The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hi end speaker selector?? Do they exist? Monitor Controllers
Old 4th October 2014
http://www.merlinequipment.com/page/document.asp?id=598
Dual pole 1/2 and off will do. The other speaker set gets another switch leaving you a spare option.:-)
Old 5th October 2014
SRS
Lives for gear

Switcher

I built this a while back. Cabinet and all. Basically the same logic involved. It is a high amperage switcher to switch from 4 different high output amplifiers to one set of passive speakers. Works like a charm. The volume attenuator is for one of the amps that is a power amp only. The Speakons on the rear are stereo.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi end speaker selector?? Do they exist?-switcher-1-.jpg   Hi end speaker selector?? Do they exist?-switcher-2-.jpg   Hi end speaker selector?? Do they exist?-switcher-3-.jpg   Hi end speaker selector?? Do they exist?-switcher-4-.jpg  
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmandel View Post
Hi all, I'm really stumped in my search for a professional grade 3 way speaker selector! I need to switch between Mpc, ns10 and ns 1000 monitors connected to a Bryson 4b st pro amp. I really didn't think that it would be such a mission to find a quality speaker selector that does not colour the sound in any way.... I was wrong!

After initial research the only suggestion which kept cropping up was the Bryston 3 way speaker switcher. However these have been out of production a while now and I simply cannot find one anywhere! I've looked over 4 months on eBay, all kinds of classifieds, here, audio gone they're just not out there!? The Bryston was the only suggestion I found which doesn't colour the sound in any way. Do you guys know of any alternatives at all....

Your help is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Joe

Im in the same boat Joe. Did you find a solution for this?

Im due to collect my Hypex build from my tech next week and want to power my ATC's and NS10's from that one amp.
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmandel View Post
Hi gear tragic, the Luxman looks like it would fit the bill perfectly. When you used did you notice any degradation to the audio signal at all? Also the site is in Japanese can it handle 300w per channel? 8 and 4 ohm speakers? And was it round £500 (without postage) when you bought it?

No degradation at all, this thing is a very high quality device, and while it is not marked as 'Pro', I doubt you will find anything that is better at what it does.

I ran 500 watt high end amps through it with no problem. I bought it for about AU$1000 direct from Japan.
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
If your tech is putting your Hypex modules together, get (her/him) to put a couple of high quality relays in there to switch the outputs to your 2 sets of speakers then make you a 'remote switch' to control the relays from wherever you want. You could even 'splash out' and have 3 speaker outs 'for the future'.
This should be pretty economical as you already have the box and a supply for the relays.
Matt S
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
If your tech is putting your Hypex modules together, get (her/him) to put a couple of high quality relays in there to switch the outputs to your 2 sets of speakers then make you a 'remote switch' to control the relays from wherever you want. You could even 'splash out' and have 3 speaker outs 'for the future'.
This should be pretty economical as you already have the box and a supply for the relays.
Matt S
Thanks for the info Matt. Much appreciated!

I'll have a word with him to see what can be done. Im not experienced in this department so didn't even think of that option...
Old 1st November 2014
Gear Head

Had an old Bryston speaker selector that worked flawlessly.

This is their current model
Bryston Limited: 6 Way - Speaker Switch Box
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
As it is only a switch in a box I should hope it does work 'flawlessly'!
Putting some high quality relays into your amp (the Hypex example) would allow a small 'sexy' switch (or more if you want more possibilities) to be remotely mounted.
Matt S
Old 1st November 2014
Gear Guru

Technical correctness aside, your speakers almost assuredly have different efficiencies. So even if you get your switch thingy working, the listening level will be hopping up and down. It's a kludgy workaround and you're risking blowing stuff up. Me, I'd stick the 4B on the least efficient pair, find a used 2B for the NS10's (works great with mine), get something else for the third pair, and pick up a used Coleman.
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Technical correctness aside, your speakers almost assuredly have different efficiencies. So even if you get your switch thingy working, the listening level will be hopping up and down. It's a kludgy workaround and you're risking blowing stuff up. Me, I'd stick the 4B on the least efficient pair, find a used 2B for the NS10's (works great with mine), get something else for the third pair, and pick up a used Coleman.
Right, best way IMHO is to switch the Balanced +4 Output driving 2 or more amps and adjust levels on the amps so the SPL at the listening spot is the same..
Nothing new..
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
If you are concerned about level changes due to speaker efficiencies, another relay on the input to the amplifier could be arranged with an attenuator so the levels can be matched.
Any decent tech should be able to sort that out.
Matt S

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search