The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Has Anyone Tried the JCF Latte and The Burl B2 Side by Side?
Old 17th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
The way that converter works is pretty strange(unique) it has a really clean AD>pres and the DA has the tape electronics on it, so the way you get the tape sound is that it has internal routing that routes the DA output thru the electronics and back thru the AD and to AES/SPIDF. I hope i explained it correctly, if not im sure Doc will be be able to correct me if im wrong.
The ADC on the Latte is insanely accurate, clean - and doesn't screw up the signal. It keeps it intact and 100% identical to the way the input sounds. It sounds about as colored as a piece of wire to me. Anyway, yes the Latte allows the user to send whatever the "DMT" section is doing [Mic preamp mode / D to A mode / Tape Reproduce mode] directly to the ADC inside the unit. This analog signal is also present at the Analog outputs of the Latte, so it can be patched into other processing equipment, and back into the line inputs.
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, now if i only had 5k laying around
If only...they seem to be going for $7,400 right now
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
If only...they seem to be going for $7,400 right now
Yeah i got 2.5k saved for converters so far and it seems like everytime i make a decision i switch it up, im more lost than ever now
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah i got 2.5k saved for converters so far and it seems like everytime i make a decision i switch it up, im more lost than ever now
Yeah, right - ain't that always the case...

In the market myself for a quality ADC (for final stage after summing), and the Latte looks incredible - if it were around $5k it would be mighty enticing, but at $7.4k it's not even a consideration.

Probably leaning towards the Burl, or for the same price range possibly a Pure2 or Hilo (added benefit of a DAC as well).
Old 17th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
The ADC on the Latte is insanely accurate, clean - and doesn't screw up the signal. It keeps it intact and 100% identical to the way the input sounds. It sounds about as colored as a piece of wire to me. Anyway, yes the Latte allows the user to send whatever the "DMT" section is doing [Mic preamp mode / D to A mode / Tape Reproduce mode] directly to the ADC inside the unit. This analog signal is also present at the Analog outputs of the Latte, so it can be patched into other processing equipment, and back into the line inputs.
Ok so then the DA (dmt) part is present in the actual audio signal due to the routing in the converter. Interesting...Also I didn't think about the summing aspect... Is this the only DA converter that can impart actual sonic coloration to audio?
Old 17th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
Ok so then the DA (dmt) part is present in the actual audio signal due to the routing in the converter. Interesting...Also I didn't think about the summing aspect... Is this the only DA converter that can impart actual sonic coloration to audio?
The "DMT" [which stands for 1-Digital 2-Micpre 3-Tape In] is a transformer-coupled discrete amplifier. This is the "character" part of the unit. In simpler terms, it sounds like an "old Ampex Master Stereo Tape Deck", because it shares the same "reproduce playback amplifier" circuits.

It is a selectable pair of "lush" [...as someone said earlier] rich sounding amplifiers for the following setups;

1) Microphone Preamplifiers
2) AES/EBU DAC Amplifiers
3) 15 or 30IPS lo-z tape head reproduce amplifiers

Any of these options will feed the Analog outputs.

The only other "strong character DA" I can think of is the DA-8v,

Of course, IMHO, every unit has its own character/color to it. Its just a degree of specific flavor/vibe. The Latte just so happens to be oozing with character/vibe because it uses electronics inspired by a vintage tape recorder. Same for the DA-8v.
Old 11th March 2016
Gear Guru

The Latte is great.my mastering friend neighbor swears its the best..he has many.
I just cant get down with the Colored Da for monitoring my final mix.
I want clean/pristine.
Old 11th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Hi Doc (Mixwell):
Is that true that JCF can build a Latte for less if we don't need the preamps, and it will make it under 5 K?
dan
Old 11th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Hi Doc (Mixwell):
Is that true that JCF can build a Latte for less if we don't need the preamps, and it will make it under 5 K?
Or they will take something else out as well?
dan
Old 11th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan le View Post
Hi Doc (Mixwell):
dan
Hi dan le,

JCF Audio does manufacture custom equipment to specification. They do incredible things over there. Check it out;

Custom |

Sadly, I cannot say what a custom JCF piece will cost you.

You would need to contact them directly,

peace
a.j.b
Old 13th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan le View Post
Hi Doc (Mixwell):
dan
Hi Dan, I e-mailed Josh a few years back about the standalone Latte ADC.. your looking at 6K. Not far off the Latte cost at the time, anything custom your paying more for design and time. By the way its a lot of money, but absolutely worth it if you want the best conversion on planet earth.
Old 13th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
The Latte is great.my mastering friend neighbor swears its the best..he has many.
I just cant get down with the Colored Da for monitoring my final mix.
I want clean/pristine.
what are you using for clean DA? What signs do you look for when comparing?
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyespinoza View Post
Nope. Never heard the Forssell converters.

The Latte is a lot more than a converter. I use it as a mic pre as well. It has a tone -- more like an instrument (think of guitar pickups that you play to by ear, or the analog filters in a synth) than a technological piece of the signal chain (which is more what the Burl is like).
is it possible to AD mic preamp and line input at the same time, so we would have 4 analog audio info through two aes digital outputs ?
Old 17th May 2018
not possible
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

both great. make music
Old 18th May 2018
RAA
Here for the gear
I use to work at Atlanta Pro Audio and one day Nick Didia was looking for a 2 channel AD/DA for his summing setup and I let him demo a 2192, a B2 Bomber and a Latte. He said the Latte was pretty much exactly what he was looking for. It imparted that last stage in his mixing that he was looking for besides whatever else he was using on his master bus. He would have bought it except for the price tag and since he had experienced it compared to the others, decided to wait until he could afford it or find something similar. Since he moved to Australia or New Zealand, I have no idea what he ended up getting. SO basically, he preferred it to the B2 and 2192 as far as imparting the finished sound he was looking for.
Old 19th May 2018
Gear Addict

@ RAA I miss APA having a physical store. It was about the only facility in the Atlanta area that would sell high end pro audio.

The behemoth across-the-street didn’t count.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search