The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME AES + Rosetta 800 + Prism Orpheus Audio Interfaces
Old 21st October 2014
Here for the gear

RME AES + Rosetta 800 + Prism Orpheus

I have a RME AES pci card connected to my Rosetta 800. I also have a prism sound orpheus connected via firewire, I am wondering if there is any way or advantage to connecting all 3 of them up together as a single functioning setup, or if I should sell the AES card and the Rosetta and just keep the Orpheus. If anyone has any advice on this setup I would appreciate your thoughts.
Old 21st October 2014
Lives for gear

I don't know. Since the RME requires dsub AES, its tough. I would use the Orpheus over firewire to the computer and hook the Rosetta up using ADAT to give yourself another 8 channels of IO.
Old 21st October 2014
You are better off selling the RME AES and using the Prism with the Apogee attached via Optical ADAT. OR you could get an RME ADAT Card and run the Prism as standalone along side the Apogee. Then just have the Prism's Firewire connected for control.
Old 21st October 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
I don't know. Since the RME requires dsub AES, its tough. I would use the Orpheus over firewire to the computer and hook the Rosetta up using ADAT to give yourself another 8 channels of IO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
You are better off selling the RME AES and using the Prism with the Apogee attached via Optical ADAT. OR you could get an RME ADAT Card and run the Prism as standalone along side the Apogee. Then just have the Prism's Firewire connected for control.
Thanks for your input Slug1 and Doc Mixwell

Disregarding the RME RayDAT and keeping FW in mind using the Prism with the Apogee attached via Optical ADAT

would that mean that what ever is recorded or sent through the rosetta's channels will be different to what is recorded/played straight through the orpheus .... if that makes sense? in other words, would it be like having a rosetta and an orpheus (both seperate in conversion and character) but both over the single firewire inteface, or would it be like having one orpheus 16 I/O. Would the Orpheus Conversion "supersede or improve" the Rosetta... or would it just "mirror" what it gets from the rosetta.... (going back to being 2 seperate converters scenario)....

Its quite hard to explain/understand for me. I'm not too clued up when it comes to these types of interconnections... making my head spin lol!
Old 21st October 2014
They will sound different from each other, but it will expand the I/O capabilities to 16 channels of Analog I/O via the Firewire Drivers of the Prism.
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Yes they will sound different for sure. Are you doing more ITB soft synth EDM style music or more recording full bands? But lets say you have full drums mic'd up, bass, guitars, keyboards, and vocals. You could record the whole band. And yes the ADC will be a bit different but you could run drums and vocals through Orpheus and all other through Apogee and monitor through Orpheus. But you could use the Apogee outputs for some of the foldback monitoring for the band.
Old 22nd October 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
They will sound different from each other, but it will expand the I/O capabilities to 16 channels of Analog I/O via the Firewire Drivers of the Prism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Yes they will sound different for sure. Are you doing more ITB soft synth EDM style music or more recording full bands? But lets say you have full drums mic'd up, bass, guitars, keyboards, and vocals. You could record the whole band. And yes the ADC will be a bit different but you could run drums and vocals through Orpheus and all other through Apogee and monitor through Orpheus. But you could use the Apogee outputs for some of the foldback monitoring for the band.
I really appreciate your input guys, that clears things up for me.

With ADAT i would then be limited to 48Khz Sample rate then right?

I do most of my mixing ITB, I do a lot of producing EDM stuff with softsynth/hardware synth/outboard procecessing, but I also do a lot of band recording and mixing (more like processing) through my outboard gear (compression/eq etc.) as well as mastering, again more processing though outboard gear, everything is mixed ITB but with outboard processing - I don't have a shiny SSL! ..... YET! :P

although I rarely find a scenario where the whole band would be tracked all playing live together or simultaneously, I do appreciate the advantage and efficiency of this.... but thanks to your inputs, I think Ive narrowed it down to the decision that it would probably be a better idea to sell the AES card and the Rosetta and get another Orpheus, for the additional I/O - I think with the Orpheus being clean and transparent and the arguably better converter, it would be best to keep my conversion clean and transparent while coloring with bits and pieces of my outboard gear.... Incase you are wondering, I bought the Orpheus after the other two! but I loved the AES-Converter setup, wish theOrpheus had a D-Sub AES connection, or at least an expansion option.

Appreciate it, thank you!
Old 22nd October 2014
Here are the specifications of the Prism unit;

Quote:
DIGITAL INPUTS
Formats supported S/PDIF (RCA or TOSLINK), ADAT, ADAT S/MUX (TOSLINK)
Sample rates supported S/PDIF (2 channel): 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192kHz
ADAT (8 channel) 44.1 and 48kHz
ADAT S/MUX (4 channel): 88.2 and 96kHz
Channel Status ignored
Word-length 24 bit
AES3 operation via S/PDIF RCA, using RCA-XLR adaptor (supplied)
Sample-rate converter (SRC) Selectable at S/PDIF input; allowing input at any sample rate
Bit transparency Maintained (allows recording of Dolby or DTS streams)

DIGITAL OUTPUTS
Formats supported S/PDIF (RCA or TOSLINK), ADAT, ADAT S/MUX (TOSLINK)
Sample rates supported S/PDIF (2 channel): 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192kHz
ADAT (8 channel) 44.1 and 48kHz
ADAT S/MUX (4 channel): 88.2 and 96kHz
Channel Status Full implementation, Consumer (S/PDIF) or professional (AES3)
Word-length 24 bit, or reduction to 16 bits using flat TPDF dither or Prism Sound SNS (Super Noise Shaping - four alternative shapes available)
AES3 operation via S/PDIF RCA, using RCA-XLR adaptor (supplied)
Sample-rate converter (SRC) Selectable at S/PDIF output; output rate can be referenced to Wordclock, DI or local clock at 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 or 192kHz
Bit transparency Maintained in 24 bit mode (allows playback of Dolby or DTS streams to external decode

Yes the Rosetta will also do SMUX, which haves the channels
Old 22nd October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
A small word of advice: I tested the Orpheus connected to a RayDAT through ADAT. In theory it works fine but the Orpheus doesn't automatically switch sample rates based on the incoming ADAT signal so as Adam suggests you need to keep the Orpheus connected through FireWire for control purposes.

That is also fine in theory but, at least on Windows, it affects performance. If I set the latency of the Orpheus really low like the lowest setting, it causes audio crackling and increases CPU load even though no audio is passing through the FireWire port. Leaving the buffers low on the Orpheus but disconnecting the FireWire cable stopped the crackling and reduced CPU load. Unfortunately in my case I need to switch between 44.1 and 48 KHz often so I returned the RayDAT.

Alistair
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_logue View Post
I really appreciate your input guys, that clears things up for me.

With ADAT i would then be limited to 48Khz Sample rate then right?

I do most of my mixing ITB, I do a lot of producing EDM stuff with softsynth/hardware synth/outboard procecessing, but I also do a lot of band recording and mixing (more like processing) through my outboard gear (compression/eq etc.) as well as mastering, again more processing though outboard gear, everything is mixed ITB but with outboard processing - I don't have a shiny SSL! ..... YET! :P

although I rarely find a scenario where the whole band would be tracked all playing live together or simultaneously, I do appreciate the advantage and efficiency of this.... but thanks to your inputs, I think Ive narrowed it down to the decision that it would probably be a better idea to sell the AES card and the Rosetta and get another Orpheus, for the additional I/O - I think with the Orpheus being clean and transparent and the arguably better converter, it would be best to keep my conversion clean and transparent while coloring with bits and pieces of my outboard gear.... Incase you are wondering, I bought the Orpheus after the other two! but I loved the AES-Converter setup, wish theOrpheus had a D-Sub AES connection, or at least an expansion option.

Appreciate it, thank you!
Great decision. Prism conversion is amazing! Have fun.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search