The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AMS Neve 1073N vs 1073LB vs 1073 DPA Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Head

AMS Neve 1073N vs 1073LB vs 1073 DPA

I have done comparisons between the Neve 1073 LB and the 1073 DPA, and in pretty much every case I gave a slight edge to the DPA...

I have not yet had a chance to try the new 1073N but someone told me that its essentially the exact same circuitry as the LB, just in a different box...

Can anyone speak to whether or not this is true? I know they both use SMD components, but then again so does the DPA.

Im curious how the 1073N compares to both the DPA and/or the LB sonically?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Head

If anyone has experience with both the 1073N and the AMS 1073 CV, your observations would also be very helpful, thank you!
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Maniac

I only have the 1073LB but I can say it is an excellent pre. I have the 88rlb and api512 as well, but the 1073 has something special about it and sounds great on all sources.
Old 7th June 2016
Gear Nut

A pity there wasn't more replies to this. I am very interested in this myself. Specifically how the LB compares to the N and does the N sound like the CV?

It's all rather confusing
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

^ Just go straight for the new Neve 1073 DPX (dual rack pre/EQ). That should clear up all the version confusion!

Old 7th June 2016
Deleted User
Yeah if you're spending this kind of good money, just get the real thing, no sense in cheaping out on 500 series power supplies and what not.
Old 26th June 2016
Gear Nut

Following on from my last post.. I since then went ahead and bought the 1073N. I already owned the 1073lb. It seemed a little risky as I had read other posts suggesting the N is pretty much the same as the lb and I didn't really want to buy the same thing twice. But I got offered a new N at a 2nd hand price, so I figured I could always sell it and get back what I paid. So I went ahead with the 1073N purchase.

I'm happy to report that they do not sound exactly the same. They are similar in character, close even (in some ways). But I definitely prefer the 1073N. It is much thicker in the low mids and lows and to me more detailed. Actually the lows are massive on it. I prefer the tops as well. I can hear more nuances and more detail with the N version. I would choose the N out of the two in a listening test. Having said that, the lb is still very good and I'm glad I have it as well. I should also mention I have the 1073LBEQ as well and it is in link mode to the 1073lb.
The EQ on the 1073N is stunning. Even just a tiny amount applied makes a large difference.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase and I feel like I have reached 'that sound' that I always hear and have always wanted.

I am using the N with the power supply included (not racked). I have read reports that claim the 1073N sounds even better when racked? I really wonder if this is true? Perhaps power supplies really do make the difference after all ( I have read a bit of debate about if this is true on this forum).
Old 26th June 2016
I have an lb and EQ in link mode as well. Sounds like a 1073 ( I also have a vintage tacked 1073 ).

Honestly, save some dough and buy a BAE. I personally like them better than my vintage unit.
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Nut

Agreed. The 1073lb with EQ linked does sound like a 1073 generally.

I have the 1073N (now racked in a Heritage 2 Rack ). I also have a Heritage Audio 6673, a 1073LB + EQ, and a BAE 1073MPF.

I did several tests with the 1073N using power supply provided vs. Heritage rack 2 power supply. I prefer it using the Heritage rack. I listened a lot to the 2 power supply options.

My favourite (at the moment - and for the last 6 months ) is the Heritage 6673 for most tasks.
The Neve 1073N and Heritage 6673 are very close. The Neve seems just a bit thicker in the lows and mids maybe. Heritage is crystal clear in the uppers and tops. Beautiful on vocals. Neve is also beautiful on vocals, between the two I can usually find the right pre for different vocalists. I'm glad I did not have to choose between the two!
The 1073lb is also amazing on vocals. Very clear and detailed, but not the headroom or quite the fullness of the previously mentioned pres (to my ears anyway). If a person is only working with 500 series pres then I would recommend the 1073lb. It changed my sound in really a good way when I first purchased it.

Having said that, there are little things that annoy me about AMS Neve's designs. Silly little things, like no clickalbe notch at 0 on the Eq's, and the short power cable with heavy power supply that cannot suspended in mid air (due to the weight - so WHY the short cable??) on the 8816 summing mixer. Simple little design things that are rather irritating (especially for the money you pay!)

The BAE 1073mpf was my first 1073 purchase and has been my least favourite. I have also had several technical issues with it, one example is the DI has failed on one channel after hardly ever being used ( sounds like a wiring issue ). Overall, not happy with this unit. It sounds ok. Full in the bottom, but not Neve or Heritage in the tops at all - not as good. I only use it on drums these days. Many will disagree, I know there are lots who love them.

Anyway just thought I'd share some thoughts as there is not a whole lot comparing all these units on the forum ( I searched extensively before buying) so hopefully that might help other people who are deciding.

Cheers.
Old 18th May 2017
Hey guys,
I got my AMS Neve 1073LB yesterday. The trimpot is a little bit loose. There's a little bit of play (can you say that in english? I'm not a native speaker).
The guy from Thomann says that that's normal.
Is the knob on yours really fixed or is it losse?

Thanks,
Matze.

Last edited by Docmaklang; 18th May 2017 at 02:49 PM..
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmaklang View Post
Hey guys,
I got my AMS Neve 1073LB yesterday. The trimpot is a little bit loose. There's a little bit of play (can you say that in english? I'm not a native speaker).

Thanks,
Matze.
I have a pair of the 1073LBEQs and the knobs are a little loose but accurate and sensitive to small changes so I am good. I already had a Portico 5012 (Neveish) and so pair these with the LBEQs. Really happy with the sound.
Old 7th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendale View Post
I only have the 1073LB but I can say it is an excellent pre. I have the 88rlb and api512 as well, but the 1073 has something special about it and sounds great on all sources.
How does the 88rlb compare to the 1073lb?
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Maniac

The 88 RLb is very similar to the 1073 but a bit cleaner. I think it's a better all-around Pre. It sounded good on everything whereas the 1073 was good on some stuff but a bit too heavy handed on others . It's a sweet sounding pre, I got one for sale too by the way .
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by username300 View Post
Agreed. The 1073lb with EQ linked does sound like a 1073 generally.

I have the 1073N (now racked in a Heritage 2 Rack ). I also have a Heritage Audio 6673, a 1073LB + EQ, and a BAE 1073MPF.

I did several tests with the 1073N using power supply provided vs. Heritage rack 2 power supply. I prefer it using the Heritage rack. I listened a lot to the 2 power supply options.

My favourite (at the moment - and for the last 6 months ) is the Heritage 6673 for most tasks.
The Neve 1073N and Heritage 6673 are very close. The Neve seems just a bit thicker in the lows and mids maybe. Heritage is crystal clear in the uppers and tops. Beautiful on vocals. Neve is also beautiful on vocals, between the two I can usually find the right pre for different vocalists. I'm glad I did not have to choose between the two!
The 1073lb is also amazing on vocals. Very clear and detailed, but not the headroom or quite the fullness of the previously mentioned pres (to my ears anyway). If a person is only working with 500 series pres then I would recommend the 1073lb. It changed my sound in really a good way when I first purchased it.

Having said that, there are little things that annoy me about AMS Neve's designs. Silly little things, like no clickalbe notch at 0 on the Eq's, and the short power cable with heavy power supply that cannot suspended in mid air (due to the weight - so WHY the short cable??) on the 8816 summing mixer. Simple little design things that are rather irritating (especially for the money you pay!)

The BAE 1073mpf was my first 1073 purchase and has been my least favourite. I have also had several technical issues with it, one example is the DI has failed on one channel after hardly ever being used ( sounds like a wiring issue ). Overall, not happy with this unit. It sounds ok. Full in the bottom, but not Neve or Heritage in the tops at all - not as good. I only use it on drums these days. Many will disagree, I know there are lots who love them.

Anyway just thought I'd share some thoughts as there is not a whole lot comparing all these units on the forum ( I searched extensively before buying) so hopefully that might help other people who are deciding.

Cheers.
Other than the technical issues. You preferred the top end of the Neve/Heritage ? how were the low end among all 3 units ?
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Other than the technical issues. You preferred the top end of the Neve/Heritage ? how were the low end among all 3 units ?
Hi,
Yes in terms of sound alone - I personally prefer the Heritage and Neve to BAE. BAE just does not do it for me. Nowhere near the clarity in tops and uppers. I think Heritage is my favourite.
In terms of lows, I would be thinking Neve instead of BAE. BAE certainly has thick lows, but it's not worth it for what I lose in the tops with BAE.
BAE just sounds different to me, like just not in the same league as the other two. Please note though, I have a BAE 1073 dual MPF.. it is not a 1073 module with EQ etc. So perhaps the comparison does not directly apply. But in terms of the mic pre alone without EQ applied, I still do not prefer BAE. Infact, I will not be buying BAE again. But they work well for plenty of people as said previously.

My pick is Heritage 6673, closely followed by Neve 1073N. Then the AMS 1073lb.
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmaklang View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Matze.
Hi,
Loose is not a word that comes to mind when I think of these pots. They use the same ones on all the AMS stuff. But I would not call them hard to turn either.

Hope that helps.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

I've used all of the above myself. And despite the hyperbole you should be able to get great results out of any of them.

The Neve 1073DPA sounds a little bigger than the 1073N imho. I am surprised to hear that there were any difference between the N and LB given that other than the power supply the units are to my knowledge identical. Not that a power supply can't make a difference but the N is kind of less expensive LB version of the 1073 for those that don't have a Lunch Box. Perhaps a better 5 series power supply would eliminate any of the perceived differences.

Having used a vintage 1073 and the BAE, Heritage and Neve, I found that the BAE sounded closest to the vintage 1073. Depending on what you are looking for I suppose this could be a good thing or a bad thing.

All of the units sounded great and are exceptionally well built though I do agree that BAE's quality control is not as on top of things as the others. The quality is there it's just they need to do a better job of checking units before they leave the factory.

If I didn't buy the BAE my other choice would've been the Neve DPA, great sounding unit. a touch less weight in the lows than the BAE but could be good or bad depending and like the BAE very sweet velvety highs and that rich midrange texture that is a hallmark of the 1073. The Heritage was very good too but to me it sounded slightly congested -compressed maybe -through the upper mids which didn't work as well with my U67 at the time.

Again all these Pres are high quality even the LB versions and mated with a quality mic should yield fantastic results. The differences, while we tend to make a big deal out of them on GS are small in absolute terms. Good luck.
Old 5th November 2017
Here for the gear

Why don't someone share a comparison sample?
Old 8th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrin View Post
Why don't someone share a comparison sample?
I’ll be receiving a Neve DPA in two days. I already own a Neve 1073N so I will run a synth through both and put up a link to hear
Old 12th December 2017
Will folllow up soon! Been pretty busy
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by griploc_1981 View Post
Will folllow up soon! Been pretty busy
Your in Langley as in British Columbia Canada?
Old 13th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Your in Langley as in British Columbia Canada?
Yes
Old 8th May 2018
Quote:
I’ll be receiving a Neve DPA in two days. I already own a Neve 1073N so I will run a synth through both and put up a link to hear
So how do they compare in the end? thinking about the Neve DPA myself.
Old 8th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttattwa View Post
So how do they compare in the end? thinking about the Neve DPA myself.
The dpa is great if you just need a pre, plus it has the trim knob so you can really push the pre to get some nice fuzz.
The N is good the eq and sounds great but I feel the dpa has more weight to it if that makes any sense
Old 8th May 2018
Quote:
The dpa is great if you just need a pre, plus it has the trim knob so you can really push the pre to get some nice fuzz.
The N is good the eq and sounds great but I feel the dpa has more weight to it if that makes any sense
All is subjective always, but it makes sense. thanks. so I assume your main vocal chain is the U87 + Neve 1073 dpa + whatever compressor you use, right?

I always thought that the EQ can be replicated much easier with a good ITB EQ than the preamp section itself, so I may preffer to have the dpa rather than the new SPX, for instance, but I am actually not 100% sure about that so I'll keep gathering info.
Old 9th May 2018
My main vocal chain is a u87ai+Neve 1073+cl1b
Personally I would rather eq a touch before compression then eq after if needed. Usually I get a great input so I don’t do much eq work after tracking
Quote:
All is subjective always, but it makes sense. thanks. so I assume your main vocal chain is the U87 + Neve 1073 dpa + whatever compressor you use, right?

I always thought that the EQ can be replicated much easier with a good ITB EQ than the preamp section itself, so I may preffer to have the dpa rather than the new SPX, for instance, but I am actually not 100% sure about that so I'll keep gathering info.
Old 9th May 2018
Quote:
Personally I would rather eq a touch before compression then eq after if needed. Usually I get a great input so I don’t do much eq work after tracking
The eq on the 1073 is really nice btw
Old 9th May 2018
Quote:
Does it mean you use the 1073N (which has EQ) most of the time for tracking vocals instead of the 1073dpa (which hasn’t)?
Old 9th May 2018
Quote:
Does it mean you use the 1073N (which has EQ) most of the time for tracking vocals instead of the 1073dpa (which hasn’t)?
Yes, I use the 1073n for lead vocals( I also have an Avalon M4 Mic Pre and a UA 610 solo) I will be adding a tubetech PE1C eq at the end of my vocal chain at the end of this week.
I use the dpa for my Yamaha motif xf and also for 2bussing in combination with my API 2500 comp and my Maag EQ4M.
Old 28th May 2018
My first 1073 style preamps were Grear Rivers. I got bored with them pretty quick (I actually preferred my Isa 428) so I bought a single Channel Brent Averill 1073MPF. I liked it better and used it for a while. When I needed another channel like it I got a little bit more serious about it and started doing some research. I considered the 1073DPX but I just couldn't get over the wimpy power supply issue, and I also read a lot of comments saying that the DPA had a more robust and bigger sound. Since I already have some pretty good eqs I went ahead and bought the 1073 DPA. I don't know how it compares to the N or DPX but I can certainly say that I prefer it to my Great Rivers and Brent Averill. It's clear and wide at low gain settings and gets so nice and buttery when you push it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search