The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who is using two Apogee Symphony I/Os? Digital Converters
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

Who is using two Apogee Symphony I/Os?

I recently ended up with a second Symp I/O as I needed to expand, so I have two. But I have 24 (16 card and 8 card) installed in one Symp and the other I am looking to sell.
However, I am having the fan kicking in sooner than usual and Apogee explained to me that this happens with 2 cards more frequently than one.
Can anyone else chime in on this and let me know what their thoughts are? The fan noise kicking in early does bother me a little but perhaps there is another solution I may be overlooking.

Thanks!
Old 26th October 2014
Gear Maniac
I noticed the fan noise go up after installing a second card. The Symphony has become louder than my computer, but I keep both in a silent rack in the control room, that works fine.

If I were you I'd keep the second chassis. This way you will have less noise from the individual units and have the advantage of being able to set up metering for all input channels. In fact I have been contemplating getting a second chassis just for this reason.
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

Looks like a horrible horrible design
Old 26th October 2014
Gear Maniac

The newer serials shipped from factory have the left side vent blocked up, essentially the vent modification done at factory, which increases air flow over the converters. Apparently, once the mod is done, these are less prone to fan noise.

But it would seem that even with this modification there is still more noise than with just one module installed.

If I had known about this issue earlier, I would have bought a Symphony with one higher I/O module to begin with. As it stands, I'm thinking about exactly what Mart suggests, spending a lot more money and getting a whole other chassis. Because I'm satisfied with the sound, but I do a lot of live tracking in various single rooms, and I like the metering and all connections nearby. I'm not sure whether noise from an added I/O module will be a problem or not - that I will get the same performance - and this is annoying.

Or what if you want AES but need 16x16 I/O? You have no options but 2 separate modules.

The conversion is great, but the whole appeal of the Symphony to me was its modular design, so I could expand as needed. There is no fan noise proviso in the advertising or product info, obviously.
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

Mart - Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, that makes sense for sure.

Would you know what a PC-32 Symphony cable is? Is it similar to Digilink? I see them on Ebay for $60.. and I need 2 of these. So that's another $120. Also need to BNC cables. So need to take into account another $150 of cables to sync up the units.

JS/Mart -
Yes, the Fan noise is not mentioned at all. It's a fairly significant problem for high end units such as these knowing people expand for a reason and they pay more money to do so. So naturally, I would think Apogee should have resolved this issue in some way. Both my units I have are fairly new (one purchased about a month ago, the other about a year ago), and this fan noise (yes as Mart mentioned, louder than my Mac Pro) happens in the new unit. It's a shame as the sound is fantastic to work with.

JS - yes, that makes sense for you to invest in a second chassis, but what I will do is try doing the set up of this to see if it actually works and keep you posted. Give me a few days and I will update you to see if that works. I also like the idea of '24 meters', which will also match my 24 channel analog console.
Old 26th October 2014
Gear Maniac
PC-32 Symphony == Digilink cable.

You can find these for about $25,- on eBay
Old 26th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
JS - yes, that makes sense for you to invest in a second chassis, but what I will do is try doing the set up of this to see if it actually works and keep you posted. Give me a few days and I will update you to see if that works. I also like the idea of '24 meters', which will also match my 24 channel analog console.
Thanks!

Maybe I will offset the cost by getting another 2x6 instead of another 8x8. An empty chassis (no longer available most places) is almost as much as the 2x6. Which is odd because the cost as bundled with any module is only 1000.

Right now I mix with outboard hardware inserts.
I would really need more outputs for this rather than equal inputs, if I combine with mixer or summing solution, which would be the ultimate idea.

10 inputs is plenty for me, I try to keep miking minimal, with better placement and careful drum tuning.

Are you using thunderbridge, which can accept 2x Symphonies? The best throughput and most elegant solution, of course with added cost.
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by js230 View Post

Are you using thunderbridge, which can accept 2x Symphonies? The best throughput and most elegant solution, of course with added cost.
No I am not using Thunderbridge as I have an older 2008 Mac Pro, however, when I get the whole computer system upgraded next year, I will get that option. So for now, I have to run the 2 Symps using 2xUSB ports..lol..

A singer (not a very technical one) asked me these questions...

1. So all these recordings you do through a high end Sony Mic, Neve preamp, compressor and then through console goes into the computer? I said yes.

2. So all that goes in through the little $2 USB cable?
I was scratching my head thinking it clearly makes no sense! lol
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

I'm running a 16 channel Symphony with a DA 16x.

Seemed like the best solution to me - no noise, no sound compromise anyone can hear. - everyone is happy.
Old 26th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post

2. So all that goes in through the little $2 USB cable?
I was scratching my head thinking it clearly makes no sense! lol
Yeah, using usb myself too, works fine at 88.2khz.

But think about how many millions of R&D went into that usb port and cable.

Perhaps a lot more than were required for the preamp, mic, and compressor all put together.
Old 26th October 2014
Gear Nut

Two cards in mine as well and it sounds like a jet engine taking off. To make matters worse there's a clearly identifiable pitch to the fan noise. It really needs it's own server room.

Thunderbridge is great. Only $500.
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

Yes mine is jet engine like too.
Since I have 24io in total, I had to get a symp64 pcie card for $1000 as well.
Now doing the math....
3k for 8io
4k for 16io
1k for 64pcie

So that's 8k for 24io, 4 rack spaces and a small jet engine.
Am I tripping or are there better options for 8k out there for 24io?
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

2 orions for 4000, 64io, 2U and no jets taking off
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
2 orions for 4000, 64io, 2U and no jets taking off
Orion is 2k each? I thought they are 3k each? So that's 6k. Still not 8k and jet engine.
Unsure about Antelope customer service but Apogee truly has been fantastic help. No denying 10/10 for customer service. Just the darn jet engine issue.
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P View Post
I'm running a 16 channel Symphony with a DA 16x.

Seemed like the best solution to me - no noise, no sound compromise anyone can hear. - everyone is happy.
just started my quest for 16x ad/da/Symphony thunderbridge
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

http://support.apogeedigital.com/hel...ng_64card.html
to connect AD16x series as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search