The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
should i sell my harrison console for a raindirk symphony LN2?
Old 21st October 2014
Gear Addict
should i sell my harrison console for a raindirk symphony LN2?

while looking for a patchbay i came across this 40 channel RAINDIRK SYMPHONY LN2 console with flying fader automation ...

i am actually sooo tired of all the maintainance problems with the harrison. i have a 32 channel frame (rev A, black dbx vcas) with 25 channels in there of which most of the time only half is working 100%. rest is working only on monitor pots or with other problems.

i read that the raindirk is a very reliable desk with great mic pres, eqs and it has a flying fader automation. plus it has 40 channels. more aux, subgroups ...

the mic pres on the harrison arent too impressive, the eqs are cool though i never understood the love for the filters (way to steep for my taste, at least the HPF) ... question is what am i loosing?

i could get my tech guy in to fix the desk for maybe 500 - 700 euros and it would be fully working - what do u think i could get for it?

really - u cant imagine how many times i sat there, frustrated, banging on some parts of the harrison hoping the sound/channel would come back ...
Old 21st October 2014
Lives for gear

Hi: Is the automation actual "Flying Faders" or another moving fader system? Raindirks are supposed to be really good consoles, though.
Old 21st October 2014
Gear Addict
It says 'uptown flying fader automation'
Old 21st October 2014
dkr
Gear Maniac

Here is a demo video of the uptown flying faders:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T5t8ceBeWfY
Old 21st October 2014
Gear Nut

I usually work with a LN3 and is a great sounding console. Really good preamps. The sound is BIG, clean and plenty of headroom. Not in the Neve or Trident vein, but if we need something with more character we'll use external preamps like 1272, Auroras or any other... For mixing tasks is great too. Clean, punchy and provides a good stereo image.
Raindirks are well know for his low power consumption and the maintenance is easy and not very expensive since don't use any "exoteric" components. The designer Cyril Jones is still in active and he can service his consoles.
Old 21st October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. harrison View Post
It says 'uptown flying fader automation'
System 2000 was Uptown's best automation. Not sure if it's still supported though. Desk looks great! Go for it.
Old 24th October 2014
Gear Addict
some more opinions maybe? i have never really mixed on other consoles so i dont really know how big the influence of the console itself is or what i might be losing/gaining ...
Old 25th October 2014
Gear Guru

I seem to remember years ago that someone in Europe posted a control room pic with a Randirk, and a lot of stone on the front wall. I believe Slipperman spoke very highly of the console. He's a picky guy who owns a 9098i, so...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search