The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Seeking Vintage RCA Console Information
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Seeking Vintage RCA Console Information

I am looking at obtaining any information relating to a vintage RCA designed console I have, which I am trying to document the history for as well as component history. I would appreciate it if you know of any information and can chime in.

It's an RCA made console, built in 1970 according to former RCA-Victor Engineer Bill Vandervoot by RCA NYC (possibly designed by input from Les Paul and Chet Atkins), one of 3 or 4 made. It is 24:16, built like a tank, weighs approximately 1 ton, along with Melcor Eqs/Limiters. I understand that one of these replaced the original Bill Porter 3 channel at Studio B, possibly Elvis tracked his 1970-72 work on it, but since then there has not been a lot of documented history on these pieces, especially post API. On I have seen interviews with former API Paul Wolff regarding the whole Melcor-API relationship.

Paul Wolff: "A few people left Melcor and started API with some others. The original 2520 was "stolen" from Melcor, but the guy who designed it was one of the ones who left. Many early API and Melcor op-amps have an RCA sticker on them, as that is what they were. Melcor never went anywhere after that, but the basic theory behind the amps and eqs were very similar early on. Many people get Melcor and MAP (Modular Audio Products) mixed up. MAP had a clone 550 and other stuff with an IC/trans op-amp that was marginal at best."

There is currently one that is stripped back at the historical RCA studio B (CMHOF). I can tell you directly that it sounds killer, more API and a little Neve.

There is also a stripped back version at CMHOF Nashville RCA Studio B: RCA Studio B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pics attached of console sections, console at my studio and console with Chet Atkins.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Seeking Vintage RCA Console Information-rca_console_pics.jpg   Seeking Vintage RCA Console Information-console_2.1.jpg  
Old 22nd October 2014
nice!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search