The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Vintage Preamps Still Sound Great Today Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 24th October 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Vintech is British? And vintage?

Classic API is vintage?
Hi Kafka,
no, sorry Vintech is not a British company, nor is it vintage, but it is modeled after a vintage, British design. For that reason, I felt it needed to stay in the British field to be fair to the country of origin that created the original design that we all so enjoy.

Classic API is again modeled after a classic design, and it seems to be an awesome deal for the quality people feel they are getting. So I put it in the under the radar field.

Sorry if that was confusing.

Hey Kafka,
Why don't you add your favorites to the list. I would love to know what they are.
Old 24th October 2014
Here for the gear

Keep the list growing guys! Feel free to copy and paste with your favorite pres. Please, include Vintage and Vintage recreations if the Vintage Recreations truly sound comparable.

Audix, Calrec, Glensound, Audio-Developments

Germany
Tube: TAB/Telefunken/Seimens/Neumann/WSW/RFZ V72, V72A, TAB V76, V78 V78M,
Solid State Transformer: TAB/Telefunken/Seimens/Neumann/WSW/RFZ/BFE V376, V476, V672(Sq Green Tranfo), V676, V276, V976, v275, PV76, MV1
Solid State Transformerless:
Best under the radar unit:

Switzerland
Tube:
Solid State Transformer:

Canada
Tube:
Solid State Transformer: Ward Beck

British: Trident A Range, Trident B Range, Helios (do not know much of these)
Tube: EMI, REDD Stramp tube mixers (designer Peter Struven was German),
Solid State Transformer: EMI, Neve 1073/1066/1081, Vintech X73/X81 (American recreation of Neve), Alice Stancoil/BBC Mixers, Glensound BBC mixers, Kelsey Mixers, Theatre Projects, Steven Gelf, Audix Consoles 35102, Calrec PQ/10/12/15/1161, Vortexion

American
Tube: RCA OP-6, BA-6A, Western Electric, Altec Lansing 458, Electrodyne 201, Cinema Engineering, Langevin
Solid State Transformer: Harrison, API 312/512 Langevin AM-16, Hardy M1, Electrodyne M100, Quad-Eight (Electrodyne), Westar (Electrodyne), SSL 4000 G Plus console
Solid State Transformerless: Millennia (Modern), Grace Desgins, Earthworks
Best under the radar unit: Telex, Classic API

Japanese
Tube
Solid State Transformer: PM 1000
Solid State Transformerless
Best under the radar unit

What about Korea and other countries anything good out there for Professional use? I do not want to leave anyone out.

Last edited by SeekerOfTone; 24th October 2014 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerOfTone View Post
Keep the list growing guys! Feel free to copy and paste with your favorite pres. Please, include Vintage and Vintage recreations if the Vintage Recreations truly sound comparable.

I would not include modern remakes in the list. To be honest, I had a very nice $$$ Neve clone, it did not fare well against the original. IMHO, the transformers are where the magic is in those old units. Unless your using the original transformers, your using something different.

FWIW, a Neve 1066 and a V72 have yet to be beat here.

So you don't think I am a snob, one of my favorite preamps is the AEA TRP (discrete transformerless), great for tube mics. However, it is a very different sound from the Neve (SS Transformer), which is very different than the v72 (tube). In true GS fashion, one must have all 3.
Old 24th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
Why in the heck did Retro put the mains plug on the front, right above the output XLR?!
Swiss: Sonosax
Well that's where the mains plug was originally, where the lights are on the right there were three thumb screw terminals.
Where the output XLR is on the retro the RCA had the monitor out 1/4 Jack.
It's the old convention for all pro equipment in laboratories, studios etc.
Only recently was it thought a good idea, not to be able to just sit it on its back and to have to take the unit out of a rack to make connections to it.
Must be like babies or something? no longer lying on ther backs I suppose.:-)
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear

This list is pointless you need a database or else its going to be unreadable
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear

What is the point of this thread? I'm often baffled by some of the threads here in the High end forum.
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear

UK:
Audix 351102
Calrec PQ/10/12/15/1161

Vortexion are still cheap on ebay... oops there I said it.. watch em prices soar!
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
yeah we've all chased the holy grail but as they say amazing performance trumps gear any day of the week….
People should stop doing this.
Old 24th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
UK:
Audix 351102
Calrec PQ/10/12/15/1161

Vortexion are still cheap on ebay... oops there I said it.. watch em prices soar!
Damn I was planning on getting enough old Vortexion mono 4 channel mixers together to beat my mate Tom Donovans Analouge addicts custom built 16 channel all tube stereo summing mixer.
http://www.analogue-addicts.co.uk

More Brit gear to water down the Vortexion intelligence blunder.:-)
Alice BBC mixers, Solid State transformer.
Glensound BBC mixers, Solid State transformer.
Kelsey Mixers, Solid State Transformer.
Theatre Projects, Solid State Transformer.
Steven Gelf, Solid State Transformer.
Stramp tube mixers built in England but the designer Peter Struven was German.
Old 24th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
yeah we've all chased the holy grail but as they say amazing performance trumps gear any day of the week….
Well the Chief was performing his moccasins off but the Edison recorder still sucked the fecking life out of it.:-)
Sound recording and reproduction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A mans got to know his vintage limitations.:-)
Old 24th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
That was my joke but heh.
Old 24th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hi Kafka,
no, sorry Vintech is not a British company, nor is it vintage, but it is modeled after a vintage, British design. For that reason, I felt it needed to stay in the British field to be fair to the country of origin that created the original design that we all so enjoy.

Classic API is again modeled after a classic design, and it seems to be an awesome deal for the quality people feel they are getting. So I put it in the under the radar field.

Sorry if that was confusing.

Hey Kafka,
Why don't you add your favorites to the list. I would love to know what they are.
I would, but I don't use any vintage preamps. Also, since you're not actually sticking to vintage gear, I see even less point to this list than I originally did, which wasn't a whole lot. If you just want a list of preamps, regardless of when they were made, you can start by looking them up in the Sweetwater catalog.

Besides, Rupert Neve lives in Texas, and I'd guess that a plurality of the famous recordings made on a Trident A range were recorded at Cherokee. So what's so British about that?
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

I think it would be better as a long magazine article or book, with interviews with the designers on how their designs borrow form the historical precedents. Like is Fearn an RCA derivative? I always thought so, but even the description on the website is not 100% clear <history> You could get Daking to talk about Trident, Chandler to talk about EMI and Neve, and the list is endless, but it would be interesting to hear the designer's thoughts on what attracted them to the original, and what model it is derived from, and the changes that were made. A lot of this is already available as marketing materials, like from Wunder, but it would be cool to gather it all together in long webzine article. The again, people might not want to fess up to what they cloned, for various legal reasons. Then again, it might show you the space that is available where nobody is cloning a classic vintage preamp design. Like I have never heard of a Studer clone.
Old 25th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
I'm guessing you have Lame in your username for a valid reason.
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
What about Korea and other countries anything good out there for Professional use? I do not want to leave anyone out.

North Korean Transformerless is all I'll use.
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

Way old tube UA and tube Telefunkens do it for me.
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

Under American tube pre-amps (and yes a lot of these were sold as individual tube pre-amps and you had to build your own console) I would say, Western Electric, Cinema Engineering, RCA, Langevin and Electrodyne.

I had James Demeter's 3rd tube pre and that is really a hybrid tube & solid state design but still a great sounding pre.
Old 28th October 2014
Here for the gear

Updated List: Thanks to all contributers. Anyone want to make it a database?

Germany
Tube: TAB/Telefunken/Seimens/Neumann/WSW/RFZ V72, V72A, TAB V76, V78 V78M,
Solid State Transformer: TAB/Telefunken/Seimens/Neumann/WSW/RFZ/BFE V376, V476, V672(Sq Green Tranfo), V676, V276, V976, v275, PV76, MV1

Switzerland
Tube:
Solid State Transformer:

Canada
Tube:
Solid State Transformer: Ward Beck

British: Trident A Range, Trident B Range, Helios (do not know much of these)
Tube: EMI, REDD Stramp tube mixers (designer Peter Struven was German),
Solid State Transformer: EMI, Neve 1073/1066/1081, Vintech X73/X81 (American recreation of Neve), Alice Stancoil/BBC Mixers, Glensound BBC mixers, Kelsey Mixers, Theatre Projects, Steven Gelf, Audix Consoles 35102, Calrec PQ/10/12/15/1161, Audio-Developments, Vortexion

American
Tube: RCA OP-6, BA-6A, Western Electric, Altec Lansing 458, Electrodyne 201, Cinema Engineering, Langevin
Solid State Transformer: Harrison, API 312/512 Langevin AM-16, Hardy M1, Electrodyne M100, Quad-Eight (Electrodyne), Westar (Electrodyne), SSL 4000 G Plus console
Solid State Transformerless: Millennia (Modern), Grace Desgins, Earthworks
Best under the radar unit: Telex, Classic API

Japanese
Tube
Solid State Transformer: PM 1000
Solid State Transformerless
Best under the radar unit

Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Updated List: Thanks to all contributers. Anyone want to make it a database?
Why not just make a list of every old amp ever made...because that's exactly where this thread is headed anyway.
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

Eactly and this list is about .5% of it
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search