The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ELA M 250 MIC REHAB'd: Holy Shamoly!!! Condenser Microphones
Old 1st November 2014
ELA M 250 MIC REHAB'd: Holy Shamoly!!!

Now that I've had a couple weeks and 5 vocalists on this vintage Telefunken ELA M 250 (Mic Rehab'd)… I'm realizing how amazing it truly is!!
ALL 5 of the vocalists exclaimed, before getting to the 1st chorus mind you, things like, "what mic IS this?!", "I've never heard myself sound this good!", "holy s#it!", "I sing better on this mic than anything else"… and so on. The low end is full and tight, mids detailed like nothing I've ever heard (VM1 maybe only other mic that could even be used as a reference but not as good) and the top end… like butta!! Simply gorgeous. Million dollar sound unlike anything I've ever recorded with.

And…this is with NO EQ!

Shannon Rhoades, you are a true artist!!
Anyone who thinks Shannon is merely a "tech" is sadly misunderstanding his genius. His combination of technical know-how, innovative methods, McCartney-like curiosity for the "what if we tried…" and impeccable ears would be enough to set him apart from the rest… but I think it's his passion for wanting to "feel something" thru his craft and creations that elevates his work above the rest.

Many thanks to @Sinsay787 for breathing life and soul into this microphone and for also being my friend.

Considering there are only two others like this in existence… John McBride of Blackbird Studios, Nashville and producer Dave Cobb who originally told me about Shan's work on his 250… I feel extremely fortunate.

More info on Mic Rehab: Mic Rehab | Keeping the classic microphones alive by restoring capsules with today's new technology.
Attached Thumbnails
ELA M 250 MIC REHAB'd: Holy Shamoly!!!-ela-m-250.jpg  
Old 3rd November 2014
Recording a male vocal right now, a guy I've always used my u67 on and was/is a great fit… so much so I wasn't even gonna warm up the 250. But, being the curious soul that I am, I did. Singer was like, "WTH is this?!" Lol… it's getting funny to just wait for the reaction… none have gotten past 1st verse. Haha.
Old 4th November 2014
Gear Nut

Very cool. Great to hear a success story where a dedicated practitioner is able to breathe new life into a 'Holy Grail' mic.

A really good 250/251 is a thing of wonder for sure!
Old 4th November 2014
Thanks Toppermost!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search