The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moving used 2" reels
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Moving used 2" reels

A couple of clients have called me recently asking about selling their stored 2" reels. I also have dozens of them, waiting in vain (along with my poor Otari) in storage. Ebay doesn't seem like the place to try to move these. My clients would probably even consider giving them away just for shipping costs. It would be a shame to just trash them. Does anybody know of any effective sources for selling used reels?
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Depending on how old they are, how well they were stored and how many times they've been used, they may not be of use to anyone…even for free.
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Guru

Can you test them for sticky shed? I would before trying to move them.
Old 10th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Ebay doesn't seem like the place to try to move these.
Why not?
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Why not?
I've checked from time to time and seen next to nothing there. It's a pretty esoteric item these days, so it would seem more likely to be bought and sold through more specialized channels. Maybe not...
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Can you test them for sticky shed? I would before trying to move them.
No, not practical for me. I'm sure most of them are good, especially the 3M and later Ampex stuff, but it would require a leap of faith. I probably just held onto the stuff too long. Hope springs eternal...
Old 10th October 2014
Quote:
I've checked from time to time and seen next to nothing there. It's a pretty esoteric item these days, so it would seem more likely to be bought and sold through more specialized channels. Maybe not...
If I were selling used tape I'd start with eBay and Gearslutz classifieds. I'd test the reels for stick/shed before listing them, and make sure there were no splices. If testing wasn't an option then I'd offer a money back guarantee.
Old 10th October 2014
Quote:
No, not practical for me. I'm sure most of them are good, especially the 3M and later Ampex stuff, but it would require a leap of faith. I probably just held onto the stuff too long. Hope springs eternal...
Old 2" tapes glue together with time... older Ampex 456 tape too.
And the tape head is full of glue remains, all is sticky and the machine stop...
which is not really nice.

Bake the tapes carefully in the oven is an old trick !

Hope this helps!

R.
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
If I were selling used tape I'd start with eBay and Gearslutz classifieds. I'd test the reels for stick/shed before listing them, and make sure there were no splices. If testing wasn't an option then I'd offer a money back guarantee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
And the tape head is full of glue remains, all is sticky and the machine stop...

Back the tapes carefully in the oven is an old trick !

Hope this helps!

R.
Agreed on the guarantee. I wouldn't stick someone with worthless tape. And yes, I'm well experienced dealing with shedding tape, though much more frequently with 1/4" than 2". I found the 3M stock and the later Ampex and Quantegy 499 to be very hardy, while much of the Ampex 456 from the 80's was terrible. Baking is a great tool for doing a one-off to digital, but can't restore a disintegrating reel for re-use.

I do miss that great smell of a newly-opened box of 2", though! Ah, nostalgia...
Old 10th October 2014
Quote:
I do miss that great smell of a newly-opened box of 2", though! Ah, nostalgia...
Me too !

My new car smells like that...
I love it.

R.
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post

Back the tapes carefully in the oven is an old trick !.
Baking sticky tapes will make them playable only for short while, and they will soon revert back to their sticky state. To offer such tapes for sale on eBay would be unethical, if not illegal. I bake old tapes to transfer them once, but not to record music on them

The sticky-shed syndrome affects LARGE numbers of tapes across many years. IME, it is more likely the tapes are sticky than that they are not. I have been advising those clients who are coming in to do a tape project to bite the bullet and just buy new tapes.
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Baking sticky tapes will make them playable only for short while, and they will soon revert back to their sticky state. To offer such tapes for sale on eBay would be unethical, if not illegal. I bake old tapes to transfer them once, but not to record music on them

The sticky-shed syndrome affects LARGE numbers of tapes across many years. IME, it is more likely the tapes are sticky than that they are not. I have been advising those clients who are coming in to do a tape project to bite the bullet and just buy new tapes.
Exactly!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search