The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hi end speaker selector?? Do they exist? Monitor Controllers
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Head

Hi end speaker selector?? Do they exist?

Hi all, I'm really stumped in my search for a professional grade 3 way speaker selector! I need to switch between Mpc, ns10 and ns 1000 monitors connected to a Bryson 4b st pro amp. I really didn't think that it would be such a mission to find a quality speaker selector that does not colour the sound in any way.... I was wrong!

After initial research the only suggestion which kept cropping up was the Bryston 3 way speaker switcher. However these have been out of production a while now and I simply cannot find one anywhere! I've looked over 4 months on eBay, all kinds of classifieds, here, audio gone they're just not out there!? The Bryston was the only suggestion I found which doesn't colour the sound in any way. Do you guys know of any alternatives at all....

Your help is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Joe
Old 3rd October 2014
I'm not aware of anything available commercially that allows you use one amp and three sets of monitors. Do radial do anything?

If not it may be easier just to get a good tech to knock something up for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmandel View Post
Hi all, I'm really stumped in my search for a professional grade 3 way speaker selector! I need to switch between Mpc, ns10 and ns 1000 monitors connected to a Bryson 4b st pro amp. I really didn't think that it would be such a mission to find a quality speaker selector that does not colour the sound in any way.... I was wrong!

After initial research the only suggestion which kept cropping up was the Bryston 3 way speaker switcher. However these have been out of production a while now and I simply cannot find one anywhere! I've looked over 4 months on eBay, all kinds of classifieds, here, audio gone they're just not out there!? The Bryston was the only suggestion I found which doesn't colour the sound in any way. Do you guys know of any alternatives at all....

Your help is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Joe
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Head

Hi thanks for the reply! I have checked radial and emailed ... Hope they have something! Also came across Coleman audio and emailed them too , they say they can do custom kit so here's hoping! Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
At the end of the day it is only a switch in a box (or a couple of switches).
As Trev says, get a tech to put something together for you.
Matt S
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Head

Hi do you have any details of a tech I could contact regarding building a unit? I have no experience/ have never used a tech for anything before.

Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
I could (I am in the UK near Liverpool) although post is probably convenient, but sending anything to USA is a 'pain'. Where are you (which country and 'city')?
Maybe Lotus 7 (GS member) or others would suggest other people/places.
Matt S
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Addict

Doesn't Kush make one?
Old 3rd October 2014
Lives for gear
Niles audio
Niles Audio Corporation

Last edited by Macky; 3rd October 2014 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: DACS is a controller
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Head

Hi Matt I'm in Bradford England, so not too far really! As for the niles suggestion , do appreciate the suggestion but I've heard they degrade the signal quite badly. Specifically introduce noise, loss of stereo imaging and loss of high end and bass. I'll check the lush 1 out
Old 3rd October 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
That Niles audio thing is not what you want for your setup. It is trying to be too 'clever' and idiot proof for HiFi owners. Not surprised it could 'damage' the audio.
You need a decent quality switch or two. Very simple really.
Do you have any requirements for mounting or any other 'requests'?
You only want 1 pair of speakers on at once?
Matt S
Old 3rd October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
I could (I am in the UK near Liverpool) although post is probably convenient, but sending anything to USA is a 'pain'. Where are you (which country and 'city')?
Maybe Lotus 7 (GS member) or others would suggest other people/places.
Matt S
Quote:
Hi Matt I'm in Bradford England, so not too far really! As for the niles suggestion , do appreciate the suggestion but I've heard they degrade the signal quite badly. Specifically introduce noise, loss of stereo imaging and loss of high end and bass. I'll check the lush 1 out
a match made in heaven (or on GS at least which is the closest place to audio heaven I know)!
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Head

Hey Matt totally agree about the niles audio. I'm just after a heavy duty 3 way switcher, to play one pair at once, which doesnt affect the signal path in any way. Inside preferably the highest quality stuff, 12 or 14 gauge cable, gold plated connectors & heavy duty switches (or 1 switch which clicks between all 3). Banana plug terminals. Alluminium or steel chassis , which can accept 300w per channel & both 4 or 8 ohm speakers. I know that sounds like quite a list of demands but just let me know if that's possible, I've got cash waiting and rather pay for someone like you to do a nice custom job than hunt around for a second hand Bryston. Infact if you google the Bryston 3 way switch , that's basically the kind of box/specs I'm after.... Don't know if its a big ask as I'm no tech, but many people in forums have commented that its not so difficult to make? Just let me know , thanks
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Guru

Something tells me that whoever knocks one of these up properly for a half decent price and makes it available would shift a couple of units. Not millions perhaps in a time of active everything, but more than two. I would consider one if it really keeps the signal happy happy.......
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Head

Yea exactly , most important thing is transparency, though I don't know how difficult that is to acheive!
Old 3rd October 2014
Matt is the right man, trust him

R.
Old 3rd October 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Something tells me that whoever knocks one of these up properly for a half decent price and makes it available would shift a couple of units. Not millions perhaps in a time of active everything, but more than two. I would consider one if it really keeps the signal happy happy.......
Indeed one for me would good... If I had the time I'd make one available.

It would need to be shorting perhaps to keep some amps loaded even if for a brief moment, better 4ohms parallel than none...
Old 3rd October 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
'Transistor' amplifiers do not need to be loaded constantly so going 'open' is not an issue although if you are squeamish it is possible to incorporate a 'light' load.
Valve amps are also quite happy unloaded on the strict condition that it is not being 'driven' significantly (couple of watts). The high voltage breakdown which is cited as a failure mode is only a problem if it is giving a large signal with no load connected. It is the occasions when users of high powered valve amps accidentally unplug the speaker while at 'full thrash' that sparks appear.
If of interest, I was looking at suitable switches earlier. There are not many contenders as single switches but it is possible.
Matt S
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Guru

If you are saying you could point at a suitable switch which one could easily build into a little box oneself, presumably passively, I say yes sir, there is interest, please feel free to point away pretty please......
Old 3rd October 2014
Quote:

The Dangerous Monitor ST will handle 3 sets + a sub.
The Dangerous Monitor ST - Dangerous Products - Dangerous Music

For two sets of speakers Goldpoint is good.
http://www.goldpt.com/

Not sure what's out there that's decent if don't need the level control.. GL
Old 3rd October 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

Agree but **** happens on valve amps and some of the class-d types get a bit squirrely unloaded. A light load incorp would always be a safe bet although "belt & braces"...

I think some of the Electroswitch or NSF ones would be ok.

-T

Quote:
Hi
'Transistor' amplifiers do not need to be loaded constantly so going 'open' is not an issue although if you are squeamish it is possible to incorporate a 'light' load.
Valve amps are also quite happy unloaded on the strict condition that it is not being 'driven' significantly (couple of watts). The high voltage breakdown which is cited as a failure mode is only a problem if it is giving a large signal with no load connected. It is the occasions when users of high powered valve amps accidentally unplug the speaker while at 'full thrash' that sparks appear.
If of interest, I was looking at suitable switches earlier. There are not many contenders as single switches but it is possible.
Matt S
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Head

Hi waltz it looks like the dangerous st is for switching active monitors. I also tried to find a kush selector earlier,but couldn't see anything. Definitely interested Matt if you could build something like the above mentioned!
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Head

I also emailed Coleman audio yesterday morning and got this reply, what do you make of it?
(My original email is at bottom)

Hi Joe

What your asking is not impossible but it's not technically correct.
I do not make switchers that come after the amp.
At that point you are switching a high current output (not good)
Switching a high current changes the impedance the amp see's for just an instant &
is hard on the speakers.
It's much better to switch the input to the amp which is a voltage signal not a current signal.
I realize this means you need 2 more amps but it's the proper way to do the switching from a technical
view point. Having said this there are switchers available that will do what you want.
Not high end switchers more brute force switchers.
The will work fine when they are new but as time goes on the switch will begin to tarnish & arc
causing possible problems for the amp or speakers.

Glenn Coleman
Coleman Audio
Phone (516) 334-7109
[email protected]
Welcome to colemanaudio.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Colema...58174620867091

On Oct 3, 2014, at 7:49 AM, Josef Mandel wrote:

Hi I am looking for a simple speaker switcher of high quality (no coloration) to switch between 3 pairs of passive studio monitors being fed by a single Bryston 4b st pro amp. The amp is 250 watts per channel. I am only aware of Bryston who used to make a 3 way speaker switcher which handles high loads, with transparency, however they're out of production and proving impossible to find! I have looked at your range of speaker switchers but cannot see if they would be suitable. I have 3 lots of pretty expensive speaker wire going to each pair of speakers terminated with banana plugs so it would need to accommodate these.

Am I asking the impossible? Can't seem to find anything anywhere!?

Best regards

Joe

Sent from my iPhone
Old 3rd October 2014
Lives for gear
If I understand correctly you want to switch POST amplifier, to three different passive speakers yes? If so the BEST thing you can buy, while not being a 'Pro' product per se, is the Luxman AS-55 Speaker Selector. It is insanely well built, silent in operation. I have owned one and it was brilliant, it is almost overbuilt, that is how well made this thing is. Highly recommended. You may however need to buy it direct from Japan (it is passive, so no power required) as it is almost impossible to find outside of Japan.
Old 4th October 2014
Quote:
Hi waltz it looks like the dangerous st is for switching active monitors.
The Monitor ST works with active or passive speakers. I use it with 2 Bryston amps into a pair of Dunlavy 5's.
Stepped volume and switching through relays. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan0.../dangerous.htm
I don't need the speaker switching but use it as a controller and to a/b with source.
Very good quality throughout.

www.waltzmastering.com
Old 4th October 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
While Coleman's answer is not incorrect, the proposal is a 3000 Dollar 'solution' to a 100 Dollar problem.
They are also pulling out all 'excuses' to play on your fears which essentially do not exist.
'In a few years time the switch might get dirty' (paraphrase).
The Luxman COULD be an answer but I have not looked at it.
Other than that you need a good quality high current switch.
You could (although tedious) simply turn the level down, unhook one pair of speakers and connect the next pair. This will NOT damage anything if the amp is turned down and certainly does not need to be turned off.
The Monitor ST is for ACTIVE speakers and not the correct product for you.
Matt S
Old 4th October 2014
Gear Head

Hmm, high current switching? How about a DIY with one of these options?

I have no idea if you'd "hear" either of those in a (high current) signal chain. But would this create issues with either amp or speaker? As long as you build it so it doesn't short or drop to 2 ohms while switching...
Attached Thumbnails
Hi end speaker selector?? Do they exist?-032664309007lg.jpg   Hi end speaker selector?? Do they exist?-knifeswitch.jpg  
Old 4th October 2014
Gear Head

Hi gear tragic, the Luxman looks like it would fit the bill perfectly. When you used did you notice any degradation to the audio signal at all? Also the site is in Japanese can it handle 300w per channel? 8 and 4 ohm speakers? And was it round £500 (without postage) when you bought it?
Old 4th October 2014
Quote:
The Monitor ST is for active speakers
Matt S
That isn't correct. As I mentioned above, I use the Monitor ST with passive Dunlavy speakers and Bryston amps, and know others that use it with passive speakers as well. If the op doesn't need level control, then a simple switcher will work

www.waltzmastering.com
Old 4th October 2014
Gear Head

Hi waltz I think what me and matt are trying to say is that it doesn't function as a switcher between passive speakers , powered by a single amp. It requires each speaker pair to have their own amp. In effect this is the same as active speaker switching , only difference is that you have the amps outside of the speaker, rather than integrated! Please correct me if I'm wrong here but it looks that way from the website.
Old 4th October 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
The switch I have in mind is a 4 pole 3 way rotary switch available from Farnell. The switch is about £14 plus tax and another £6 for the 'handle/knob' to operate it. Rated at 20 Amps and 600 Volts. The only real 'downside' is it is a bit industrial looking. It also needs to be in a box of some sort unless there is a handy bit of panel space where it could be fitted.
Anything more 'fancy' than this is simply 'marketing for the sake of marketing'.
I presume the Luxman at £500 is in a very sexy box.
The open 'knife' switch has a certain 'Gothic' appeal to it but you would need a version with 4 'poles' and 2 switches to get the combination you need.
Matt S

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search