The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avocet sitting unused: oxidized contacts?
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

Avocet sitting unused: oxidized contacts?

Yesterday is started to audition a pair of compact class-D amps to possibly replace the 20 year old NAD 208 workhorse. I switched on the Avocet, which had been sitting turned off for about 3 months for various reasons. First there were some slight crackling and slight changes of level on left channel. I naturally suspected the amps and switched them around, but the problem stayed on the left side. Pressing "mute" on and off on the Avocet caused also some static, something I had never noticed before. But: after hitting mute half a dozen times and turning the volume knob back and forth several times these problems disappeared.

So my question is: is it possible that the relay switches oxidize somewhat if not used and clean up after making contact a few times. Has anybody else noticed the same?
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
'Mechanical' devices such as switches, relays and pots are designed to 'self clean' BUT they do need to be exercised to make them do this.
You OUGHT to find that if you now use it regularly you should have no more problems. If you do have a problem then replacing the faulty part should be considered.
Matt S
Old 28th October 2014
Gear Addict

My Avocet is the somewhat the same, got this out of the classifieds here a few months ago.

The portion you use the most (off to -10) is totally fine, above that crackling and random noises on one side... the other perfect.

Guess this is just switching a resistor at each step via a relay.
Old 28th October 2014
Lives for gear

I guess I just have to get into habit of turning the volume control knob back and forth all the way a few times every time at startup, before releasing mute...
Old 28th October 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
That would be the 'free' solution and if repeated may well 'cure' it.
If it doesn't then it would be time to have it looked at properly.
Matt S

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search