The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Price No Object Mic/Stereo Pair For Acoustic Guitar And Mandolin Condenser Microphones
Old 11th January 2015
Lives for gear

There is a member named Randge and he is a grammy award winning engineer/producer that specializes in the genre you have specified.

Last edited by ricfoxx; 12th January 2015 at 11:07 PM..
Old 11th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington View Post
As per your original question, perhaps you wanna add to your shootout the AEA 88 (full name escapes me, but you'll find it easily : it's the oblong and black stereo ribbon from AEA). It is excellent on fast-attack acoustic instruments like mandolin, and gives you a convenient M/S or Blumlein option (personal fav stereo configurations, FWIW).

Also, a spaced pair of Sennheiser MKH 8020 (omni), while in a completely different flavor, is really impressive on acoustic instruments.

There's a million other mics worth a try, I'm just chiming about models I use on a daily basis. Good luck !
Totally agree with 8020. Best mic in the world and not that expensive. You have to be careful with monitoring cause they go really really low (and high).
Old 11th January 2015
Gear Maniac
After years of favoring AKG 460s through Pacifica for acoustic guitar, I'm finding M160 ribbons through a AEA TRP to be a more sweet, well rounded and involving sound, especially in fingerpicking styles. I expect it will be a great combo for mandolin too. Disclaimer: I am not a grammy winning engineer.
Old 11th January 2015
Old 12th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simma Lugnt View Post
I hope you mean KM54 and M582 are as different as it can be.

Km54 has glorious-rich-harmonics sounding "magic" (kinda focused).

M582 are more "raw" vintage-open air sounding style mic.

IMO, totally two different mics.
Strange, I think KM54 and M582 are as close as it can be. While you are right that there are differences and I like your description of the differences, I'm not aware of any mic that sounds closer to a KM54.

I have 4 M582 and lots of capsules, all serviced by Andreas Grosser and Siegfried Thiersch and they all sound about the same. Maybe its the service or maybe some mods from Andreas, don't know.
I also have 3 KM54 a"c", also serviced.
Old 12th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Strange, I think KM54 and M582 are as close as it can be. While you are right that there are differences and I like your description of the differences, I'm not aware of any mic that sounds closer to a KM54.

I have 4 M582 and lots of capsules, all serviced by Andreas Grosser and Siegfried Thiersch and they all sound about the same. Maybe its the service or maybe some mods from Andreas, don't know.
Agree, if those sounds the same, why to keep Km54 for when you can get plenty of M582?
Old 12th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simma Lugnt View Post
Agree, if those sounds the same, why to keep Km54 for when you can get plenty of M582?
:-)
Why not? I love mics!
And as said, there are some differences!
Old 12th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
:-)
Why not? I love mics!
And as said, there are some differences!
You 're a real $lut
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

I figured this thread is not too old to resurrect, and I did not feel a new one was warranted for my specific question soooo. . .

Peter Z, it would be helpful to me if you explained some details on the differences between the m582 and the km54. And also of your experience with the different capsules on the m582. Thanks in advance.
Old 24th May 2015
Gear Addict

Hi Swing!

The M94 is more or less a KK54. Electronics are different, of course, as the K54 uses an AC701 tube, the M582 an EC92. I think the capsule is the main part of the sound.

Capsules:
SDC cardoid:
M94, nickel, with a treble boost, same as the screw mounted M62
M70 nickel, with bass roll off

SDC omni:
M93, gold, with a treble lift, same as rhe screw mounted M58
M69 gold, linear

LDC:
M71, cardoid
UM70, cardoid, omni, 8, you need a mod on the M582 to use this capsule.

All capsules are great in my opinion. That's the fun with the M582, a good mic with lots of great capsules.

Andreas Grosser once told me there are 2 generations of the M93 capsule, said the old ones are better.
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear

If the best and price no concern, I would seriously think about a pair of Sandhill 6011 A friend of mine has all those vintage Neumanns, Siemens and Gefells and he says that after getting Sandhills he does not use them almost at all (on guitars etc.). I reached a similar stage with Schoeps for other acoustic instruments (after trying Sandhills)
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Swing!

The M94 is more or less a KK54. Electronics are different, of course, as the K54 uses an AC701 tube, the M582 an EC92. I think the capsule is the main part of the sound.

Capsules:
SDC cardoid:
M94, nickel, with a treble boost, same as the screw mounted M62
M70 nickel, with bass roll off

SDC omni:
M93, gold, with a treble lift, same as rhe screw mounted M58
M69 gold, linear

LDC:
M71, cardoid
UM70, cardoid, omni, 8, you need a mod on the M582 to use this capsule.

All capsules are great in my opinion. That's the fun with the M582, a good mic with lots of great capsules.

Andreas Grosser once told me there are 2 generations of the M93 capsule, said the old ones are better.
Thanks for the info. I have two mv691 and two m582 w/ps modified by Andreas. So far I've found the m94 cardioids (original w/o reskin) and m93 omnis (Thiersch reskinned) to sound very good any time I want to use them.

But I still need to learn the um70 multi-pattern and the m70 cardioids (both Thiersch reskinned). I thought I'd be more pleased with the um70 (Thiersch reskinned) on saxophones. But so far I have been more pleased with a Coles 4038 ribbon over any of my gefell. This week I will have some clarinet and sax pieces to record and so will try the um70 and some of the other gefell again.

I do not record guitar, so my comments are not in keeping with the thread of the OP.
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
If the best and price no concern, I would seriously think about a pair of Sandhill 6011 A friend of mine has all those vintage Neumanns, Siemens and Gefells and he says that after getting Sandhills he does not use them almost at all (on guitars etc.). I reached a similar stage with Schoeps for other acoustic instruments (after trying Sandhills)
Thanks ISedlacek, I am a ribbon guy. My first was a RCA 44BX that I used with a V76m and it sounded gloriously vintage on tenor sax. But I sold those when my kids took over my life. Now I am using a Coles 4038, which is little more polite and a little less godlike than my prior setup and I am still very happy with it. My extra years have come with mortal humility, it seems.

But I have been planning to try a pair of Coles 4050, mostly for piano. A pair of Marik's MF65 are appealing too (because of piano more and not for wind instruments) but the price is probably prohibitive for me, and so would be the price of the Sandhill.

But thanks for the mention, I'll keep on the lookout to try the Sandhill.
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

Sandhill ribbons differ in principle from the usual ribbons (that are mostly clones of the old models). The sound is also quite different, with another level of details, 3D space and before all - natural sound.
Old 25th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
Thanks ISedlacek, I am a ribbon guy. ......
I'd say ribbons are on the other side of the spectrum in relation to KM54 or the Gefell capsules. Not sure if you will be happy with any of the nickel capsules. Like blond or black hairs. Either can be beautiful but if you prefer one over the other ......
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd say ribbons are on the other side of the spectrum in relation to KM54 or the Gefell capsules. Not sure if you will be happy with any of the nickel capsules. Like blond or black hairs. Either can be beautiful but if you prefer one over the other ......
You might be right, and that could explain why the m70 has not immediately thrilled me. But I have not yet spent enough time with the m70 and so I cannot yet make a firm conclusion. But the m94 has sounded very, very good to me. Anyway, I can't always use only ribbons (esp. as I have just the Coles 4038 right now) so I need to learn where I can use the gefell . . .
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

To no ones great surprise gear folks will have lots of gear advice and the value of this thread is highly questionable for the following reason. Acoustic guitars and mandolins have unique sonic signatures and there is no perfect mic for all guitars and mandolins at any price! Only for a specific instrument.
Old 26th May 2015
Absolutely, which is why a well-equipped mic locker is not a bad investment. Does not invalidate the thread, though, everyone has their fav's.

Today, on my Weber mandolin, my new ADK Vienna was perfect. Never had used that before on mando, always SDC. Good to experiment.

Last edited by diamondjim; 26th May 2015 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 26th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
To no ones great surprise gear folks will have lots of gear advice and the value of this thread is highly questionable for the following reason. Acoustic guitars and mandolins have unique sonic signatures and there is no perfect mic for all guitars and mandolins at any price! Only for a specific instrument.

No, but in my opinion, a Lauten Atlantis is about as close as it gets.
Old 27th May 2015
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
Not quite...the Royer SF24
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search