The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
need help with 2bus comp Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

need help with 2bus comp

I'm considering the following

Smart C2
Thermionic Phoenix
Stereo pair of BAE 10DC
Stereo pair of AML 54F50
another retro power strip since i already have one, this would give me some pultec style eq which is always nice to have but the comp is somewhat limited.

Any thoughts on the above would be great. I work mostly on singer songwriter and alternative music.
Old 29th October 2014
Gear Maniac

I work on the same music I love the nail by a design it gives a wonderful touch on everything you put it through I also love tracking through it
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

My first response would to not think of the C2 or the BAE 10DC and others you have on your list as the ultimate Mastering 2 Bus Compressor. Some units impart a warmth, other a clarity and sheen, other a juicy valve feeling, some a gritty VCA type vibe, and as far as the 2 Bus compression madness now goes, you really need to try every unit as a mono and or Stereo Pair and see which will be the most versatile for "Your Recording Scenario" as many comps like the Thermionic Phoenix can be gritty, warm, and overpowering in the same breath. It's all taste. And if your ITB or OTB the decision becomes even more of a priority as you'll want to insert it as well as have multiple uses for it. Bottom line -> No Magic Bullet Compressor Brother! It's a case of find and seek the select on Sound. You have such a broad range up there that if I were you I'd research every single unit as on GS these days opinions seem more based on what the owner has and thus fought for.....you need to find the answers yourself. Good luck as it's a very long and hard journey!
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

The best term for what I'm looking for I heard here on GS. That "shrink wrapped" sound. Everything is pulled together with a little sheen and polish. But I don't like hard or aggressive comps. I had the 2500 and didn't care for it. I've used an ssl g comp which I am fond of but it kinda makes everything a little more narrow and less deep then I an fond so I guess maybe I want a touch less shrink and a bit more wrap.
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

IF you are looking for sheen the the Manley Vari Mu would fit the bill but since you are fond of the G-SSL, I would think the Dramastic Obsidian would land you somewhere in between the GSSL and the Manley. Granted the Manley is a tube comp but from what I have seen the Obsidian has a bit more of a sheen to it than the GSSL. Just my two cents.
Old 29th October 2014
Jai guru deva om

You might consider the Dangerous Music Compressor, after about an hour in our hands I "got it" and found it to be very powerful. An interesting feature (on top of all the other interesting features) is the dual detector which allows the mix spread to remain more intact rather than the narrowing you mention here.

War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
The best term for what I'm looking for I heard here on GS. That "shrink wrapped" sound. Everything is pulled together with a little sheen and polish. But I don't like hard or aggressive comps. I had the 2500 and didn't care for it. I've used an ssl g comp which I am fond of but it kinda makes everything a little more narrow and less deep then I an fond so I guess maybe I want a touch less shrink and a bit more wrap.
Old 31st October 2014
Gear Maniac

I would consider the QES Labs Variable Gm tube compressor as well.
It can be conveniently operated in either dual mono or linked in stereo.

It's one of my fav units when it comes down to mix bus duties.
It helps deliver creamy and pleasing density, broadening the bottom to low-mid range for which vari-mu units are sought, while retaining transparency and micro-detail.
It can be aggressive when you crank the input up, or very soft and gentle. In link mode, you get a 3-dimensional wide open rock-solid stereo image.

It is worth a serious listen to.
Old 31st October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
You might consider the Dangerous Music Compressor, after about an hour in our hands I "got it" and found it to be very powerful. An interesting feature (on top of all the other interesting features) is the dual detector which allows the mix spread to remain more intact rather than the narrowing you mention here.

War
+1 Great Buss Compressor.
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

Hey thanks guys. right now I decided to go for the charter oak SCL1. I figure I have tubes and transformers everywhere in the signal chain so something clear and open that optimizes levels without skewing harmonics or displaying other audio artifacts is what I am after. I don't know if this will fit the bill as I've never heard it but I'm going to give it a shot.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search