The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GML 8900 Alternatives?
Old 28th October 2014
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

GML 8900 Alternatives?

After watching several videos on Youtube about the GML 8900 and knowing that Manley is no longer building them for GML, is there any other compressor options out there that are even similar to what it does? I love how the threshold/ratio/output work as a DRC on these boxes. I would be happy to find another unit that functions the same way even with out the other features that the GML does.

Just thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone has any ideas!
Old 28th October 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

I guess with 118 views so far and not a single response from the knowledgeable folks here in the High End section, that shows how special the GML8900 really is.

Bueler?....... Bueler?......
Old 28th October 2014
  #3
Old 28th October 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 

I will be selling mine and lots of other things when I get my gear out of storage.
Old 28th October 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 

If it weren't for the ****ty meters that always seem to not function anymore after some time and are ridicuosly expensive, I know of no other compressor that is even remotely similar.

I'm not one geeking out on every new product that's introduced though.
Old 29th October 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 
syra's Avatar
I haven't found a replacement for mine. I love it and use it from tracking to mixing.
Old 29th October 2014
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
After watching several videos on Youtube about the GML 8900 and knowing that Manley is no longer building them for GML, is there any other compressor options out there that are even similar to what it does? I love how the threshold/ratio/output work as a DRC on these boxes. I would be happy to find another unit that functions the same way even with out the other features that the GML does.

Just thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone has any ideas!
I'd say 1 long straight piece of Copper Wire!

Cheers
TLB
Old 29th October 2014
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick View Post
I will be selling mine and lots of other things when I get my gear out of storage.

Well shoot me a note when you get ready to do that. I may be in a position to pick it up from you....that is of course assuming my new building is done and I don't have to be buying building materials any more!
Old 31st October 2014
  #9
Lives for gear
 

of course no boxes sound alike, but what exactly are you after? 30 - 40 db controlable gain reduction? a comp that seems to react to perceived loudness, not just voltages? control over peaks? a chainsaw?
Old 31st October 2014
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesaver800W View Post
of course no boxes sound alike, but what exactly are you after? 30 - 40 db controlable gain reduction? a comp that seems to react to perceived loudness, not just voltages? control over peaks? a chainsaw?
I only need the chainsaw for getting a great piano sound much like George does!

Mostly looking for how the 8900 acts as a DRC looking toward the output first.
Old 1st November 2014
  #11
Crane Song STC-8 is the box I would reach for,
Old 1st November 2014
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

Thanks Doc! I will look into that! I have not had any experience with that box at all so it looks like I now have a bit of a mission quest!
Old 1st November 2014
  #13
Lives for gear
 
syra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Crane Song STC-8 is the box I would reach for,
In a sense yes, but the 8900 is much more transparent.
Old 1st November 2014
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

I just finished looking around for some info on the Crane Song and really didn't find much. It would be awesome to see a video where someone is demoing the box instead of just doing a sales video from NAMM or AES. Anyone have any audio samples to share?
Old 3rd November 2014
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Vintageidiot's Avatar
I had many files shared with me from ALLABOUTTONE (RIP) comparing STC to 33609, on dropbox. I'll check and see if I can still access them, I may not be of help though....
Old 3rd November 2014
  #16
Lives for gear
 

The ADT V700 U796 M2 is very close in sound and offers a lot more in the way of options. I love both, but the ADT unit is out of this world.

It is clean even with with massive amounts of compression, but allows you to add harmonic distortion and a host of other things.
Old 3rd November 2014
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
In a sense yes, but the 8900 is much more transparent.
Dude it sounds different, nothing sounds like the GML, obviously, duh?
it is a home brew concoction. Im just saying, I would reach for the Crane Song, and have a lovely day. It might not be as transparent as the GML, but that doesn't matter to me. Woo fk/n Hoo.
as far as dynamics shaping goes, its very clean and surgical. I can mold the sound like clay. Hit the side-chain insert to control it more,

It is a Clean Dual Channel Compressor , Like the GML,
so in that sense....where a GML 8900 is not available or broken or whatever
...it is now unobtainable
and if I wanted to paint with a compressor and not a distortion, I would reach for the Crane Song.

Is the sense of which it makes?

Quote:
I just finished looking around for some info on the Crane Song and really didn't find much.


Not really sure why you can't find info. This thing has been around a long time.
Old 3rd November 2014
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Not really sure why you can't find info. This thing has been around a long time.
Yeah me either. I can find info about the Crane Song but no sound files. Not sure why someone that loves the units has not done a Youtube video showing it off and how it sounds. I have found a few of the GML8900 and there were some great ones a few months ago but most have been pulled down for some reason.


Has anyone heard at all if George is researching another manufacturer or if he is just calling a DONE as far as the GML line goes?
Old 3rd November 2014
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
The ADT V700 U796 M2 is very close in sound and offers a lot more in the way of options. I love both, but the ADT unit is out of this world.

It is clean even with with massive amounts of compression, but allows you to add harmonic distortion and a host of other things.
Thanks for the link. I wish they could at least post a picture of the unit and some sound files of it in action. Seems odd that they build nice large format consoles but don't put up an actual picture of the compressor. There is also no price shown. Looks like I would need to buy one of their own chassis to power the thing too?
Old 3rd November 2014
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
Thanks for the link. I wish they could at least post a picture of the unit and some sound files of it in action. Seems odd that they build nice large format consoles but don't put up an actual picture of the compressor. There is also no price shown. Looks like I would need to buy one of their own chassis to power the thing too?
I can post a (real) picture of mine but it looks just like the drawing.

Did GML put up sound files? Without knowing how the original file sounds how will a crappy MP3 file help you?
Anyway, it is a module and will require a frame and power supply to operate. This thing has to be heard and yes, it will do what the GML does and more.
Old 4th November 2014
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

I have no idea if GML ever put up sound files. I would think in todays marketplace any manufacturer could at least throw up a demo video showing an unprocessed file vs a processed one. Don't get me started on the whole MP3 thing!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump