The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's The Best 2 Channel ADC/DAC for $5,000?
Old 20th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
you could grab a Hilo and a Burl B2 AD so use Hilo when you want transparent, or use the B2 when you want to insert some transformers into the signal.
Since everything I'm doing is "In-The-Box" using VSTs and samples, what's the point of having the Burl AD if I'm only using my AD to cut vocals, and maybe some stereo acoustic guitars etc?

Wouldn't using a mic pre that gives you that Neve sound like the Portico 5017 or some other pre provide that "Warmth" or "Color you're looking for vs. having to have the Burl AD?

I could see the Burl AD making a difference if you were cutting a live band situation but since everything is in the box, then how does the AD help?

It seems to me that the Burl DAC would be what makes the difference in the mix since everything else (except vocals) is in the box.

Is what I'm thinking correct?

Thanks!

SEA
Old 20th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
On the DAC side I way prefer Forssell over e.g. Lavry Blue, Lavry Black, ULN-8, Lynx Aurora, Mytek 192... the list goes on...
Could not agree more...The Forssell DAC is really one of the best out there.
Old 20th September 2014
Lives for gear

I have Burl AD and Hilo. Burl set to its lowest setting (not pushing the transformers) its amazingly clean sounding and not that different for other high end 'transparent' converters. Here it is not that different from Hilo. But once you begin to drive the transformers, it begins to sound VERY VERY different to Hilo or any other high end transparent converter. I use the Burl between my SSL Sigma and my DAW converter to capture my summed mixes. I like it set to -20dB input level to just tap those transformers after hitting my Sigma hard. Love it. I use my Hilo as my mastering hub and converter. I also have a Prism Orpheus connected to my Hilo so that I can audition different DA/AD combinations. Love it. But Burl and Hilo are close when the Burl is closed, but VERY different when the Burl transformer is hit. So again, at $5k a Hilo and Burl would significantly open up your possibilities!
Old 21st September 2014
To the OP, you said you do mostly virtual instruments? I agree that using the highest quality DAC you can get is the most important thing initially. If the couple of mic'd instruments you have are recorded as cleanly as possible, the mix decisions you make will make a much greater impact on the final product.
Old 7th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Save for a little while longer and get a JCF Audio Latte
Hey Doc!

Have you heard the JCF Latte and Forssell MADA-2 side by side?

If so can you share your findings?

Thanks!
Old 7th October 2014
Lives for gear

Check out the new Antelope Pure2 !!
Old 7th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
Check out the new Antelope Pure2 !!
Looks nice!

Now will have to AB that next to the Forssell MADA-2 and Latte!
Old 7th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
Hey Doc!

Have you heard the JCF Latte and Forssell MADA-2 side by side?

If so can you share your findings?

Thanks!
no, sorry I didn't compare it
Old 7th October 2014
Lives for gear

Didn't compare it with few latest converters, but after Lavry Gold (which is IMO few of the very top end converters) only Forssell conversion sounded on same great level of details and even slightly truer to original.
If high resolution and no artificial 'improving' is task for conversion than MADA is a ticket.
Frankly speaking, after getting it I stopped to look for better and it never happenned before.
It is really so good.
Old 31st May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Didn't compare it with few latest converters, but after Lavry Gold (which is IMO few of the very top end converters) only Forssell conversion sounded on same great level of details and even slightly truer to original.
If high resolution and no artificial 'improving' is task for conversion than MADA is a ticket.
Frankly speaking, after getting it I stopped to look for better and it never happenned before.
It is really so good.
Ya! Saving up for a MADA-2 now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search