The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Symphony I/O fan noise drives me Crazy!
Old 11th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
just a quick heads up for people opting to replace the original fan in their Symphony MKI at some point:

I just installed a replacement fan that I ordered from the local electronics store and the V+ and 0V connectors needed to be changed over on the Molex Connector.

The fan will not work at all unless this is corrected.

It is a bit fiddly diy job, but can be done without special tools...

Hey Mart, would be interesting to know what kind of fan it was (brand / model / vendor)...
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Hi Ed, look on the previous page, I posted all the info...

or are you looking for the fan model that user "kvandy" had installed in his Symphony MK1?
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by et71 View Post
Hey Mart, would be interesting to know what kind of fan it was (brand / model / vendor)...
The newer fan in mine seems to be the same model as the san ace on page 3.
Old 12th February 2019
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=mart;13805850]Hi Ed, look on the previous page, I posted all the info...

Ok, you mean that one from Fractal Design? Well the posting was almost 3 years old when you confirmed that you were able to make it work...
But thanks anyway.

Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Issues with Noctua replacement fan

Hey everyone, I decided to upgrade my stock fan Y.S Tech with a Noctua NF-A6x25. But after the initial spin burst at startup, it keeps running while the original one stops after the startup and only switches on when the temperature of the Symphony rises too much. So with the new one there is a constant fan noise even when the unit has a cold start. So I guess there are some incompatibility issues. I got 2 boards (2x6 and 8x8) installed. Does anyone have the same issues with replacement fans? If not, which one are you using? I read an earlier post about the San Ace 60 which Apogee sold as official replacement fan. But that one seems to have noise problems as well?

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

No issues here with San Ace 60 replacement. It’s pretty much inaudible. They also put the vent blocker on. 2 cards as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
My MKII has no fan issues.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvandy View Post
No issues here with San Ace 60 replacement. It’s pretty much inaudible. They also put the vent blocker on. 2 cards as well.
Ok tnx for the feedback! I go for the San Ace 60 then!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijns View Post
Ok tnx for the feedback! I go for the San Ace 60 then!
Update: Just to understand what was happening I did some measuring on the Apogee's 3 pin fan output. I measured that after the startup burst, with the original Y.S. Tech fan the voltage drops to approx 1.6 v, causing the fan to stop.
With the Noctua fan connected, it stays at 7.7v, causing the fan to run constantly and with no fan connected it stayed at 12.5v. So the conclusion was that the fan obviously sends info back over the yellow tacho wire that makes the Apogee change the output voltage. I discovered that Sanyo Denki (seems to be Apogee's official replacement for the original Y.S. Tech, see Mart's post on p.3) has a different tacho protocol than the standard protocol that the Noctua seems to use. Maybe that's also why those fans also have a slightly different pinout, pin 2 is GND instead of 12v. So I guess that means that if you want the Symphony to properly control the fan you can't just put in any fan. And if replacing the original fan with any other silent fan, it might be an idea to just let it run constantly at constant speed by cutting the yellow wire and as an extra maybe use a ULN cable or so to minimize noise.
But I'll go for the San Ace 60.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Simple Solution

Hey guys, after trying several things my radical solution was: I removed the fan and left the lid open. Who cares if it is mounted in a rack. Of course don't forget to leave some space above and maybe use a rack panel with air vents. Works perfectly well. No Noise at all.

Ed
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
I did have a problem with the MK 1 chassis which was fixed by installing a new quiet fan. I can assure you the MK II chassis does not make any fan noise. I have two MK II Symphony units now and they are spectacular converters. I just got one of the new 2 x 6 SE cards installed. The improvement in the sound quality is so noticeable in comparison to the MK I converters (which are very good). If I had 36 i/o channels of the SE quality (as opposed to 2 in and 6 out and 2 8x8 MK 1 cards) I would be set for life and would never need to upgrade my converters again. Everything is so detailed, wide and crystal clear through the SE card.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

maybe you could mount it in a big wooden enclosure, with acoustic foam on the inside of the wooden enclosure. then have a big, quiet computer fan pull air through the enclosure.

you could drill holes through the wood immediately above and below the converter on the front panel. then pull air out the back. this will force the air to be pulled directly over and under the converter.

it's just an idea. you could put a digital thermometer in the case and see how well the temperature stabilizes.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Small update: I installed the San Ace 60. It turns out that this one is also constantly spinning. But it's so quiet and the speed is so low that I don't hear it at all with the Symphony installed in a rack. It's loaded with a 2x6 and an 8x8 board. I had some long sessions since installing the San Ace 60 and the Symphony kept quiet the whole time with this fan installed .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search