The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Massive Passive Variations?
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Head
Massive Passive Variations?

Can someone explain what the differences in the different MPs are please (ie silver vs purple, new/old etc)?
I'm aware of how the mastering version differs.
Thanks.
Old 4th October 2014
Gear Head
Sonic differences between purple and silver faces?
Old 5th October 2014
Here for the gear

Hi
From my experience there are no difference in the sound. I just got an 2001 "silver face" and to me it sound just like the newer (purple) model that I used before. I changed the tubes and put in some o-rings on some of the knobs and it was good to go.
The only hardware difference I know about is that the very early models did not have a voltage changeover switch on the power supply but mine have that.
Old 6th October 2014
Gear Head
Ok, thank you.
Old 7th October 2014
Lives for gear

The difference between the older models and the current models is they use a different tube configuration. Each side uses 3 tubes each. I don't remember their names, but there is no sonic difference in the units. Some people swear the older configuration sounds better, but the tubes are doing so little, that it shouldn't matter. There is only 1 of the 3 per side that's different. It's some oddball type. I believe it's a variant of the 12au7 but not as strong. Somewhere on Manley's site you can find it.
JJ
Old 7th October 2014
Lives for gear

P.S. I believe a manual for a newer model actually refers to the tube differences in the section detailing swapping tubes.
JJ
Old 7th October 2014
Lives for gear

They all sound the same but the Limited Edition Gold Massive Passive units look and sound best because that is the one I bought...
Old 8th October 2014

Howdy,
Please read Manley FAQ #125 regarding "silver" vs "purple" faceplate colors over the decades at Manley Labs.
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Man, occasions like this is why I keep coming back to this board. It's pretty awesome that we can communicate with the people behind the scenes; the people we appreciate, but are often unavailable. Thanks EveAnna for chiming in! And a HUGE thanks for all of your awesome designs. I have a few that I couldn't live without!

To the OP, go to the Manuals page : Manley Labs Product Manuals and look for the Massive Passive manuals. There is one for 1998 - 2004, and one for 2004 - present. Your serial # will tell you which is yours. Compare page 17 on both manuals and you'll see the difference in tubes. But, as many know, especially EveAnna, this difference has negligible effect on performance.

Good Luck!
JJ
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGaff View Post
They all sound the same but the Limited Edition Gold Massive Passive units look and sound best because that is the one I bought...
hahaha. Of course. : )
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search