The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor Controller for A/B Switching from Console out Monitor Controllers
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Monitor Controller for A/B Switching from Console out

I am looking for a monitor controller to go back and forth between KRK VXT8 and NS10s.
My issue is that I have a 24 Analog console which has an amazing sound and when I tried Dangerous Source, it actually made the sound almost compressed sounding and attenuated it. A dealer suggested the high end such as Grace M905 and Crane Song Avocet. However, I don't need nearly half the features on those. I am also thinking 'passive' is the way to go.
Could anyone suggest something that may work for this purpose? anyone who has had a similar issue?
Old 20th October 2014
Gear Nut

Pro Co switch witch

Pro Co Switch Witch | Sweetwater.com
Old 20th October 2014
Coleman Audio do a nice passive unit.
Old 20th October 2014
Deleted User
This is the one :

Products
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Wow that Nos looks great too. Thanks everyone. Dumb question: XLR vs TRS for monitoring.. Does it make a difference at all?
Old 20th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Wow that Nos looks great too. Thanks everyone. Dumb question: XLR vs TRS for monitoring.. Does it make a difference at all?
No difference from a technical perspective. Both are balanced.
Old 21st October 2014
Lives for gear

I've got a Kush Audio UBK Gain Train for sale in the classifieds that is well worth your consideration.

Best,
Chris
Old 21st October 2014
Coleman Audio M3PH mk2 is good one,

great features,
stepped attenuator that tracks stereo like a laser beam,
nice headphone amp, drives all my cans pretty well,
three speaker outputs [one can be setup as a fixed output, for metering, or headphone amp or other]
four stereo inputs,
Left Right Mute controls
Mono
Phase Flip

All XLR connectors, passive signal path
$975
Old 21st October 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks all. As mentioned in the original post, all I am looking for is to switch between 2 or 3 speakers and possibly a volume control. Not necessarily anything else at this stage.
Also, something that is passive and is not going to color the sound. At this stage the LS3, Switch Witch seem great options along with NOS McOne. Just looking to find out if they diminish or degrade the sound in anyway. Could anyone chime in here?
Old 22nd October 2014
Gear Maniac
SA2X-O
Goldpoint SA2X Level Controls / Passive Preamps

probably the ultimate solution, but pricey
Old 22nd October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks all. As mentioned in the original post, all I am looking for is to switch between 2 or 3 speakers and possibly a volume control. Not necessarily anything else at this stage.
Also, something that is passive and is not going to color the sound. At this stage the LS3, Switch Witch seem great options along with NOS McOne. Just looking to find out if they diminish or degrade the sound in anyway. Could anyone chime in here?
I love my McOne and feel no degradation to disturb me in any way. I had a Coleman LS-3 before it, which was also fine, but lacked the features I needed.

I would say go for the NOS. Also feels solid (good quality pots) and stays balanced all the way down the volume dial. None of that cheap lark where at the end of the pot it starts panning.
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
SA2X-O
Goldpoint SA2X Level Controls / Passive Preamps

probably the ultimate solution, but pricey

before I got the Avocet, I used the Goldpoint SA2X-O which I can highly recommend if you don't need more than 2 ins and 4 outs...
Old 22nd October 2014
Gear Head
I can absolutely recommend the Drawmer MC 2.1! Very decent and well equipped featurewise.

Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.!!
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

By the way, if Budget is not an issue, but what I want is a 2-3 speaker output piece with master volume control and possibly a mono switch.
What i don't want is something that is going to lower the existing volume level or coloring of any sort. What would be your suggestions of the above or anything else?
Switch Witch, McOne, Dramar, Coleman etc?
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

I like the Coleman units. They are high quality and offer a wide range of products with more or less functions so you don't need to pay for stuff you're not gonna need.

How are you gonna integrate it with your console?

Taking a feed from your monitor output to the controller? Taking the signal from the master output (and maybe lose solo functions)?
Old 25th October 2014
Gear Addict

Mackie bigknob
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

Hi Joao

Thanks. Yes, Coleman is certainly an option.
Basically, to either of the following:
1. As you said, monitor output to controller, then monitors. One is KRK with Sub and other is NS10s.
2. By running the console mix signal into DAW and then sending stereo mix signal separately from my DA so I don't get anymore console color than what I am mixing.
What are your thoughts?
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Joao

Thanks. Yes, Coleman is certainly an option.
Basically, to either of the following:
1. As you said, monitor output to controller, then monitors. One is KRK with Sub and other is NS10s.
2. By running the console mix signal into DAW and then sending stereo mix signal separately from my DA so I don't get anymore console color than what I am mixing.
What are your thoughts?
Personally I wouldn't want to monitor through a AD/DA loop (and since I work with tape a lot, sometimes the DAW isn't even turned on). Something about getting an unnecessary conversion in the monitor chain all the time doesn't make sense to me.

That being said, it makes sense to monitor what you're DA converters are doing to the mix bus - if you're printing your mix to the DAW - but in that case I'd just plug the DAW output to another input pair of the monitor controller.

I've worked with the first option for a while - console monitor output to monitor controler, but in that case your "coloring" the signal with the console monitor bus anyway.

I'm guessing master bus output to monitor controller would be the best choice but then you would lose solo ability (at least I would in my console).

This how I do my monitoring:

Console monitor output to main pair of speakers (so I can solo stuff, mute L or R, dim with the console TB, etc, etc).

Console secondary monitor section output (originally built to feed the recording room) wired to a monitor controller where I can choose 2 other speaker systems or send whatever bus is selected to the recording room speakers.

I've been thinking about getting a new monitor controller that would allow me to do everything with one box (3 pairs of speakers, multiple source inputs, send TB to different rooms, etc) but I haven't found anything perfect yet. Also, I would lose the solo ability if I were to connect it to the master output, and like I said previously, to me there's something weird about connecting your console monitor out to the controller. I might be wrong, but seems to defeat the purpose of a console monitor section upgrade.

Very curious to hear what other people have to say about this subject.
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

bump for some thoughts or decisions.. still confused as there are many options to play with here
I am also thinking ergonomics here. Coleman also has the rack version which looks great.
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

Anything by Coleman, NOS, Crane Song, or Grace will be fine. The Drawmer unit is worth a look, but even though it's batting above its league, it may still be notably off the others (haven't A/Bed them myself).
Old 27th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
bump for some thoughts or decisions.. still confused as there are many options to play with here
I am also thinking ergonomics here. Coleman also has the rack version which looks great.
My NOS has the three inputs taken up by a) console monitor output, b) a pair of inputs from the patch bay normalised under the mix output from the console and c) an old CD player.

The three output pairs go to two pairs of monitors and a headphone amp.

This way I can listen to whatever I like on whatever I like, if I patch the patch bay input from wherever/can listen through converters or whatever.
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
My NOS has the three inputs taken up by a) console monitor output, b) a pair of inputs from the patch bay normalised under the mix output from the console and c) an old CD player.

The three output pairs go to two pairs of monitors and a headphone amp.

This way I can listen to whatever I like on whatever I like, if I patch the patch bay input from wherever/can listen through converters or whatever.
Do you notice any difference in the sound coming from input a) and input b)?

Assuming the console monitor pot is all the way up (0 attenuation), does the monitor section color the sound in any way?

What console do you have?
Old 27th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
Do you notice any difference in the sound coming from input a) and input b)?

Assuming the console monitor pot is all the way up (0 attenuation), does the monitor section color the sound in any way?

What console do you have?
I can't detect any wrongness coloration wise, seems pretty straight wire ( the NOS that is, the Raindirk is coloured indeed). The pot also is a good one, i.e. it stays balanced left right all the way down.

My console is a Raindirk Concord.
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I can't detect any wrongness coloration wise, seems pretty straight wire ( the NOS that is, the Raindirk is coloured indeed). The pot also is a good one, i.e. it stays balanced left right all the way down.

My console is a Raindirk Concord.
Nice!

This seems the way the OP should go.

Did you A/B the NOS with the console monitor out straight to the speakers?

I assume that the McOne it's pretty neutral, even if it's a passive design.
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

Oops, I read you post too fast.

So you're saying the Raindirk colours the signal (as expected), so you usually monitor through the NOS input b), and just use input a) to check soloed channels?
Old 27th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
Oops, I read you post too fast.

So you're saying the Raindirk colours the signal (as expected), so you usually monitor through the NOS input b), and just use input a) to check soloed channels?
To be honest I don't use the Raindirk much now, but when I did it would be Raindirk monitor out into NOS a, while building mix and switch to Raindirk mix out (on patch bay) into converter/ out of converter into NOS input b when getting towards the end. Solo'd channels?
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

When you press the solo button on a channel of your console, does it mute the other channels on the mix bus or just the monitor bus?
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

hi
The console is the twin sister to the one on the top picture.
RCA Studio B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it technically does not have a 'solo' button but is 24 channel/16 buss.

Yes the NOS McOne seem like the better options of the lot.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search