The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drums sound different in different rooms - a video blog DAW Software
Old 8th October 2014
Drums sound different in different rooms - a video blog

So as many of you know we have 5 different live rooms (well 4 live rooms and a large booth) here at Circle Recording Studios in Birmingham. The crazy idea behind the design of the place was to bring 5 completely different sonic environments into one studio: 'every drum recording studio you'll ever need'. I'd been thinking for a long time that it would be cool to do some kind of video blog so that people could hear the rooms side by side so to speak. So finally, after a couple of false starts here it is.

Bit of a disclaimer first though, I don't have lots of spare cash around to make different versions, of what is essentially a showreel, for both the engineer community and the artist community. And truth is, both are looking for very different things. So there will be bits in here that don't appeal to you. Skip to the 1 minute point if you only want to hear the rooms.

For the engineers, we wanted to capture the vibe of the rooms. No fancy micing techniques. No eq. No compression. Just some limiting to bring the tracks up to a reasonable level. Of course I'm sure the youtube encoding has played havoc with it but, as im currently 35,000 feet above Iceland en route to AES, I haven't been able to actually hear the uploaded version.

The set up was that we put a pair of Coles 4038 as a blumlein pair, 12 feet in front of the kick, and recorded straight through the API console to pro tools with no eq and no compression. The measured distance from mic to kick was the same in every case. The drums were the same. the drummer was the same and he was playing a pre-planned pattern. So what you are hearing is nothing but the impact of the room (and the particular performance of course) on the recording. Listen carefully and you'll hear the 'note' of the kick change in each case. The tonal difference in respect of the snare is even more noticeable, as is the thwack (or lack of it) and the reverb tail on it.

We threw in a couple of extra rooms: the corridor and toilet, so you could hear exactly how much difference there is in a sub-optimal room. There's also a bit of fun stuff going on in the first minute or so because Joe Public probably doesn't care for drum sounds as much as we do. And besides... It made us laugh quite a lot when we were doing it so we thought we'd leave it there for you. Feel free to ignore it if your sense of humour has failed you or skip to the 1 minute point if you want to miss all the fun.

Anyway, enough of that... Enjoy:

Old 8th October 2014
Trev, awesome video

All the rooms are marvellous.

I'm sure, it's great to recording drums in your studio.

Depend of the style of the song, the rhythm or the player. All the rooms work very well !

Love the extra white room with the long rev and the wood wall room.

Btw, a fantastic drummer on the vid

Thank you very much!
R.
Old 8th October 2014
Gear Guru

Super cool, Trev! The hallway is really nice sounding, too bad there no room for the whole drum set. I think I like the wood room best, but the all sound cool.
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Addict

I liked the corridor best, followed by the toilet.
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

It's not real.
Green screen and a Bricasti.

Awesome stuff, man!
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

great post!
Old 9th October 2014
SRS
Lives for gear

Awesome... Nice work! Great drummer with soul.
Old 9th October 2014
Trev, great video!

And GREAT studio!

Hope those APIs are workin' out for ya

I might be out your way in a couple months. I'd love to check out the studio! Looks/sounds great.
Old 9th October 2014
Thanks all. Glad you enjoyed it! We got a big kick out of doing it! (See what I did there ;-)).

Benny, API's worked out great! You're always welcome here man! Let me know your window and hopefully we can fit you in!
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Hey trev glad to see you made this video, keen to listen on some good speakers
Old 9th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Hey trev glad to see you made this video, keen to listen on some good speakers
Me too. Am only on my iPhone here so can't tell how much youtube compression has mangled it!
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Me too. Am only on my iPhone here so can't tell how much youtube compression has mangled it!
@ 1080, it doesn't seem like much mangling was done at all.

That said, I think the wood room sounds best... to me, anyway.

Cool vid!
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Now if you imagine all this on vintage tape and vinyl, it becomes obvious why drums on old records really sound so interestingly different. Use of room and different levels of tape saturation. That's all it really was about. And tuning of course.
Old 9th October 2014
Trev, I have visited the Grandmaster Ash webside.

The Video: Grandmaster Ash Showreel.... without words...
This guy is incredible !

No wonder that your vid sounds great

R.
Old 10th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
Now if you imagine all this on vintage tape and vinyl, it becomes obvious why drums on old records really sound so interestingly different. Use of room and different levels of tape saturation. That's all it really was about. And tuning of course.
And perhaps the most important point... Awesome players!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
Trev, I have visited the Grandmaster Ash webside.

The Video: Grandmaster Ash Showreel.... without words...
This guy is incredible !

No wonder that your vid sounds great

R.
For sure... he really is excellent. And up for a laugh too. I'm not sure how many other top session drummers would have had their trousers down for the toilet shot "because it would make the video funnier"
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

What's the white room??? and don't tell me Cream LOL

It's hard to see the boundaries.

In a white room loud rock drum set...
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

nice took the essence of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY-f68J5PPo and turned it into a funny ad. very enjoyable.
Old 11th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
nice took the essence of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY-f68J5PPo and turned it into a funny ad. very enjoyable.
Looks similar but we actually planned this before we ever saw that one.
Old 11th October 2014

That is awesome man!
Old 12th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
That is awesome man!
Thanks James! VKLA today for brunch?
Old 12th October 2014
I love that red carpet stone wall room. Kick was tight and fat and snare still had nice brightness. Great job.

C
Old 13th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Looks similar but we actually planned this before we ever saw that one.
Yea I know the feeling, the moon landing was MY IDEA as well
Old 18th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPProAudio View Post
I love that red carpet stone wall room. Kick was tight and fat and snare still had nice brightness. Great job.

C
Thanks man. It certainly has its own thing. We did a band last week that wanted an early Nirvana kinda vibe. The wooden room absolutely nailed it! It's fun having choices!
Old 18th October 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

Awesome. Thanks for this. I was really surprised by how cool that tunnel sounded
Old 25th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Awesome. Thanks for this. I was really surprised by how cool that tunnel sounded
Tunnel? You mean the corridor shot?
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

Cool. You could use different rooms for different parts of a song -- tight and dry for verses, big and open for chorus, or just put a splash of that white room on snare.

Nice editing, seamless, must have taken a while.
Old 26th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
Cool. You could use different rooms for different parts of a song -- tight and dry for verses, big and open for chorus, or just put a splash of that white room on snare.

Nice editing, seamless, must have taken a while.
Absolutely. If you look up the last song by UK band The Enemy (I think they are actually known as The Enemy UK in the states) which is called 'Melody' we tracked the drums in the big room but used a send to an active speaker in the stone room and recorded that signal back in so that fader could be ridden up for a little extra excitement in the choruses.

All the filming and editing was done by Iain at IndiVID Studios. I'm very happy with the outcome.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search