The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New SSL XL Desk 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 23rd May 2015
Lives for gear

Gorgeous setup, man, congrats! Crazy how the API Box only has a few 500 series option slots while the XL-Desk has 18!
Old 23rd May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post
Gorgeous setup, man, congrats! Crazy how the API Box only has a few 500 series option slots while the XL-Desk has 18!
The SSL was very tempting but I went with the Ocean 516 Ark in the end, it has 40 slots, 6 auxes and is expandable.
Old 29th May 2015
Lives for gear

Can anyone confirm the channel width on the xl desk, is it 1.6" (which I think is the SSL standard). So is there a slight gap between modules?
Old 1st June 2015
Gear Addict

Is the SSL bus comp in this a normal double-wide 500 series module? Would it work in a standard 500 rack like an Obsidian or something? I would really have no use for it, and if it can be removed and sold to defray costs, and replaced with something else, that would definitely be a plus.
Old 1st June 2015
Gear Addict

Kinda surprised to see some people put off because of a feature or two.
It seems to me that no console will be "perfect" unless you go with a custom console, which is a completely different price point. Even then, will the feature set remain "perfect" over the long term?
All consoles are some sort of compromise, and I like to think in terms of systems, not consoles. So, on the whole, does the mixer/ outboard/ automation/ daw fit your aesthetic/ budget/ workflow?
A creative workaround may provide an economically viable alternative.
Like more D/A to provide more hardware sends? Or maybe hook up a Speck xtramix to an x-desk/matrix/XL-desk/AWS to add on 8 busses and 8 sends per channel? Probably enough in today's day & age.
I think of the creativity of engineers in the 50's and 60's to make great music with very little by today's standards.
George Massenberg said that at Stax the drummer was told not to play the cymbals to his right because they didn't have a mic for that part of the kit. Tape delay was long loops going out of the control room, and flanging was touching the rep to reel. Creative. Making do with what there was. Great music.
Now SSL, who I. The 80's catered only to the elite, now has, by my count, seven (7!), different approaches depending on preference and budget.
Nucleus + duende
Sigma +/- nucleus
X-desk +/- x-panda
Matrix
XL-desk
AWS
Duality
Don't forget x-Logic pieces to add to any of the above.
All made in England, with same circuitry, audio quality, etc. as the top end consoles,
and compatible with 3rd party equipment, and no caps to replace!
I use an x-desk/x-panda, and the bonus is that every time I add equipment, or want to do something, the system can handle it. It works and solves problems in ways I never imagined until I am confronted by them. Clearly designed by people who have had a long history of providing professional products.
Really? What's not to like?
Thanks you, SSL!
Old 1st June 2015
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Can anyone confirm the channel width on the xl desk, is it 1.6" (which I think is the SSL standard). So is there a slight gap between modules?
Channel width is set to match the 500-series slots above it. We left a teeny tiny bit of extra width (IIRC about 0.5mm) to allow for variations in paint finish on various 500-series modules as this has been an issue with some rack/module combinations.
Old 2nd February 2017
Here for the gear

I've recently acquired the XLDesk, but am struggling to understand why there are 4 faders for the Stereo Busses, but not for the Mix Busses. Does anyone that knows SSL mixing philosophy understand the intent behind this? What would be routed to the Stereo busses that would be more important than what would be routed to the Mix busses, which warrants them having their own fader/strip vs. a pot for the mix bus?
Old 5th February 2017
Solid State Logic

The idea was 16 mono channels and 4 stereo stems out of your DAW.
Then route these in to the buses.

If your question is why don't the B,C, and D buses have faders? Then the answers are space, cost, and good gain structure :-)
Old 24th March 2017
I am surprised there is not more talk of this console. The more I learn about this mixer, the more I am impressed with it.

This video explains a lot. https://youtu.be/UApFMdmveSM

Even without automation, when you save a song in your DAW, when you go back to the song, put the all SSL faders at unity to start where you left off.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search