The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Having 20 great mics --IS-- better than 1 great mic
Old 6th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKT View Post
Mind if I ask which studio? Recently did the same at Sunset (kept it to 4). The underdog C37 won out.
Are you talking about a Sony C37a?
Old 6th December 2014
DKT
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Are you talking about a Sony C37a?
Yup. Had it up against a 47, C12 and 251. Sophie's choice.
Old 6th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yup. Had it up against a 47, C12 and 251. Sophie's choice.
Could be my favorite among all the vocal mics I have owned. Nothing else sounds quite like it. Not necessarily accurate, I remember it as being very hi-fi sounding, a lot of presence to it.
Old 6th December 2014
DKT
Gear Head

Quote:
Could be my favorite among all the vocal mics I have owned. Nothing else sounds quite like it. Not necessarily accurate, I remember it as being very hi-fi sounding, a lot of presence to it.
Yeah, I feel it's a bit of a sleeper outside of studio circles.

Had to Google image Hendrix using it to butter up client.

Have always been curious about the FET version (C37B), never have had a chance to try.
Old 6th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post

And, sometimes an inexpensive mic will win out on a high end exspenive one in some cases with some vocalists.
+1 on that. Ive had an SM7 work better than a U87ai on certain loud Metal singers.
Old 6th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:

Have always been curious about the FET version (C37B), never have had a chance to try.
C37p, actually. Never had one. From the pictures it looks like the same microphone where they just pulled out the tube and stuck some circuit boards in there instead. heh

I would also like to hear one.
Old 6th December 2014
Lives for gear
I can pick 4 or 5 of the worlds top male vocalists who I'd be grabbing a Beyer M88 or Beta 58 to cut vocals with, way, way before a Vintage capacitor mic.
Old 7th December 2014
Lives for gear

I wouldn't mind using one type for everything ..U47, C12, U87, or C37 ..or even a dynamic, RE15 or similar.
Old 7th December 2014
DKT
Gear Head

Quote:
C37p, actually.
Ah, my mistake / ignorance. From what I gather there was a tube, phantom (FET?) and FET version? C37A, C37B, C37P?

Also, Sony apparently reissued the solid state version at some point?

Sorry, I've always eyed getting a C37A - but that power module is a pain to find since it has the tranny in it.

EDIT - to completely show my ignorance, was referring to the reissued C38B
Old 7th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:

Sorry, I've always eyed getting a C37A - but that power module is a pain to find since it has the tranny in it.
Also it can make the cable a bit of a radio antenna, it was very temperamental about picking up noise from fluorescent lights and other noise sources.

I sold mine in about 2000 or 2001. I think for about $1500.
Old 7th December 2014
Gear Addict

Old 7th December 2014
Lives for gear

I don't read too much into the mic shoot out if it's the producer and the singer's first visit to a major studio. I think of it more like dressing up and going to the prom, it's something that the singer has been dreaming about for a long time, or on the opposite end might be worried if they can do it again ... and these throw away sessions I think are more about getting the game on. I know even as a finance guy, i get nervous for almost no reason when i walk into a big studio's floor that has had so many of the greats record.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search