The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio 6176 or a 500 Lunch Box? 500 Series Preamps
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Head

Universal Audio 6176 or a 500 Lunch Box?

I was looking into the 500 series pres and wanted a FAT warm sound for Jazz vocals.

A friend recommended the Universal Audio 6176 or LA610 but I didn't see any 500 series out by UA.

So for that FAT warm yet clear vocal sound in a 500 series I was thinking of perhaps the following:

Rupert Neve Designs 511
Burl Audio B1D
Warm Audio WA12 500

Tips?

Sammy
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Nut

are you looking for a channel strip? or just pre? LA610 has compressor built in and 6176 is 610 and 1176 combined unit.
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawon View Post
are you looking for a channel strip? or just pre? LA610 has compressor built in and 6176 is 610 and 1176 combined unit.
That's a very good question! It's one I asked myself today.

I'm not sure if I need a channel strip. Basically I would use the pre and run it into (let's say) the new Antelope Pure2 (in the near future) and then I would use my plug's for compression etc.

I'm currently just cutting vocals straight into "the Box" without any compression, EQ etc. I like cutting the vocals "raw" and then adding compression, eq, etc. after the fact.

However maybe there's something I'm missing by not using a channel strip!

Any enlightenment would be most appreciated.
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Try this one

A Designs EM Gold 500 Series Preamp Used | Soundpure.com

I think you'll be very pleased
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Fat warm jazz vocals... La-610 sounds right
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Don't get any UA combined Channelstrip. The Warm Audio WA76 sounds better than any compressor in a UA Channel. And you can combine it with a variety of pres and still save some money. I think these combined Channelstrip products had their hayday in the mid 2000s. We are in a different (more modular) era now.
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
Don't get any UA combined Channelstrip. The Warm Audio WA76 sounds better than any compressor in a UA Channel. And you can combine it with a variety of pres and still save some money. I think these combined Channelstrip products had their hayday in the mid 2000s. We are in a different (more modular) era now.
The RND Portico II, Buzz Audio ARC and Retro Powerstrip seem more than adequate as far as channelstrips go...
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
This unit looks really good! Thanks for the tip!
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
The RND Portico II, Buzz Audio ARC and Retro Powerstrip seem more than adequate as far as channelstrips go...
For this price these better be "adequate"
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Nut

I have heard nothing but good things about the WA76! especially at that price!
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Maniac

I always thought the UA LA-610 preamp sounded a bit thin and hazy. Don't purchase one just because it uses a tube.
If you want fat and warm I would suggest following 500 series units:

Burl B1 / B1D
A-Designs P-1
Chandler Germanium
Chandler Little Devil
Rupert Neve Designs 511

Be aware that the Burl B1D slightly rolls off the high end. It could work really well for what you need it though.
Old 11th October 2014
Jb2
Gear Nut

Warm tb and their 76
Old 11th October 2014
Quote:
That is one persons opinion. Personally I prefer UA version which is made in California by the company who created the original. Who knows if a 15 year old in China is putting the Warm Audio together. They don't have all the rules and employee regulations we have here. Plus the UA channel strips sound great.
Old 11th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearOnGuitar View Post
I always thought the UA LA-610 preamp sounded a bit thin and hazy. Don't purchase one just because it uses a tube.
If you want fat and warm I would suggest following 500 series units:

Burl B1 / B1D
A-Designs P-1
Chandler Germanium
Chandler Little Devil
Rupert Neve Designs 511

Be aware that the Burl B1D slightly rolls off the high end. It could work really well for what you need it though.
UA thin? This is why you really need to just call a dealer and try it out yourself in your studio. Make up your own mind. Someone may not like the UA, but to say it's thin surprises me.
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
For this price these better be "adequate"
while I clearly understand subtleties can be missed in the internet realm(being as it may I meant it as a rhetorical statement), it seems you sir have not grasped well the concept of a deliberate understatement...
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Addict
The UA 610 series of pres continue to be purchased and used by countless top notch studios world wide. They are a long, long, way from becoming obsolete and are continuing to have their hey day right into the two thousand teens. They're still a great choice...for the right applications. However, I have to admit, the Warm Audio pres have me curious.

Tom
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb2 View Post
Warm tb and their 76
I've had both WA12 and the LA610. A tonebeast will be here any minute. I'd go with the Warm stuff over the 610. I haven't tried the WA76 yet, but you may not need it. Still given the quality of their pre's for the money, I'm sure the WA76 is a nice unit.
L.
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
UA thin? This is why you really need to just call a dealer and try it out yourself in your studio. Make up your own mind. Someone may not like the UA, but to say it's thin surprises me.
I'm with you here...I had a 610 for a number of years and I would never think to describe it as thin. Hazy? Yes, but certainly not thin.
Old 12th October 2014
I have a Telefunken U47 going to a UA 4-710d and that pre is extremely warm, and worked great on vocals during a recent french 'cafe jazz' recording I did. It's also definitely the best Rhodes DI I've heard, adds insane fatness to the lows and mids.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search