer lift than my pulse's and I tend to get a cleaner and larger lowend if I don't boost on the mix bus.

I don't mix through my obsidian/SHDV anymore.
Old 19th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Out of these compressor recommendations, are there any that could not be used as mono comps for tracking if need be as well? or for a drum buss to be run through?
My favorite unit for this task is the QES Labs Variable Gm.
It features two independent channels. You have the option to use them in dual mono or stereo linked.
This is a great unit to round the mixes edges, still keeping subtle details. It can add thickness and size, with a sweet sparkle on the mid-high.
You can listen to some samples on the drum bus I recorded some time ago in an old thread.
Old 19th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUnknown View Post
I can totally underline that. The CV 15 is something you can put on nearly everything .. it just sounds better :-)
From hard driven overdrive to fat melting to subtle enhancement ... it is so versatile, can't imagine to live without it anymore!
Definitely! You can really sculpt the sound as far as your imagination allows. It's
one of those pieces that you put on your master when you think it already sounds great then after you dial in the 15 and flick the bypass suddenly it's lifeless without it!

I really need to get one for myself. I imagine the stereo compressor is just as magical. Does it have the presence boosting options that the 15 has?
Old 20th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Cool so many ideas!
Old 21st November 2014
Lives for gear

Definitely lots of options...thank you folks. With this many, I struggle to even work out what to test....
Curious to know,,,,speaking of big time mix engineer, say Chris Lord Alge or Manny Moroquin etc. Would anyone know what the big dogs use for their general usage for most of their work (even if it's combined with other). This may make my life easier in demoing that is more known.
Old 21st November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Definitely lots of options...thank you folks. With this many, I struggle to even work out what to test....
Curious to know,,,,speaking of big time mix engineer, say Chris Lord Alge or Manny Moroquin etc. Would anyone know what the big dogs use for their general usage for most of their work (even if it's combined with other). This may make my life easier in demoing that is more known.
I dunno about Moroquin, but Lord Alge uses a Focusrite Red 3. I assume he'd use other gear too or his SSL console!

I'm assuming there's a good reason I see the Red 3 in most big name studios. I think in part it's due to how flexible they are across all genres. They can be extremely subtle and just add a little colour and bring the mix together or they can smash it for dance or rock ...
Old 22nd November 2014
Gear Maniac

Dangerous Compressor and FCS P4S ME.
Old 22nd November 2014
My Obsidian on the 2 buss changed everything!
Old 22nd November 2014
Lives for gear

So many options.....really unsure where to start...
Old 22nd November 2014
Lives for gear

I'd start by finding a few nearby pro audio stores to visit with a reference disc of program material
Old 23rd November 2014
Quote:
So many options.....really unsure where to start...
Start with your budget of course, work back from there.
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilson View Post
I don't mix through my obsidian/SHDV anymore.
Why?
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
Why?
Dead thread . . . .
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

This is an old thread but for posterity....

RN 5012 >1073 LBEQ pair>RN 5043 are hanging off my mixer 2buss. Monitored and back to DAW but I am guerilla recording guy.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search