The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1st day with a 480L - utterly impressed, will an ams rmx do the same to me?
Old 11th November 2014
  #1
Gear Addict
1st day with a 480L - utterly impressed, will an ams rmx do the same to me?

hi there!

so i finally i did it. sold the bricasti and bought a 480L. arrived yesterday - what a day! cant describe how much i love this unit already. it would be the last thing to go out of my studio - easy.

i got a lexicon model 200 2 months ago and was already impressed but this thing just adds pure life and joy to every sound. within 30 min the mix i was working on sounded warm, alive, wide, together ...

so my question now is - i could get an ams rmx for a good price - would it impress me in a simular way? i´m afraid everything will fade next to the 480L. i already have the lex200, emt140 plate, tc m5000 (just got it), h3000 (which i love) and some less hi end stuff (pcm70, spx990, dynacord drp20).

obviously i´m into vintage 80ies reverbs and i think i´m goin for the ams but does anybody want to talk me out of it?
Old 11th November 2014
  #2
Old 11th November 2014
  #3
Gear Nut
 
cLoudBase's Avatar
 

He'll no....great box....go for it !!
Old 11th November 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Warp69's Avatar
 

The Lexicon 480L is one of my favorite reverbs (mostly the Random Hall and Random Ambience algorithms) - for me personally the AMS RMX16 is one of the least used reverbs I have. I would not put it in the same category as the 480L.

I have Lexicon 480L, 300L, 224XL, 224, PCM91, Bricasti, TC S6000, Quantec QRS, 2496, Sony S777, DRE2000, AMS RMX16, EMT250, Klark Teknik DN780, Roland R880, AKG ADR68K, Eventide SP2016, H8000FW, Kurzweil KSP8.
Old 11th November 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Duke Murdock's Avatar
Warp, that's quite a collection there. I'm curious as to which ones get used most often. Honestly it seems hard to go wrong with that lineup.
Old 11th November 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Warp69's Avatar
 

I prefer som specific qualities in a reverb and the following 6 reverbs are the best for me :

Bricasti M7 (V1)
Lexicon 480L (Random Hall and Ambience)
Lexicon 224XL (Halls and Rich Chamber/Plate)
Quantec 2496 (Complex)
Sony S777
TC S6000 (VSS5.1/VSS6.1)

Algorithms in ().
Old 11th November 2014
  #7
Lives for gear
It depends on what sounds you're looking for. The RMX's Ambience and Nonlin2 patches are its party piece, and for those two nothing comes close, however if they aren't the sounds you need you may not get much use out of it.
Old 11th November 2014
  #8
Gear Addict
that is like the ultimate collection i would say! but i guess as always theres no other way than testing it yourself. i actually really like the delays of the 480L but i´d rather use it for reverbs - is there a delay unit that does lush and great sounding delays like the 480L? i have the yamaha d5000 which a lot of people dig but i just find it not very inspiring to edit or handle ...
Old 11th November 2014
  #9
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonengineer View Post
It depends on what sounds you're looking for. The RMX's Ambience and Nonlin2 patches are its party piece, and for those two nothing comes close, however if they aren't the sounds you need you may not get much use out of it.
Actually the emts nonline wipe the floor with the ams
Old 11th November 2014
  #10
Lives for gear
 

I think if you can grab an AMS-RMX16 for silly money, great, though be aware some older units are 12 bit and some 15/16 bit etc. I found this out the hard way. Also there were broadcast models that have no nudge button, so you need a remote (More 1580-S) though combo units RMX w/1580-S cards are still floating around - Avoid these unless you've got cash to fix as well as the Card Proms which SE can provide. No matter what though these units have a "Certain Something" ....Especially if used on Synths and Drum machines, on an Analog Console any version will sound great, through a DAW you'll notice signal degradation, though Hey.....you might dig the bit crunching! As for the Non Lin Reverbs....Most any Eventide can do them just as well...Eclipse/DSP4000 etc.
Old 11th November 2014
  #11
Gear Nut
 
Flexable's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. Harrison View Post
that is like the ultimate collection i would say! But i guess as always theres no other way than testing it yourself. I actually really like the delays of the 480l but i´d rather use it for reverbs - is there a delay unit that does lush and great sounding delays like the 480l? I have the yamaha d5000 which a lot of people dig but i just find it not very inspiring to edit or handle ...
tc 2290
Old 11th November 2014
  #12
Gear Addict
i do work with synths and drummachines from the 80ies a lot. and i love the reverbs of the h3000. that reverb-delayr hybrid thing .. just sounds really big!
the unit has the nudge buttons. he is asking for 1300 euros which is i think a good price - pretty sure i could sell it for around 2000 here in germany if i didnt like it. the are really rare here. thats the point - i would need a great delay more urgent but the ams almost never pop up here. plus i could sell a few other bits and get a 2290 as well.

and i do have a console -> mr. harrison
Old 11th November 2014
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLoudBase View Post
He'll no....great box....go for it !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexable View Post
tc 2290
Hmmm, Unless you have the sampling Software and can afford the now eBay only Proprietary Ram Cards I'd stay away from the TC2290, lovely indulgence though when you find out your stuck w/ maximum 4 seconds of memory and their close to $2K you'll start feeling a touch ripped of, the Insert Send/Return features are absolutely brilliant for live use

I.E Chain TC2290 ->SP2016 ->H3000->PCM-70 etc

Though through the release of the TC D2 it seems the company had decided to end it all. Very secretive bunch at TC Electronics? Getting Service and ECO lists/manuals is like asking for your German Democratic Republic Stassi File in 1971 sans Scandinavian!
Old 11th November 2014
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. harrison View Post
i do work with synths and drummachines from the 80ies a lot. and i love the reverbs of the h3000. that reverb-delayr hybrid thing .. just sounds really big!
the unit has the nudge buttons. he is asking for 1300 euros which is i think a good price - pretty sure i could sell it for around 2000 here in germany if i didnt like it. the are really rare here. thats the point - i would need a great delay more urgent but the ams almost never pop up here. plus i could sell a few other bits and get a 2290 as well.

and i do have a console -> mr. harrison
Well.....from Hamburg to London the RMX-16 will be in the thousands! Price seems ok though I'd want to see the guts, the TC2290 has had it's day unless cheap as.....under 800 Euro etc. Just my humble opine!

Also....since the AMS release in Software, the price of 1300 Euro is even..ish in price $$$$....Kulka sells the Refurbished units for 2400$ USD. Maybe something to think of, and your paying VAT on an import, so.....up to you Brother, if the guts are good and facia..go for it!

Last edited by TheLastByte; 11th November 2014 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: adding
Old 11th November 2014
  #15
Lives for gear
 

what year is this? what century?
Old 11th November 2014
  #16
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Hmmm, Unless you have the sampling Software and can afford the now eBay only Proprietary Ram Cards I'd stay away from the TC2290, lovely indulgence though when you find out your stuck w/ maximum 4 seconds of memory and their close to $2K you'll start feeling a touch ripped of, the Insert Send/Return features are absolutely brilliant for live use

I.E Chain TC2290 ->SP2016 ->H3000->PCM-70 etc

Though through the release of the TC D2 it seems the company had decided to end it all. Very secretive bunch at TC Electronics? Getting Service and ECO lists/manuals is like asking for your German Democratic Republic Stassi File in 1971 sans Scandinavian!
i have to say i made a quite opposite experience recently. i asked them if theres is a newer software for my m5000 and they immediatly responded and mailed me the software. when there was a problem with installing it he even offered to send me a floppy! and i just bought this old 2nd hand unit on ebay.
Old 11th November 2014
  #17
Gear Nut
 
Flexable's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
what year is this? what century?
If you know how to deal with them (480, 300, 224, TC-2290, PCM70 D5000. etc.),. it is timeless..
Old 11th November 2014
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. harrison View Post
i have to say i made a quite opposite experience recently. i asked them if theres is a newer software for my m5000 and they immediatly responded and mailed me the software. when there was a problem with installing it he even offered to send me a floppy! and i just bought this old 2nd hand unit on ebay.
If you hurry up you might even be able to get one of the last few ATAC remotes for the M5000. I did so two months ago. Call Helge Haffke: Broadcast & Production Sales Representatives | TC Electronic
If you need chips to install the HiMem option then let me know. I have a bag full of these left over. Same with 2290 memory... Mine has 8s delaytime now.
Old 11th November 2014
  #19
Gear Addict
ok i have to ask this now even tho i might sound like a total noob - why do u need an 8s delaytime? i´ve seen this discussion on many delay threads but i just never understood it.
Old 11th November 2014
  #20
Gear Addict
i have to say that i actually might be ok with the controls on the m5000 - 5 knobs is already quite a lot. how much is a remote then?
Old 11th November 2014
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
what year is this? what century?
Now tell us you favourite reverb plugin
Old 11th November 2014
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. harrison View Post
i have to say that i actually might be ok with the controls on the m5000 - 5 knobs is already quite a lot. how much is a remote then?
600€

I´ve been using it in my live rack for effect control, as an effect itself and for sampling. 8s memorytime is divided into sampling+delay time, 8s being the total maximum.
Old 11th November 2014
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. harrison View Post
ok i have to ask this now even tho i might sound like a total noob - why do u need an 8s delaytime? i´ve seen this discussion on many delay threads but i just never understood it.
The Sampling on the TC2290.....If another GS Member can provide the Last Eprom for full featured Sampling and Delay, your winning, Max Delay was around 32 Seconds......That's when the TC2290 is Sheerly Sublime!
Old 11th November 2014
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
If you hurry up you might even be able to get one of the last few ATAC remotes for the M5000. I did so two months ago. Call Helge Haffke: Broadcast & Production Sales Representatives | TC Electronic
If you need chips to install the HiMem option then let me know. I have a bag full of these left over. Same with 2290 memory... Mine has 8s delaytime now.
Can you please PM me the details of the Eprom and MEO Chips jensenmann.
appreciated!
Cheers
TheLastByte
Old 11th November 2014
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
The Sampling on the TC2290.....If another GS Member can provide the Last Eprom for full featured Sampling and Delay, your winning, Max Delay was around 32 Seconds......That's when the TC2290 is Sheerly Sublime!
There was an additional PCB necessary to get beyond 8s total memory time. TC discontinued this PCB because of the connector no more being available. For me this was a political decision because the connector could have been replaced with another brand which is available upto today.
Old 11th November 2014
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
Now tell us you favourite reverb plugin
I rarely ever use verb plugins. But IMO ir 1 sukks the least. For algorithmic Valhalla has a pretty quality sound.
Old 11th November 2014
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexable View Post
If you know how to deal with them (480, 300, 224, TC-2290, PCM70 D5000. etc.),. it is timeless..
PCM70 is just way too noisy to use professionally. I sold my PCM 70 in 1995. and then a few years later I dumped my 224xl. Don't miss them at all. What is the point of older digtial hardware reverbs these days? At least Bricasti has a hint of realism. Lex is just fake and hazy. The lex units are good for chorus but there are plugins not hat are better for that stuff. IMO Eventide is the go to unit for other effects patches. Especially now with the 3000 plug. I'm just curious what you guys would need these older units for and how do you use them with your ITB setup ? Are you guys still mixing on a desk? or summing ??
Old 11th November 2014
  #28
Lives for gear
 

TC 2290 KITCHEN SINK MODEL UPGRADES 64 Sec DDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
600€

I´ve been using it in my live rack for effect control, as an effect itself and for sampling. 8s memorytime is divided into sampling+delay time, 8s being the total maximum.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1415734304

If you look here at this PDF file you'll see the full range from Pitch-shifting, Sampling, Modulation, Triggering, Sound replacement, Sound on Sound Recording and so much more - You can also daisy chain and sample other units into the TC2290 etc......A must read for any TC2290 Kitchen Sink Upgrade Junkie.

Regards
TheLastByte
Attached Files
Old 11th November 2014
  #29
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
PCM70 is just way too noisy to use professionally. I sold my PCM 70 in 1995. and then a few years later I dumped my 224xl. Don't miss them at all. What is the point of older digtial hardware reverbs these days? At least Bricasti has a hint of realism. Lex is just fake and hazy. The lex units are good for chorus but there are plugins not hat are better for that stuff. IMO Eventide is the go to unit for other effects patches. Especially now with the 3000 plug. I'm just curious what you guys would need these older units for and how do you use them with your ITB setup ? Are you guys still mixing on a desk? or summing ??
yeah i have a harrison console. the reason i´m using outbard fx is (besides using a console) theres more life and depth in them. a 480L drags me into a space whereas a IR of it feels like a black and white photo of it. i just compared the relab plug to the 480L and although it sounds simular its not there. and i just hate to fiddle around on these GUIs with a mouse. touching faders, turning buttons is quicker and feels better too.

but i think if one has only medium or lower quality monitors the difference might not be that audible. i bought the focal sm9 last year and they have a great way of displaying reverb. i think that was when i got really mad about reverbs but it was worth it. since yesterday i´ve been just checking out and comparing the 480L to the M200 to the M5000
Old 11th November 2014
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Warp69's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. harrison View Post
i just compared the relab plug to the 480L and although it sounds simular its not there.
I have heard something similar before and everytime I ask for some test files that actually demonstrate a difference, I never ever receive anything - so this time I'm really hoping. You're more than welcome to mail me (the plugin have some extra parameters compared to the original). As always, you'll get the LX480 for free if you can send any files that show what you mean - you don't even have to use the license - you can just sell it right away.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump