The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buzz MA2.2 TX or Forssell SMP2A Condenser Microphones
Old 4th October 2014
Gear Head
Buzz MA2.2 TX or Forssell SMP2A

Looking at these 2 mic pre's for acoustic guitar recordings.
Forssell SMP-2A or Buzz MA2.2 TX something more clean picks up detail
any thoughts?
Old 4th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Are you looking for a cleaner sound or something a bit more color but still accurate to the source. Also may I list other recommendation or do you want to hear exclusively about those two preamps?
Old 4th October 2014
I have personally only used the Buzz pres but they are absolutely beautiful. If you want a good clean tone (which is what I am usually after when recording acoustic guitar); they are the ticket! I use the ma2.2s at work for orchestral work as well which really sound amazing with a colourful mic like a U-47 on them. I have the Buzz QSP-20 quad pre at home which I love as well but I would love to upgrade to the MA2.2s at some point. Although in saying that; the best acoustic sound I have ever had was the QSP-20s in an old batch with a great guitarist and a great guitar with a AKG414 and a shure SM81 on it!
Old 4th October 2014
Gear Head
Maybe some color but true to source.
I am open to suggestions.
Old 5th October 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

Both of those would be excellent choices. Flip a coin
Colour is also easy to add on the backend
Old 6th October 2014
Lives for gear
I have a Buzz Audio MA2.2 with the DI boxes and is such a delight to use. It has both transformer and transformerless outputs on each of the two preamp channels. I always use it. As with most Buzz Audio products, it is very versatile. It excels with pianos, violins, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass guitar, ukulele, orchestras, choirs and vocals. It is perfect companion with my Neumann U87ais and KM 184s.
Old 8th October 2014
Gear Head
bump
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Read up on my experiences with the SMP2 in this post:

Holy grail preamp: most versatile?
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

I have the QSP20, and they are amazing for acoustic guitars. Truly amazing. Best preamp I've heard for that.

I was under the impression the QSP would be very similar to the MA2.2. So its very different?
Old 9th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
I have the QSP20, and they are amazing for acoustic guitars. Truly amazing. Best preamp I've heard for that.

I was under the impression the QSP would be very similar to the MA2.2. So its very different?
Not overly. The MA2.2 just sounds a little bit cleaner; especially if it is transformer less. I highly rate the QSP20 though; especially for acoustic guitars!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search