The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL X-Rack Aux Channels? Summing Mixers
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Nut

SSL X-Rack Aux Channels?

Via SSL X-Rack, I'm thinking of setting up 16 stereo EQ into 16 stereo comps then into a Sigma. My question to you:

What do you think is the best way to setup aux channels post the stereo comps (before summing to the sigma) WITHOUT printing back into the DAW?

I know the Matrix has send/returns, but I'd rather spend the money on the EQs and comps.

What do you think?
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Maniac

... it's an expensive setup ... on top of that ... if I had understand properly ... you want aux sends for each chain ... EQ-COMP ... before summing ...

... I don't know about the workflow you have in mind ... but have you considered to get a console instead ?
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Head

Well i don't think its possible unless you add something else into the chain! How does a compressor give you an aux you know? If you're gonna go eq->comp->sigma ins then you'd need another summing mixer between the comps and sigma. That way you go comps->new summing mixer in...new summing mixer direct out->sigma but you could use that summing mixer's insert sends (assuming they stay active, SSL style) as auxes... The summing mixer will have to have direct outs though. What Im talking about is explained here: Rupert Neve Designs – Satellite 5059 16 under "Making Connections" .... Otherwise Im afraid you're trying to create auxes without any busses which is just not possible! Good luck!
Old 4th October 2014
Lives for gear

Would you mind explaining better what you're trying to achieve?

For starters, 16 stereo EQs and Comps represent 4 fully stuffed X-Racks with stereo modules, at around €32k. Questions:

1) after this much money, you're not getting some sort of small console and will go to just a sumer?
2) SSL Comps are great for drums and percussion, but they won't work that great with other type of sound sources, where a fast FET or Opto with more tweakability are much preferred. Are you sure you only want 'simple' SSL VCA ch comps for everything? And you DON'T need to compress every single track.
3) It's usually comp>eq, unless you want the comp to affect/avoid certain freq.
4) If it's for mixing, aux sends MUST be post fader, thus AFTER the SSL Sigma has done the levelling on each track.

Anyhow, this is what I'd do:

DAW >> SSL Comps >> SSL EQs >> Sigma (which does the automated leveling and suming) >> all direct outs form the sigma to any regular €1k mixer with the sole purpose of providing post fader aux sends. Done.

And BTW, I'd get only two X-racks, filled mostly with st EQs, some black EQ, some superanalogue compressor (for drums/precussion) and the master bus comp.

Invest the rest in some Heritage EQs, some 1176s and an sta-level or LA-2A/3A.

You don't need to treat every singe track with outboard, just the keys tracks IMO. The rest can be massaged ITB, and then sent to the Sigma for analogue summing.

And add a Nucleus to the Sigma to control the DAW and automate Sigma analog faders.

Hope this helps
Old 4th October 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
For starters, 16 stereo EQs and Comps represent 4 fully stuffed X-Racks with stereo modules, at around €32k. Questions:
I think OP meant stereo eq and comp modules... SSL sell single space stereo modules... Thats 2 X-racks...
Old 5th October 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks for the feedback. Here's what I'm attempting to accomplish:

I'm building a room (studio) just for mixing. The room will be primarily used for:

50% of the time mixing an orchestral works (which is why I'm leaning toward SSL stereo EQs).
50% singer songwriter, world music, jazz, electronic

I'm planning on a hybrid modular approach as I don't have the upfront funds to invest in a console.

Thoughts?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search