The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Impedance and frequency Studio Headphones
Old 28th October 2014
Gear Addict

Impedance and frequency

I was just wondering how impedance relates to the frequency response of monitors and headphones especially.
For instance if I drive a set of high impedance headphones from a portable player, which requires low impedance headphones, will all frequencies suffer in the same way.
I've just tested an iPod with some sennheiser hd 580's and found the bass was ok but not so tight and struggled while the highs were balanced but not crystal. I know it may be down to the headphones themselves but questioned the impedance.

Is see some headphones have different ohmage for the same models, so, how does the ohm spec affect the sound quality.

Thanks
Old 28th October 2014
The iPod, like most small devices, have truly awful headphone amplifiers, that could have been the weak spot. It is less likely that impedance was an issue. If certain dynamic headphones require a higher voltage to operate at the same level, a higher impedance can be useful. It would have to be rather mismatched to affect the sound quality greatly. Nothing to really worry about, the manufacturers know what impedance will work best with their products and most headphone amps.
Old 28th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Yes. 580s are fairly high impedance (I really hate using "impedance" for "load", but everybody calls it that)- something like 300 ohms. It is best to match them with a system that tolerates that well. It will sound better and stress the output section less. That all said, I like, but don't love my 580s even with a better match. They're a little soft for rock and roll.
Old 28th October 2014
Gear Addict

Thanks.

Are there any devices with good headphone amps that support wav/ Flac etc? Btw what makes an headphone amp bad? Is it due to noise or linearity?

My old Sony Cd DNE800 has a great amp and the bass sounds really good.
Old 28th October 2014
Gear Addict

Meier Audio

A little something on impedance and frequency.....
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search